Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

observer has a piece up about CLT. Interim director guy has this to say about the new international terminal...

• Cagle is assessing whether to speed up projects such as a planned new international concourse, which would be located where the rental car lots currently are. The rental cars will move into the new hourly parking decks being built in front of the terminal.

“It is a strong possibility that that international terminal will need to built sooner than we had thought even a year ago,” said Cagle. “We think that construction on that facility will need to start soon.” The airport had previously been exploring whether to start building the terminal in spring 2015.

Cagle said construction on the new terminal and could start with a smaller 8- to 10-gate facility connected via walkway to Concourse A.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/10/30/4427391/cagle-focused-on-airport-growth.html#storylink=cpy

observer has a piece up about CLT. Interim director guy has this to say about the new international terminal...

• Cagle is assessing whether to speed up projects such as a planned new international concourse, which would be located where the rental car lots currently are. The rental cars will move into the new hourly parking decks being built in front of the terminal.

“It is a strong possibility that that international terminal will need to built sooner than we had thought even a year ago,” said Cagle. “We think that construction on that facility will need to start soon.” The airport had previously been exploring whether to start building the terminal in spring 2015.

Cagle said construction on the new terminal and could start with a smaller 8- to 10-gate facility connected via walkway to Concourse A.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/10/30/4427391/cagle-focused-on-airport-growth.html#storylink=cpy

Two things I really liked hearing from Cagle in that article: “Asked to define some of the differences between himself and Orr, Cagle said he believes his leadership style is more collaborative.

“My style is to focus on communication and to build collaboration and teams,” said Cagle. “I honestly believe that the best organizations are really not a reflection of one person. They’re really a reflection of the quality of management in the organization.”

And this one I've been complaining about for years--finally someone at the top feels the same way: "Our challenge is going to be how to balance our need to be conscious about price for our business partners, but also provide a good business value,” he said. “Sometimes cheap is just cheap.”  Amen, Brother Cagle.  Amen!

I think building an 8-10 gate International Terminal, to start with, is a good approach. I don't think you need to built it with the 25 gates right away (we're not JFK by any means). This way you get it up, to start serving the International destinations. Then over time add the gates as needed once demand for the international destinations grows (like we hope). I would imagine this would appease AA/US Airways as well.

^ I wonder if Parker has told CLT management of some new route possibilities that are likely to start upon the merger? Thus the need to hurry up. Of course that's pure speculation but seems like a main reason why the landscape would have changed in just 1 year...

I'd say with D & E annex.... There is no room now for all the international traffic. Also, maybe the new International terminal would give us a larger customs area which is was we also really lack.

I always thought that 25 gates for an International Terminal was too much. 10 gates seems like a good number, especially if the new facility (I'll call it Concourse F) will be used in conjunction with D.

There are so many details about the project that are vague. I would like to know:

-Will the new International Facility have a separate roadway entrance?

-It previously planned to include 3 levels. One level for Ticketing/Gates, another for FIS, and another for Baggage Claim. Is this still the case?

-Is the a plan in place to assist passengers connecting from the new Concourse F to say Concourse E? That's way too far to walk.

I still would like to know if the construction for the Concourse A annex is going on as planned.

I always thought that 25 gates for an International Terminal was too much. 10 gates seems like a good number, especially if the new facility (I'll call it Concourse F) will be used in conjunction with D.

There are so many details about the project that are vague. I would like to know:

-Will the new International Facility have a separate roadway entrance?

-It previously planned to include 3 levels. One level for Ticketing/Gates, another for FIS, and another for Baggage Claim. Is this still the case?

-Is the a plan in place to assist passengers connecting from the new Concourse F to say Concourse E? That's way too far to walk.

I still would like to know if the construction for the Concourse A annex is going on as planned.

I was told by a facilities employee at CLT that the international terminal wouldn't be exclusively "international" during off-peak times.  

As for the roadway, according to the plans, the terminal simply has separate entrance and exit points for ticketing and baggage off the main entrance road currently under construction.  

Connections to concourse E & D will be via moving sidewalks that will be constructed between the new parking garage and the current ATC Tower.  You won't have to go through the main terminal. The best way to explain it is by looking at a diagram of Minneapolis/St Paul Airport.

So I could just hop onto the light rail to get from Terminals..... DOOOOOOOAH!

Actually, the train at MSP only connects A, C & D concourses (which are actually one single in-line building along the entrance road leading to the terminal (they only have gates on one side).  There is another train that takes you from the rental car counters to the rental cars.  And the actual HIawatha Line (downtown Minneapolis to the Mall of America) that connects Lindbergh Terminal (legacy and international carriers) to the Hubert Humphrey Terminal (Southwest and Sun Country).

