Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

^ Hidden city  ticketing (the process described above) is a much debated topic at places like flyertalk. As best I can tell the consensus opinion on it is that it is not illegal do do it, but it appears that airlines are within their rights to charge you the 'correct' fare if they catch you doing it.

In practice it appears that airlines don't devote much energy to tracking down folks who take advantage of the situation (e.g. by skipping their last flight leg) since there are legitimate reasons why someone may decide to skip their last flight (delays or alternative modes becoming more attractive en route). The folks at Flyertalk would suggest that as long as you don't call attention to yourself doing it (like New Name did above) or do it habitually on the same flights then its considered a generally safe practice. I do it occasionally from here to Chicago on United, booking a ticket to Milwaukee via Ohair is much cheaper than a direct to Chicago flight -- never had a problem.

A good way around this is to book a multi-city trip from CLT to your destination and then return to a city that US only flies to out of CLT, like Greenville, NC or Fayetteville, NC (or even check Raleigh). Carry your bags on, and on the way back, just hop off in Charlotte and don't board the last leg of your return flight. To do this, you better be certain that you are in zones 1,2, or 3 or your luggage may be checked and might go on to that final destination. But I am always in zone 1 and I've done this countless times to save money. My boss and I have a running joke that the guys that man the counters at concourse E have it out for me because I do it so often. They must see my name on the list and think, "Geez...how many times is this guy going to miss his flight?"

Thanks for the tip! I'm always on zone 1 too so that should work

So now McCrory says the city should keep control of the airport and it is time for Orr to go.

Of course one quote sums it up:  When asked if he wished McCrory had spoken out sooner, Dulin said: “We would have loved to have his support last winter. This might have been averted.”

Source: Observer

Edited by Urbanity

So now McCrory says the city should keep control of the airport and it is time for Orr to go.

Of course one quote sums it up:  When asked if he wished McCrory had spoken out sooner, Dulin said: “We would have loved to have his support last winter. This might have been averted.”

Source: Observer

I hear he is going to take a stance against the Spanish Inquisition next week.

• Like 3

^ No.  The commision and Vinroot says they will only back away now if the face of the CHarlotte statue at the airport is reworked to bear more resemblance to Ruth Samuelson and all flight stewards announce upon arrival at CLT "Welcome to Charlotte International Airport where the Republicans who espouse Smaller Government want you to acknowledge they could've totally owned this airport just because..."

Ironically it is not the gist of the announcement itself that the Democrats are fighting only the grammatically incorrect syntax.  As for the statue they said it already looks like Ruth, posture and all...

• Like 1

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/11/26/4499540/lufthansa-we-plan-to-keep-flying.html#.UpU8digw3CE

Well this is nice, happy to at least here Lufthansa say they will stay at least for the short term. A way for this to perhaps work is maybe for United to increase it's presence out of Charlotte. That can provide more code-share feed to the route.

According to the Misery Map, a live map that combines real-time weather and flight data, the most miserable airport in the country is currently Charlotte, followed closely by all New York area airports. Feel free to share your Thanksgiving travel misery with all of us.

http://gawker.com/according-to-the-misery-map-a-live-map-that-combines-r-1472956837

On the bright side, they just said Charlotte (no NC).

According to the Misery Map, a live map that combines real-time weather and flight data, the most miserable airport in the country is currently Charlotte, followed closely by all New York area airports. Feel free to share your Thanksgiving travel misery with all of us.

http://gawker.com/according-to-the-misery-map-a-live-map-that-combines-r-1472956837

On the bright side, they just said Charlotte (no NC).

ahahhaaha at this comment:

Desi_Relaford:

That is impossible as long as the Brookwood Farms BBQ and Bojangles are still open.

Today 8:25pm

Edited by kickazzz2000
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There was an article in the Observer yesterday about the US Airways/American airlines merger being completed. 

There were 2 major newsworthy items:

1)  Terri Pope, VP of Charlotte hub for the new American says that Charlotte flights will increase to over 700 daily in the near future (currently there are 660 between US and AA)

2)  Brent Cagle, interim director says that the International Terminal will need to begin soon to accomodate growth.  The rental car facilities will finish relocating in Nov 2014, and that construction should begin in 12 months on the new International Terminal.  The anticipate issuing bonds to pay for it in 8-10 months....so it looks like Dec of next year this thing should begin, a couple months ahead of schedule from when it was first announced by Orr several years ago.

Glad that we'll have over 700 flights out of CLT for the new American. Hopefully that means new routes that may or may not of been announced already too. Only downfall is the inevitable price increase. Just hope that Delta/United/SW/JetBlue adds some competition. I don't mind paying an extra $125-150 just to get a non-stop flight somewhere, but that gap is starting to widen where it will be hard to justify spending the extra money. I know the problem isn't just here, it's every airport. I had a work function in Dallas recently and half my co-workers who live in large Northeastern cities, with non-stop access to DFW, had to connect through Charlotte because it was substantially cheaper. They used to not have to do that. But our company wouldn't allow them to spend $700 for a ticket when it was half that if you went through CLT or ATL. 

Channel 9 had a story about the closing of the merger deal.  They went with a sensational teaser about whether CLT would remain a hub or not, then interviewed some guy at the airport that said it definitely took longer than usual to check in probably due to the two companies integrating their computer systems.   Hours after the closing.  Right.

Gotta love the news media.

Edited by kickazzz2000
  • Like 1

Channel 9 had a story about the closing of the merger deal.  They went with a sensational teaser about whether CLT would remain a hub or not, then interviewed some guy at the airport that said it definitely took longer than usual to check in probably due to the two companies integrating their computer systems.   Hours after the closing.  Right.

I HEARD THEY GROUNDED THE FLIGHTS TO PUT NEW DECALS ON THE SIDES OF THE PLANES :shok:

• Like 1

I just had to look this up...

http://www.wsoctv.com/videos/news/us-airways-american-airlines-merger-is-complete/vCK22H/

Here is an interesting turn in the airport city vs. commission saga.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/12/17/4551614/airport-commission-faces-a-decision.html#.UrD9brTB-So

It seems as if the state sponsored shield for Jerry Orr's job, the airport commission, is considering dropping him as it's director.  Ironically, the airport commission was created in part to protect Mr. Orr from the city.  Who would have thought that the commission legislation would likely be the death knell for his career?

What's even more interesting is that, according to the article, the city is considering bringing Jerry Orr back on as a consultant during this critical juncture in the airports future.  Mr. Orr has stated his intent to walk away no later than June 2015.

Finally, Johnny Harris, one of the prime movers in this drama has resigned his position as a member of the oversight committee, and the Gaston member has resigned from the commission itself.  It appears that the commission itself is imploding.

Despite my feelings regarding Jerry Orr's arrogance, I think he is probably the best aviation director in the country, and CLT did better than anyone could have imagined under his leadership.  I have every confidence in Brent Cagle; he was hand picked by Orr himself.  However a true changing of the guard with an appropriate amount of turnover would likely serve only to benefit the community.  With a 1+ billion dollar expansion underway, the opening of a new intermodal terminal, the AA/US merger, the renewal of the AA/US lease, and the potential to land a Boeing final assembly plant, it is time for the city and the state to put aside their differences and do what's in the best interest of the city.  Since the commission is seemingly cracking, the state should repeal the legislation entirely.  Additionally, the city should rehire Orr as a consultant at a minimum.  A proper turnover between Mr. Orr and Mr. Cagle is in the best interest of all parties involved; legal wrangling can serve only to harm the airport as well as both the city and the state. 

• Like 2

I was reading some tweets for the CLT airport commission meeting that's going on tonight. Brent Cagle was giving some updates on construction projects. Most of it is info we already knew. However he did confirm again that the International terminal could very well start construction in late 2014. Tentatively to have 18-22 gates. I think that might be new news. Or at least to me it is. Always thought it would be a bit smaller to start. Perhaps AA merger is accelerating those plans.

It's a shame about Orr as he did something with CLT that I doubt many would have been able to replicate.  

Unfortunately I think he got drunk on the smell of his own, uhm success, and forgot at the end that he wasn't a king and it wasn't an empire.   He made a bad gamble and lost.  Hopefully the last year will be but a small and forgettable blemish in an otherwise amazing history of his career andachievements at CLT.

^ There's an article on WCNC about the audit at the airport revealing discrepancies.  I thought this quote at the end was really interesting, and kinda sad:

“Everyday I’m not there to run the airport, is a day lost,” said Orr.

Really?  So the current airport leadership is so bad and only Orr can make things run well?