Anderson Developments

JT Boy

Welcome Pringles. I hope you'll continue to share insights and info. We need someone interested in Anderson who lives in Anderson and has Anderson as their main area of interest. I try to keep up but since I don't live there now, it's hard.

I had heard about the Dillards interest. In fact, I think it's mentioned somewhere back in the thread. At the end of 2005 someone from the mall said in an article I read that we should expect a Dillard's announcement in early 2006. So I had gotten worried that it was dead. That announcement came about the same time the big exit 19 project started running into serious trouble.

On the Bass Pro Shops, I don't see Anderson getting one if Greenville gets one, but I could see Bass Pro deciding their upstate store (singular) was going in Anderson because of the proximity to Hartwell Lake. If it did that I would think exit 19 would be a much better location than the mall for visibility purposes and easy access for shoppers from neighboring cities. But the rumor mill has been pretty hot out of Greenville about that, so I suspect they'll go there. Either way - good for the upstate.

Re: Anderson Mall

Dillard's would be a strong fit in Anderson Mall. The mall's interior was redecorated nearly a year ago. There's always room for improvement with its anchors and exterior.

Re: Bass Pro Shops

Undoubtedly Bass Pro Shops canvases upstate South Carolina for a new location. While plans are definite, the search continues to drag. Powdersville, Greenville's downtown and Greer were some recent locations they are actively seeking. Cabela's is also seeking sites into their Carolinas expansion. The race is on.

Bass Pro Shops at Discover Mills (I-85 GA exit 108) is about 90 miles from I-85 SC exit 19.

Edited by BoDragon

That is some interesting insight into Anderson Mall. A Dillards would definitely help that mall out, so I hope that works. I know that I would probably go to Dillards (I live in Clemson right now) if it were there.

We have heard that Bass Pro was looking at the Upstate. Previously we had head that they were only looking in Greenville and Spartanburg. I didn't know Anderson was in the running as well. I think that they have settled on a Greenville location, but I am not certain how final that was. Perhaps someone can confirm or deny that?

Personally, I question Anderson's viablility for a Bass Pro store since it is not that far from the store at Discover Mills in Atlanta.

Within the next couple weeks, I'll be celebrating my one-year anniversary in Anderson (I came here from Charlotte, and previously Atlanta.) One of the things that struck me as odd about the mall on a first glance was that there were two Belks. I did a little research and saw that the men's Belk took over the Upton's space. It still seems odd for one company to have two anchor stores, though. If they do end up consolidating, Dillards will definately have to do some construction, as 50 or 60,000 square feet is a tiny footprint for them.

As for the viability of the market, it's been mentioned in several threads I've read that people drive for many miles to shop at the mall. I can tell you that that is very true (we ask for zip codes.) Not only do people drive from NE GA, they drive from other upstate towns, even though my company has another location.

In the past year, I've been experimenting with our product mix, and within the past couple months we are nearly in line with what our Haywood Mall store carries, as far as high-end names. In a couple cases, quite by accident, we ended up as the only store in Anderson to offer certain name brands and people are buying the crap out of them. The money's definately here. I just wish the mall would do some better advertising instead of laying aroung expecting shoppers to show up just because it's there.

We never hear the words "Discover Mills" in the mall. Rather, if someone comes to us for a return or something, they bought it at Haywood Mall or in Commerce at the outlets. I know Anderson sounds crazy for some big retailers, but given the growth of the area, if a retailer was thinking of the future, this place is a goldmine.

I like to look at things with rosy glasses :D

Re: Anderson Mall

Dillard's would be a strong fit in Anderson Mall. The mall's interior was redecorated nearly a year ago. There's always room for improvement with its anchors and exterior.

Re: Bass Pro Shops

Undoubtedly Bass Pro Shops canvases upstate South Carolina for a new location. While plans are definite, the search continues to drag. Powdersville, Greenville's downtown and Greer were some recent locations they are actively seeking. Cabela's is also seeking sites into their Carolinas expansion. The race is on.

Bass Pro Shops at Discover Mills (I-85 GA exit 108) is about 90 miles from I-85 SC exit 19.

Both Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas have looked at Pelham Rd. and Woodruff Rd. sites as well. I wonder if the site they looked at in Greer is Near the Village of Pelham and the rumored $250,000,000 project?

Both Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas have looked at Pelham Rd. and Woodruff Rd. sites as well. I wonder if the site they looked at in Greer is Near the Village of Pelham and the rumored $250,000,000 project?

That would be an ideal location being between Greenville and Spartanburg. Would one of those stores bring about 300-400 jobs?

Article: Businesses fill space near Bloom

Anderson Indepdent-Mail (SC)

2006/8/3

Anderson's way north side is getting some light eateries - Skins hot dogs, a chinese restaurant and a coffee shop. How much longer until we see an Applebee's or a Fatz?

Where is the "Way north" side of town then?

They are talking about what I always thought of as NorthEast Anderson. I'm not sure whether that's accurate geographically. But we're talking hwy 81 as it starts getting near 85.

I think a couple of restaurants would do well on the 81 corridor. There is really nothing like an Applebees on that whole side of town. Actually aside from some grocers and small scale retail there is no shopping on tha side of town. I think we'll see some more infill around 81 and say Reed Road first before serious shopping comes to Hopewell Road and 81. That makes more sense to me.

Would northeast Anderson be US-29 towards Williamston and the Anderson Jockey Lot?

How about some dicount department stores like Wal-mart and Target on SC-81?

The Jockey lot is probably more geographically northeast Anderson, but folks out there are more disconnected from the city in my opinion. They identify more as rural. The folks living out 81 identify more as part of the city.

I wonder about the viability of a Wal-mart or Target on 81. I'm sure it's coming, I just don't know if the population is there yet. I suspect that in the next 5-10 years it will definitely work. Now I think it would be risky, but perhaps one worth taking. Anderson could definitely use another commercial corridor in an area convenient to the upper income folks (ie 81 north). I wonder if a second mall (outdoor or indoor with one or two department store anchors) is in the 81 corridor future.

I really hope that residential development continues, especially some of the density that is being built in terms of apartment homes and townhomes. It's a pretty fast growing part of the county/city.

I wanted to throw in a comment about Anderson Mall.... it really has potential to make it. I think that Belk should consolidate everything to their wing of the mall, Dillard's should raze the "Men's store" and build a simple 2 story site there and then Dick's Sporting Goods should build a store where the old theater is now. This would give some new blood to it all. There are several national chains that could do well there if the mall were postioned a bit better.

That all seems very reasonable to me about the mall. Do you think a borders or barnes and noble could fly at Anderson Mall? Or in Anderson in general, maybe around exit 19? Or downtown?
There was a Borders in the mall, and it closed in January. However, the way the place was set up wasn't really in line with the way big book chains are going these days. It was a small footprint, near Sears and only had books (no coffee shop or any of that). Books-A-Million on Clemson Blvd seems to be doing well, though. If a chain had the nerve to put a big, anchor-type store at the food court entrance, that might work better, although it would be a tight fit.

Another note about the mall. All I heard in the papers the past week was how shoppers were going to hold back on back to school shopping, and the tax free weekend wasn't going to be a big deal, and Anderson schools start before tax free weekend, gas prices, blah blah. :angry: Well, after two of the three tax free days, I have a 30.1% sales increase over LY that would like to argue with that sentiment :rolleyes:

I wanted to throw in a comment about Anderson Mall.... it really has potential to make it. I think that Belk should consolidate everything to their wing of the mall, Dillard's should raze the "Men's store" and build a simple 2 story site there and then Dick's Sporting Goods should build a store where the old theater is now. This would give some new blood to it all. There are several national chains that could do well there if the mall were postioned a bit better.
The mall's already made it 34 years, but I know what you mean. That end of the mall really could use a kick in the ass. Some things (like Gap) might have been ahead of their time. Others, such as the recently opened SC Place, seemed like an obvious fit, what with Clemson being so close. They're getting good traffic, but that still leaves the front of the mall with slow traffic. Moving NY & Co to the front of the mall is a good start.

I spoke to a somewhat big shot in the mall today - he told me there were definately "big plans" for the Women's Belk corridor, but he still wouldn't go into details. Grrrrrr.

Edited by Pringles

Yes, thanks for mentioning B & N or Borders.... I think it could fly at the mall, especially if tied to the front or the food court. I have a dream where Sears leaves (to do some Grand thing at the Kmart down the street) and then that could become a big bookstore. Or, in another senario, Sears leaves, Dillard's rebuilds there and the bookstore takes the old Belk Men's location after we force them to move!

The Jockey lot is probably more geographically northeast Anderson, but folks out there are more disconnected from the city in my opinion. They identify more as rural. The folks living out 81 identify more as part of the city.

I wonder about the viability of a Wal-mart or Target on 81. I'm sure it's coming, I just don't know if the population is there yet. I suspect that in the next 5-10 years it will definitely work. Now I think it would be risky, but perhaps one worth taking. Anderson could definitely use another commercial corridor in an area convenient to the upper income folks (ie 81 north). I wonder if a second mall (outdoor or indoor with one or two department store anchors) is in the 81 corridor future.

I really hope that residential development continues, especially some of the density that is being built in terms of apartment homes and townhomes. It's a pretty fast growing part of the county/city.

For what it's worth, maybe the Hwy. 29 area could handle a Super wal-Mart to accomodate all of the people in Williamston / Belton and northern Anderson County. They often drive to Greenville (White Horse Road area) to shop and the Honea Path people go to Greenwood. 29 at Hwy 8 (if the roads were better) might be good place, or at the 81 / 85 exchange.

There was a Borders in the mall, and it closed in January. However, the way the place was set up wasn't really in line with the way big book chains are going these days.

The fact that I had forgotten about that pea-sized store says a lot. Too small to really count as a borders. I suspect that if a bookstore like Borders or B&N created a 'destination' store, they'd do well.

Glad to hear there are 'big' plans. Hope that's true.

To Romania's comment... yeah maybe a Walmart out 29 way makes sense. I just don't know the demographics well enough to know if those populations are big enough to support it. Or if it would hurt the in-town ones too much.

On another note... I was a little disappointed with the downtown study released last week. Restaurants and specialty stores seems to be the recommendation. I guess it makes sense. I just wish Anderson leaders would work their tales off to get some white-collar corporate jobs for downtown to create a much bigger business base and a demand for a little office space. Imagine what a couple of employers needing space for 100-200 employees would do for downtown...

You have to start somewhere though. Im certain that Anderson would love to have corporate investors downtown. Perhaps with the grwoth and development of new restaurants and such will draw more attention to downtown, and pull in a big fish.

Yeah, I know you are right. I just wish the city leaders would spell it out like you are doing. I fear there is no vision there at all. I think they travel to cities with cute downtown entertainment districts and think "we can do that". I fear the small town "historic downtown" has become cliche now that every town has signs on the interstate encouraging people to visit "historic downtown everytown". (Putting a sign up like that is actually one of the recommendations!)

On another note: we'd been talking about development out 24 near ingles with White Jones and the Dollar store announcements. There is now a sign that says "Bi-Lo coming soon".