Looks like the ball is back in the FAA court.  Anyone think they know how this is going to turn out?

Although Foxx has stated that he would stay out of Charlotte affairs for a year, I am pretty sure that he is influencing the FAA. If I was to predict anything, the city of Charlotte will eventually win. I would be quite surprised if the new commission gets approval from the FAA.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5913179/

Pretty entertaining discussion going on about our airport haha

The ignorance of Charlotte from the children on that site makes me cringe... Having a negative opinion is one thing. Having no idea what you're talking about is another ball game...

• Like 1

I read on another site that British Airways is looking to add 5 US destinations with the 787, and many agree that Charlotte with AA/US would be on the short list.   Unfortunately this would probably eventually be a "replacement" for Lufthansa since its unsure how they will survive in CLT without US.   Take this for what it is worth.   I think CLT would still be on the shortlist even if US/AA didn't merge and US stayed in Star alliance.   I suppose this is positive news though, so i thought i would report it.

I read on another site that British Airways is looking to add 5 US destinations with the 787, and many agree that Charlotte with AA/US would be on the short list.   Unfortunately this would probably eventually be a "replacement" for Lufthansa since its unsure how they will survive in CLT without US.   Take this for what it is worth.   I think CLT would still be on the shortlist even if US/AA didn't merge and US stayed in Star alliance.   I suppose this is positive news though, so i thought i would report it.

I still believe Lufthansa will stay in Charlotte and just reduce their aircraft to a A333... Too many German firms in the area who are loyal Lufthansa fliers.

According to the details slots will be given up in DCA, LGA, with ORD, LAX, and MIA each losing 2 gates each... 

The gates and slots apparently will be mostly going to JetBlue and Southwest.

All the hubs in the new airline will keep "historical" status for the next three years.

I think this actually bodes well for Charlotte as no concessions were given up. Since there are no slots or gates given up at Charlotte (I still believe American will surrender their gates at Concourse A voluntarily) it should show the new American's intentions with Charlotte as they plan on keeping things at status-quo (granted the same thing could be said about PHL and PHX).

In the short term I believe JetBlue will be moved to Concourse A, American will give up their gates in Concourse A, British Airways will announce service to Charlotte to London Heathrow, US Airways will reduce their Frankfurt flight to once daily,and Lufthansa will decrease their plane size to a A333; would not be surprised to see Iberia start flying to Charlotte with service year round to Madrid to replace US Airways flight to Madrid so that American can use the aircraft for another flight. 

Hopefully shortly after we will hear news about a lease agreement extension between the new American and Charlotte and work can be finalized for an extension of Concourse A and more gates going towards Southwest, JetBlue, Frontier, and possibly even Alaskan and Spirit (my hope is that Virgin America comes). 

I really believe United will be in for a huge expansion out of Charlotte to make themselves the size of Delta's presence here as there will be no more code-sharing for United out of Charlotte due to the new American being a part of One World. 

(I could be way off on all of this)

Actually, the train at MSP only connects A, C & D concourses (which are actually one single in-line building along the entrance road leading to the terminal (they only have gates on one side).  There is another train that takes you from the rental car counters to the rental cars.  And the actual HIawatha Line (downtown Minneapolis to the Mall of America) that connects Lindbergh Terminal (legacy and international carriers) to the Hubert Humphrey Terminal (Southwest and Sun Country).

Reading about the newly formed American Airlines elsewhere led to this discussion.  :)

Just to clarify a bit regarding the Lindbergh Terminal (Terminal 1), one tram (train) is elevated and runs along concourse C.  It connects concourse D (northwest), the terminal's mall (west) and concourse A (east).  The underground tram takes people from parking ramps, rental facilities, the Transit Center and onto the terminal and back.  From the Transit Center, people can access the Hiawatha station (light rail), which is 70 feet underground.  Concourses A and B are connected by a short tunnel.  Concourses G and C are connected by a concourse connector (moving sidewalk). Concourses G, F, E & D can be reached by foot.  

Edited by Twin Citian

Updates from US CHQ in PHX: Merger closes December 5th, with US management taking the reins at DFW the following day.  US Airways signage at ticket counters and gate hold areas will begin to disappear January 6th.  One World membership slated to begin January 24th. Food in all cabins on flights longer than 2:45 in early April.  US flights/operations move at LAX, SFO, DFW, ORD, MIA, LHR January 6th.  AA operations and gates move to US facilities at CLT, PHL, LGA, BOS, PHX, DCA, the same day.  And saamh is correct, jetBlue moves to the current AA gates at CLT in January when mainline AA moves to Concourse B, and American Eagle moves to Concourse E.    

Edited by Miesian Corners
  • Like 1