Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

What I'd like to know at this point, with Orr out and Harris out and the prospect of the commission succeeding seemingly diminishing by the day, will the GOP legislators attempt a compromise or are they that self righteous that they are willing to suffer even further embarrassment if all of their effort was for naught.  I know Ruccho is a arrogant SOB and won't bend.

Last night going to park & Go, I saw a Kiss & Park lot. Has anyone parked there or known anything about it. In the paper it was open in last week by the airport?

It's a lot where someone can be dropped off and picked up by shuttle. They're trying it as an alternative to the cluster that is the dropoff area.

The "kiss and park" not is not a whole lot different than just dropping someone off at a long term lot and just not parking there. They are doing it at the LT4 lot, which is a long way from the airport. I wouldn't be surprised if it was dead. Who would want to be dropped off where they have to take a bus to the airport when you can just drive straight up to the departures gates anyway? I'd rather wait a few minutes in line to be dropped off at the gate.

Edited by ScottCLT

The West Terminal Expansion is coming along nicely (sorry for the crappy image).  That said, the airport is still facing challenges with infrastructure.  Over the past five days, during the busiest travel days of the year, eight out of 20 moving sidewalks were not operational (two of those being major as they are the ones that connect the terminal to Concourses D & E).  Jerry might be gone, but his cheap legacy continues.

The West Terminal Expansion is coming along nicely (sorry for the crappy image).  That said, the airport is still facing challenges with infrastructure.  Over the past five days, during the busiest travel days of the year, eight out of 20 moving sidewalks were not operational (two of those being major as they are the ones that connect the terminal to Concourses D & E).  Jerry might be gone, but his cheap legacy continues.

Speaking of cheap, I wish they would get rid of the horrendous "Welcome to Charlotte" NASCAR themed painting on that concrete wall off Josh Birmingham Pkwy. Also, you guys need to post more construction pictures of everything going on around town for those of us who don't live in Charlotte! :)

• Like 1

Speaking of cheap, I wish they would get rid of the horrendous "Welcome to Charlotte" NASCAR themed painting on that concrete wall off Josh Birmingham Pkwy. Also, you guys need to post more construction pictures of everything going on around town for those of us who don't live in Charlotte! :)

I agree.  That Nascar Welcome to Charlotte sign is so ugly!  I've always wondered why they got rid of the "Welcome" signs that were in many different languages.  It showed how International Charlotte was.....wish they would bring those back!

• Like 1

Well, since the new airport entrance road is nearing completion, the checkered flag will greet far fewer visitors fairly soon.    

• Like 1

I agree.  That Nascar Welcome to Charlotte sign is so ugly!  I've always wondered why they got rid of the "Welcome" signs that were in many different languages.  It showed how International Charlotte was.....wish they would bring those back!

I forgot about those...I always go to the airport taking Wilkinson to Little Rock Rd, so I haven't been by there in a while. They took those down??? That's ridiculous.

When were the "Welcome" signs removed? I recall a single sign that said Welcome to Charlotte in many languages, but I can't recall multiple signs.

Can someone provide details on the new airport entrance road? The details on the airport are confusing. Will the project affect one who comes to the airport via I-85 from the city?

Some good news is that AA and US have a frequent flier agreement now so that anyone traveling can earn miles on either their US or AA account. Elite/Preferred miles won't be combined between the two until later, but you can earn Elite/Preferred miles on either now. Also, US and AA are offering reciprocal club access everywhere. So it's kind of a nice time to fly as a US Preferred member. You can basically earn miles on every major US airline except for Delta.

When were the "Welcome" signs removed? I recall a single sign that said Welcome to Charlotte in many languages, but I can't recall multiple signs.

Can someone provide details on the new airport entrance road? The details on the airport are confusing. Will the project affect one who comes to the airport via I-85 from the city?

It's been about 2 or 3 years now....and they were actually several signs.  One was in Russian, the next one was Mandarin, another one was French, one in German and one was Spanish.  The last one was in English. They were back to back, as you drove past them. I think what would be really amazing is if they had one gigantic sign that had 20 to 30 languages on it with English in big font and maybe even one that said it in Southern "Welcome ya'll" lol

Edited by Temeteron

The intermodal yard, which is operational now, shows up on the latest Google Earth imagery. (in classic fashion, it's not on google maps yet.)

Of the numerous stupid things that are done, I am impressed someone had not only the idea to do this (excellent and efficient land-use/siting), but also that it passed through the bureaucratic/political process somehow and didn't get quashed.

^ nope [in reference to Nowensome's post]. The general freight yard (adjacent to Amtrak) will remain along with the mainline tracks. The intermodal yard is only the 30% (?) of the rail yard space which fronts Brevard. The land will become the BLE service yard and may also eventually house the 'Passenger Rail Bypass Tracks' which will allow Amtrak/NCRR/SEHSR to access Gateway without slowing to yard speed.

If you look at the satellite view on google maps the intermodal yard is clearly visible as the concrete portion of the parcel between Tryon and Brevard/Parkwood just about everything without concrete will remain as rail use.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=35.239678,-80.820901&spn=0.010252,0.021908&t=h&z=16

Edited by kermit