Trader Building Progress

Chesapeake Pirate

And it's sure to have a Trader logo, such as their current building (what was the Picus building) does.

Thinking of that, this should free up some business space in Virginia Beach. Trader also has an office in the Robin Hood Industrial park, but I am unsure is that is print or electronic.

There are a bunch of php programmer positions listed in on HamponRoads.com, so I guess they are looking for people to fill the seats.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My pictures don't give the building justice, when you see it in person it appears even more massive. I must say that Trader has definately veered my attention away from Dominion, B of A and NS towers. I love taking pictures of it from different angles for some reason.

Well, I finally saw it in person!

Positives:

(1) As many have been saying for awhile now, it fills in the space quite nicely.

(2) From Portsmouth and I264 it looks pretty good to have something popping up back behind the Main Street Row.

(3) From afar it doesn't appear as wide and stumpy as I feared it might

Negatives

(1) From the ground within a couple of blocks it is quite stumpy looking.

(2) I just don't like what's going on at the top

(3) It looks like there are steps up to the entrance, and the window cut-outs on the ground floor are a couple feet above ground. It looks, therefore, that there won't be any retail, restaurants, or cafes at the street level (at least none that would be immediately accessible from the street. BIG-time booo for that.

(2) I just don't like what's going on at the top

I kind of agree at the moment, but I'm sure it will look much different once the roof is complete and logo installed.

Check out pic 7 on site (expand to regular size) and scroll to right. The Opera House looks a block away from that height. Impressive views.

Thanks Greekboy,

That would look great here.

The tower from far away on that picture does make it look abit stubby though but I't would look great in Richmond's skyline by the River or near VCU.

They should have build the trader tower closer to the others so it would look more dense eventhough it is a filler tower for more towers to come.

I guess we'll all wait and see how the final product turns out. We're all happy to see the development and any addition to downtown is an added benefit! I just think there are those of us who realize the lack of a "wow" factor. The overall design isn't horrible but then again, its not great. CMSS has better looking buildings on their website, I'm just left wondering what happened to all the creativity? In the end, I feel as if it'll just be another downtown office building. I really wish it could have been a couple stories higher, from some views, it really does look "stumpy".

I guess we'll all wait and see how the final product turns out.

I still like the way it looks in the rendering, so I think it'll be fine when finished. It's amazing what simple things like landscaping and brick sidewalks can do too. Stubby? From a distance maybe, when your eye compares it to other taller buildings. But from street level, it's anything but.

Archived