Trader Building Progress

Chesapeake Pirate

At a meeting of the Downtown Norfolk Council membership this morning, Norfolk Director of Develoment Rod Woolard said they expect Dominion Enterprises to begin moving into the building in January.

Heritage Bank will be opening a branch on the first floor.

They expect the number of employees to begin working in the building to have a very positive impact on the retail and restaurants downtown, and they expect some will want to consider living downtown for the convenience of being close to work.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it is a very boring office building, but what can you expect from who designed it, but I am very happy about the much needed density in that area. It really feels like being in the heart of the city now, rather than on the edge.

Besides, not every tower can be amazing, gotta have a few bland ones to make the amazing ones stand out more. I am just happy no good old architecture had to come down for this tower to be built.

People can blame the architects all they want to, but it comes down to budget. If the company didn't want to spend $80M to make it a landmark, its their choice, and considering the type of business this building will support, I wasn't expecting anything earth shattering.

Cheaper labor/contractors. Toss in a city willing to bend to make projects happen (i.e. quicker permitting and start-up process). Add in a concrete structure. Top it off with a 12-story office on top of an 8-story garage. And you end up with a relatively inexpensive structure. I'm sure that the signature office tower (depending on the height) will be 3 times the cost of Trader if not more.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived