Anderson Developments

JT Boy

On another note: we'd been talking about development out 24 near ingles with White Jones and the Dollar store announcements. There is now a sign that says "Bi-Lo coming soon".

Could this be Anderson's first Super Bi-Lo?

Bi-Lo is also looking to add stores in Iva/Starr, Belton and Williamston and improve several stores within the county.

Could this be Anderson's first Super Bi-Lo?

Bi-Lo is also looking to add stores in Iva/Starr, Belton and Williamston and improve several stores within the county.

Wednesday's Anderson Independent newspaper's on-line version has an article about Bi-Lo and Food Lion joining Ingle's at Hwy. 24 and Whitehall Road. (andersonindependent.com)

I grew up out there in that area..... hard to believe it. Anyone remember when the ONLY thing out there was Davis and Elrods?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a question for you guys and gals... what's keeping Anderson I85 exit 21 from developing? Exit 19 is crazy with new stuff. Liberty Hwy is just a stone's throw away. Why hasn't anything gone there?

...because exit 21 doesn't get as much traffic as exit 19, due to Tri-County Tech and Clemson and the companies locating there can see it. Also, a new 10,000 shopping center is going to go up soon next to the new Mcdonald's/gas station on exit 19 near I-85.

Edited by carolinadude9409

Clemson Boulevard just has more traffic tranversing two major upstate cities, Anderson and Clemson.

Liberty Highway (US-178) will soon see its growth. There's more traffic from Easley to Anderson and industrial firms locating along the route. A small strip center south of I-85 is going up and has a western store. Long term plans will widen the route to four lanes and a complete realignment of the interchange.

The Anderson Independent Mail reported today that the Food Lion slated for Hwy 24 and 187 is actually going to be a whole shopping center with 6000 sq ft of space. They are looking for banks, fast food, etc....

There's been a sign up for the Food Lion for a couple weeks, and just a little further out is a sign that just popped up in the last three days: "Coming soon -- Bi-Lo"

I've heard that White Jones (Ace Hardware) will be opening a store out there too. I surprises me that it took so long for anything to open up out there.

Welcome to the forum pyper. It's good to have another person providing information on Anderson development. Great to hear the signs have gone up for the incoming grocers. I wonder when construction will start.

In other news...

CSXT's request to abandon rail lines has been denigned.

We talked about this when CSXT proposed the abandonment. It's a pretty big victory (I think) for Anderson that the STB denigned the request to abandon the lines. Basically saying - it's a profitable line and serves a key economic interest in the area.

Edited by interestedexpat

With that ruling, the line will continue to be active. It shows the vital need to the area.

One thing that cannot be ignored is the need for passenger rail connection from Greenville to Anderson. The line connecting Piedmont, Pelzer, Williamston and Belton and the Pickens line would be the logical route. I would prefer to see a rail line built again down to Greenwood and onward to Newberry for a state supported line; the bed remains, but the tracks are removed.

Welcome to the forum pyper. It's good to have another person providing information on Anderson development. Great to hear the signs have gone up for the incoming grocers. I wonder when construction will start.

Thanks!!

I noticed on the Bi-Lo site today that there's a building permit, so I guess it's sooner, rather than later :)

Thanks for the info Pringles. UP has scooped the Anderson Independent Mail.

That's great news about Anderson Mall. I hope Dillards does a nice store. Another quality anchor could really help the mall.

Good article in Today's AIM about the Imagine Anderson initiative. Planning ahead?! Who would've thought? :D

Imagine Anderson looks like it may be a part of their comprehenxive planning process, which they have to do. I am glad they are making a big deal of it. Unfortunately people don't think of Anderson as a place to go unless its to the big box stores on Clemson Blvd. Anderson is a cool place in its own right, they just need more defining and refining. The success of its initial efforts to revitalize its downtown are prrof that good things are coming Anderson's direction.

That's great news about Anderson Mall. I hope Dillards does a nice store. Another quality anchor could really help the mall.

Good article in Today's AIM about the Imagine Anderson initiative. Planning ahead?! Who would've thought? :D

I haven't heard much about the plans, but it sounds like they are going to tear down the existing structure. No word on planned square footage or anything.

As for Imagine Anderson, I really hope that people bring serious talk and that the guys in charge listen.

Great news out of Anderson this morning....

Clemson Research Park on Hwy 187 near Exit 14 to Expand

Clemson is building an additional 40,000 sq foot office building and Anderson is building a 25,000 sq foot building. Both are to help incubate high tech businesses in the park. The idea is to have spin offs high tech industry fill the park. They are embarking on aggressive business recruitment as well.

I know it's not like announcing a big investment from an outside company, but this shows Anderson County has it's eyes focused on recruiting High Tech jobs and working with Clemson...All good. :D

The downtown Anderson Marketing Study was released yesterday. Not much of interest. They recommended adding more retail and better marketing and cooperation between existing businesses. Pretty weak for $13,000. Perhaps you get what you pay for.

It all sounded pretty cookie cutter to me. "Come see 'Historic Downtown Anderson' signs on the freeway with a downtown shopping guide in hotels and restaurants... weak, weak, weak. That was innovative 20 years ago, now it's just tired.

What Anderson needs is someone to figure out what types of companies should consider relocating to Anderson and how could the city recruit them and encourage them to locate offices downtown.

Better retail is something that must be addressed. One of those reasons is Anderson County's failure to permenantly suspende "blue laws". Once voted for termination (sometime soon), business can sprout quicker.

Agreed, "historic" is lame. What would be a better way to promote Anderson?

I agree that better retail would be nice, but I don't think it's the solution to having a vibrant downtown district in Anderson. I also agree with your comment on the blue laws. Blue laws are really inappropriate.

As to what would be a better way to promote Anderson? I'll have to give that some thought.

But an initial thought...I think I object to the idea that downtown as a district needs special promotion. It needs to be clean, safe and have well publicized free parking. But I don't want to support downtown merchants because they are downtown anymore than I want to buy American just because it has a "made in America" label. I want the best product.

I will give more thought to downtown marketing though.

On an upnote, I did hear from someone who has more details on the downtown marketing study than I. She informed me that there is much more depth to the study than the summaries and powerpoint that I saw. She's actually very enthusiastic about it. Very upbeat about downtown's future. And also said that a great deal is in the works to actually create and attract office jobs to downtown Anderson. I take that as very hopeful.