Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Does anyone know where they will place the fourth parallel runway? I always thought they would place it in between the two runways where the intermodal yard is; is that not the case anymore? Is there enough room still for it?

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/Airport/Pages/CLT2015FutureProposedProjects.aspx

It is strange how often I see maps and plans and things that are then impossible to find even with actively searching.   There were definitely aerial maps available somewhere that shows how it fits in.  It is quite close to the middle parallel runway.  

Edit: 

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/airport/aboutclt/documents/noise%20program/slaapresentationpublicmeeting5-22-13.pdf

Here is a presentation that has it in there.  It is on slide 4 with a blue/grey color.

Yea thank you! This is what I was trying to find but I couldn't. I still do not understand why it takes so long to get FAA support in funding for a new control tower. CLT's control tower is extremely outdated; you can hardly see it from the runway. 

Thanks. That's the one I was thinking of, as it showed a lot of the future state under construction and planning now.

Looking at the long term plan. How will they connect the terminals? Tram?

I think they would pretty much following the model of ATL with travelator/moving sidewalks and possible tram.   

That is clearly a good model to follow as they handle an outrageous number of passengers, and the world will continue to grow due to the joys of human reproduction.  But obviously this is decades out. 

That is a very efficient layout that was used by the last 2 major airports to be built in the US (ATL and DEN). ATL opened around 1980 and Denver opened in the early 90s - both use the same layout although Denver has room for additional growth (up to 12 runways, I think). ATL is pretty much built out.

One thing that it seems like Charlotte Douglas is going to have to address sooner rather than later is the bottleneck that's created for planes moving around the terminal to get to the runway - in particular from Concourse E to the center runway.  They'll need to figure out a more efficient way to move planes around - so long as there's only one runway on the east side.

City Council approved the spending of $1.7M to install 24 Automated Passport Control kiosks in the International Arrivals area. It sounds like these should be ready for the summer travel season. You have to be a USA Passport holder to use the kiosks. They are currently in use in Chicago and JFK and have shown to decrease the wait times for Passport Control. Anyone have experience using these machines?

These kiosks are free to use and are separate from Global Entry.

Currently the Avg Wait time at CLT is 52 minutes for Passport Control. It is estimated the new kiosks will cut that time in half.

1dE5OX.AuSt.5.jpg

Napa is 1.5 hrs from Sacramento... Just Sayin

And San Francisco is about an hour away :) I think depending on traffic it might be closer to an hour and half drive from SFO since the airport is south of downtown. I usually take BART from SFO to downtown though so that's a guess.

Norwegian air is lobbying Anthony Foxx for more US destinations.  

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/01/15/4614089/norwegian-low-fare-carrier-lobbies.html#.Utgl_tJdV8E

This is the extremely low cost carrier that offers flights from LAX, JFK and Orlando right now to Europe.  I've found flights from JFK to Oslo for under $500 round trip before.

The CEO told the Observer that he believes Charlotte is an under-served market from Europe and a "long-term destination in the U.S."

Not sure how much of that is just fluff and manners though.  But let's hope!

Downside to the USAir / AA merger:

Wilmington, Fayetteville, Jacksonville and Myrtle Beach are among the 17 cities losing nonstop service to D.C. due to Obama/Holder/DoJ merger shakedown.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20140115/ARTICLES/140119789/0/FRONTPAGE#gsc.tab=0

I think it's very fair and US/American retained more slots than I wouldve thougt.

Other mergers under different administrations required just as deep of cuts.

And Re: Norwegian... Charlotte is like the most overserved city to Europe but :) maybe CLT could get a flight to woo Foxx

Edited by AirNostrumMAD