Trader Building Progress

Chesapeake Pirate

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sucks. But Rus's pics are definitely tiding me over until then. Thanks Rus!

Perhaps thats why we aren't getting an update coz Rus hooked us up with one already haha. Cant wait to see Dbo's update from his perspective(s) though.

I went down to the NorVa and MacArthur this evening (technically yesterday I guess...) to see my friends and their band peform. I must say, the vantage point from the mall and from in front of the NorVa of this building is impressive. Driving along through DT Norfolk, the building has such a great presence---I love it, and I can't wait for the other projects nearby. :D

Awesome pics yet again, dbo!

Like vtfan, I wish it were taller and hope some sort of lighting will let this puppy shine on the skyline. I have lots of concerns about this bldg that I probably won't be able to resolve until I get a chance to see it in person. One of the biggest among them is the wide side of the building (facing Granby St). That long frontage gives this building a lot of girth, so I fear for how stumpy it may look from that angle straight-on.

Awesome pics yet again, dbo!

Like vtfan, I wish it were taller and hope some sort of lighting will let this puppy shine on the skyline. I have lots of concerns about this bldg that I probably won't be able to resolve until I get a chance to see it in person. One of the biggest among them is the wide side of the building (facing Granby St). That long frontage gives this building a lot of girth, so I fear for how stumpy it may look from that angle straight-on.

Lammius, I too was concerned about the girth of the building until I saw the building in April and it really dominates this portion of Granby St. without overwhelming the buildings around it. It appears to me to have sufficient hieght and girth at the same time. I had no idea when I first saw the rendering how massive a building this is compared to other buildings downtown. I believe that you will be pleasantly surprised when you actually gaze upon this building in person.

Does anyone else think Trader building and the Armada Hoffler building at TownCenter look too similar? I guess its no surprise considering CMSS designed both buildings. A little more originality or distinction would have been nice.

I also noticed the slight "contrasting" color on the panels of prefab concrete on the exterior. I guess I'll have to wait till its completely done to see it fully takes shape but right now it just looks like part of the building is "dirty".

Does anyone else think Trader building and the Armada Hoffler building at TownCenter look too similar? I guess its no surprise considering CMSS designed both buildings. A little more originality or distinction would have been nice.

I also noticed the slight "contrasting" color on the panels of prefab concrete on the exterior. I guess I'll have to wait till its completely done to see it fully takes shape but right now it just looks like part of the building is "dirty".

CMSS also did the 150 W Main building. Out of three, Trader is the best because at least it keeps some kind of symmetry. The other two look so funky from certain angles.

Lammius, I too was concerned about the girth of the building until I saw the building in April and it really dominates this portion of Granby St. without overwhelming the buildings around it. It appears to me to have sufficient hieght and girth at the same time. I had no idea when I first saw the rendering how massive a building this is compared to other buildings downtown. I believe that you will be pleasantly surprised when you actually gaze upon this building in person.

Coming from Va Beach towards Norfolk on 264, it does have somewhat of a stumpy look. However, from inside downtown and from across the river in portsmouth, it really adds to the skyline.

From what we can tell, the different colors of the concrete are supposed to compliment the Royster building, which I think it does quite nicely.

Archived