Trader Building Progress

Chesapeake Pirate

you know, I have no idea what that building on the north end of the block that the Ikon is on looks like. Anyone have any shots of it, I know it is probably a boring building, but I just dont remember it.

Once the Hilton goes in, that will really become a dense area to downtown. I am so happy to see the city getting back to the density it once had.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you know, I have no idea what that building on the north end of the block that the Ikon is on looks like. Anyone have any shots of it, I know it is probably a boring building, but I just dont remember it.

Once the Hilton goes in, that will really become a dense area to downtown. I am so happy to see the city getting back to the density it once had.

There is a frame shop for pictures and art there.

The IKON building is on the corner of ?Main? and Granby. It's a nice building. Nothing too fancy as I remember. There was also the building where Beecroft and Bull ("You are what you spend on clothes, not what kind of person or what you know") was.

Also, the picture of the week looks like it is taken from the roof of the "death star" or "Darth Vader" building. The all black one on Main Street, which I believe is where the Coast Guard is. Is this correct? I think it used to be a SunTrust building some time ago before they added enough fees to their customers to move up to 150 Main Street.

The IKON building is on the corner of ?Main? and Granby. It's a nice building. Nothing too fancy as I remember. There was also the building where Beecroft and Bull ("You are what you spend on clothes, not what kind of person or what you know") was.

Also, the picture of the week looks like it is taken from the roof of the "death star" or "Darth Vader" building. The all black one on Main Street, which I believe is where the Coast Guard is. Is this correct? I think it used to be a SunTrust building some time ago before they added enough fees to their customers to move up to 150 Main Street.

SunTrust Bank used to occupy the 16 story tower across from NS on Main Street. SunTrust Bank itself is the old United Virginia Bank UVB which built that building in the late sixties...The Darth Vader Tower that you referred to sat on the old F&M Bank lot (whose building was imploded in the late eighties), F&M was purchased by Sovran Bank (the old Virginia National Bank) which became NationsBank, then Bank of America. Talk about "musical banks" ...lol

The "Picture of the Week" is taken from the roof of the Marriott

dbo

IMG_1039m1_jpg.jpg

Partners finalize deal to split Traders assets

A new company opened for business Monday in downtown Norfolk.

But this isn't some start-up, struggling to survive. It employs 6,600 people in 38 states, enjoys $850 million in annual revenue and is building a 20-story office tower.

Dominion Enterprises does have one thing in common with some smaller firms - getting started took longer than expected because it was more complicated than anticipated.

Six months after it was announced, Landmark Communications Inc. and Cox Enterprises finally finalized the deal to split the assets of Trader Publishing Co. The companies had been partners in Trader, the classified advertising firm based in Norfolk.

Archived