Trader Building Progress

Chesapeake Pirate

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I bet the planning commission had a field day with that one, lol.

I agree on this. I doubt it is only men who visit this forum so lets stray away from comparing our buildings to fat women (as there surely is no shortage of fat men) lest we anger our female counterparts. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

This was not an "Oh God I hate it, what did they do to the building?" Fort Norfolk type complaint. It is more an "It's getting about that time and I'd like to see the final product" type complaint. I think vtfan pointed it out first, there is something about that top I just don't like and I'm wondering if the signage will actually help to improve this. The company name change was several months ago so I have my doubts as to whether this is the reason for the hold up.

This was not an "Oh God I hate it, what did they do to the building?" Fort Norfolk type complaint. It is more an "It's getting about that time and I'd like to see the final product" type complaint. I think vtfan pointed it out first, there is something about that top I just don't like and I'm wondering if the signage will actually help to improve this. The company name change was several months ago so I have my doubts as to whether this is the reason for the hold up.

There have been tons of negative comments on this building, but having to look at this building every single day, I really think they did a good job with this. It really fits nicely with its surroundings and I agree looks very nice at night lit up. I'm not crazy about the roof line, but when the signs go up, I think it will be nice addition to downtown.

As much as we've all complained about needing more modern architecture downtown, overall I think the city has done a nice job with all the buildings downtown, afterall can you imagine if we had towncenter crap going up in downtown? I'm counting our blessings.

There have been tons of negative comments on this building, but having to look at this building every single day, I really think they did a good job with this. It really fits nicely with its surroundings and I agree looks very nice at night lit up. I'm not crazy about the roof line, but when the signs go up, I think it will be nice addition to downtown.

As much as we've all complained about needing more modern architecture downtown, overall I think the city has done a nice job with all the buildings downtown, afterall can you imagine if we had towncenter crap going up in downtown? I'm counting our blessings.

Hey, It is better than an empty lot. 1300 people there from 9 to 5. It is an economic benefit, and it could have looked alot worse. Would it had been better if it were 30 stories, blue glass curtain-wall with a lighted art deco top ? Absolutely. But it is what i is - and it is not that bad. One step at a time...

Wow, I need to check back here more often. My statement seems to have caused a little controversy. Please don't mistake my displeasure (sp?) with a single aspect of the building with a rejection of the entire thing (or the economic benefit it brings). The one thing that I absolutely love about Trader (i'll never call it Dominion :lol: ) is the density it brings to the area. That along with the Hilton with lend a truly urban experience to an area that sorely needed it. I refuse, however, to "count our blessings" every time a developer throws whatever he feels like our way. I think there are ways to incorporate truly inspiring designs into a structure in a cost effective manner and I will continue to push for this. As long as we are always counting our blessings instead of demanding more we will never see more, I fundamentally believe this. People often liken retailers to a pack of teenage girls, where one goes the others go and what one does the others do. I think you can apply this analogy to developers as well. All it will take is one to step outside the box and do something truly original in downtown Norfolk and others will likely follow. That is my hope at least.

Guess What! Sign Installation begins Thursday! YAY!

I was an active participant on this board for a while during the concrete phases, but then got way too busy with the construction management and stopped coming to the site. I was bored tonight and was surfing a little bit and have gotten caught up on everyone's opinions of the building- very exciting. Having spent the last 2 years of my life dedicated to building Trader, I'm glad that everyone for the most part is happy with it.

No one has really commented on the sign that was erected on Saturday on Granby Street above the main entrance, I am interested in hearing peoples thoughts on this. We were trying to decide to go with shinier stainless steel letters instead of the painted aluminum- see what you think.

Anyways - like I said sign installation starts on Thursday (hopefully). The sign facing east will go first, then the sign on City Hall, then Granby, then Plume Street. All signs should be up and lit by Mid - April.

Also, the delay in the sign installation was caused by the City's design review committee. City code requires signs to be below a certain size and brightness - however none of the highrise signs (BB&T, Marriot, etc.) comply with the ordinance. It seems the other builders did not follow the city rules when installing the signs and proceeded without approval from the design committee, and by the time they were installed it was too late. By following the rules we got seriously delayed, however the Norfolk Signage code has now been revised for Trader (or really Dominion Enterprises).

By the way, the signs are very cool: They implement LED technology instead of neon which will allow them to last very long, and they also showcase day/night color changing. The letters will be black and gray during the day and white at night, and it will have red logos on the north and south faces.

Archived