Anderson Developments

JT Boy

No problem, man. According to the Greenville Journal, Food Lion will be breaking ground on a new Bloom grocery store in Anderson next week. :thumbsup:

Any specific location where? This would be Anderson's second Bloom, the other located on SC-81 North. A Food Lion is going up on Townville Road (SC-24) near Ingle's and Bi-Lo.

^^^OOPS. I meant to say Food-Lion will be breaking ground this week for new stores in Anderson, Union, and Woodruff. I'm not sure why I said Bloom, but that is a mistake. They will all be Food-Lions, not Blooms even though Bloom is owned by Food-Lion.

Edited by g-man430

^^^OOPS. I meant to say Food-Lion will be breaking ground this week for new stores in Anderson, Union, and Woodruff. I'm not sure why I said Bloom, but that is a mistake. They will all be Food-Lions, not Blooms even though Bloom is owned by Food-Lion.

I thought the one at 24 and Whitehall was a bloom. Either way - the rendering was in the Independentmail today and it looked sharpe.

I learned recently that the Uptown Lounge, an old eatery in downtown, is moving out near Beltline blvd. The downtown manager had an interesting comment. She said, "it's good news or bad news for downtown depending on what replaces it." She pointed out that when downtowns (or other parts of town) begin to revitalize some of the 'old' merchants move as new ones come in. Let's see what replaces it. Does she have something in mind?

This eatery was in a great location next to the rundown hotel that sits between Main Street and the Library. But it was kind of an eyesore. It's a good example of a longstanding business that does well because of history. I doubt they'll do well out on Beltline.

I believe the Watermarke has toped out. 8 floors, right? You can see the image and monitor construction here. That's the same link as in the thread earlier.

It's well above the tree line. :yahoo:

This development is very interesting to me. It seems to have flown under the radar. I don't remember reading about County Council fights over impact on the lake shore line or anything. I just remember seeing an ad for it about a year ago... and then wham. I wonder if they kept it low key on purpose. An eight floor luxury condo building in Anderson is huge.

I believe the Watermarke has toped out. 8 floors, right? You can see the image and monitor construction here. That's the same link as in the thread earlier.

It's well above the tree line. :yahoo:

This development is very interesting to me. It seems to have flown under the radar. I don't remember reading about County Council fights over impact on the lake shore line or anything. I just remember seeing an ad for it about a year ago... and then wham. I wonder if they kept it low key on purpose. An eight floor luxury condo building in Anderson is huge.

I noticed it the other day going to Greenville from Clemson. It sticks out more than I thought it would (in a good way, of course). It will make even more of an impression on people once the new shopping center is built across the interstate, and thus more people are exposed to it... :yahoo:

New Bank Coming to Downtown Anderson.

Independent Mail

Former Anderson Mayor Richard Shirley just took a job with Arthur State Bank. Arthur State is moving into the area and has purchased two lots at Greenville Street and Main.

Shirley had his good and bad points as a mayor, but he was consistently a big advocate for downtown. Here's the quote that has my hopes up...

^^^Is there a website for the Falls at Meehan? Also, is this the development going up on the same side of S Mechanic St. as the post office right past the post office and new library before you get to Highway 76, because if it is then this is the development I drive by every day on my way to Tri-County Tech? So far, there seems to be 5-10 houses going up towards the back of the development and the entrance is almost finished. :)

Edited by g-man430

• 4 weeks later...

Great link G-man. There have been a lot of interesting articles in the Anderson paper recently about development issues. I'm not going to link to them ('cause I'm lazy) but...

*A downtown summer concert series (weekly) announced

*A few articles on further renovations and plans for downtown buildings (nothing major - just smaller scale things)

*An 'impact fee' passing through the county council to make developers pay. This is ironic (in my mind) given Anderson politicians 'anti-tax' rhetoric. It's the same folks voting for the 'impact fee'. I'm in favor of it, I just think it's interesting.

*Blue laws are history again.

*An interesting post by Heather Jones (the new econ recruitment person) on one of the paper forums. She indicated that she is amazed by how many inquiries Anderson gets regarding industry relocations, etc.... She came from Hilton Head/Beaufort area. So that is an interesting statement. She then hinted that the community shoots itself in the foot alot by being unfriendly towards those showing interest. (She didn't say it, she hinted!) But God bless her, someone needs to shout it from the rooftops! :tough:

*The G'ville based developer pulled out of the running for the old Belk's site. So we have two left... one from Anderson and another from Charleston. But as usual there is fighting going on about control and procedure. It's enough to scare off anyone with money!

100 new jobs and two new high tech companies to downtown Anderson? :) Maybe. Just the possibility proves, 'There is a God!'

Anderson Independent Mail

Monday, March 12

Council eyes two high-tech companies

Also continued residential and commercial development on the city's westside. I have mixed feeling about this stuff because it's basically poorly managed sprawl

Monday, March 12

Cheaper land, same convenience

Edited by interestedexpat

Monday, March 12

Cheaper land, same convenience

Lead sentence in the article: "When Ingles put a grocery store on S.C. 24 many people were scratching their heads and wondering why."

I just wondered why it had taken so long! Everyone who lives on Lake Hartwell drives in on 24 to do anything, and there were no decent stores on the west side of town. Duh!

What leaves me scratching my head is trying to figure out who's buying those condo units at those prices!

Edited by pyper

When/if they finally widen 24 across the lake, you will likely see a huge explosion of growth on the west side. I think that is a vital area for the Lake market that you desbribed. Anderson is already a large shopping destination for most of that part of the Upstate and NE Georgia. The growth is going to be in large part homes around Lake Hartwell, so the number of people with lots of money will increase, thus increasing the demand for stores in closer proximity to them. I think that development south of 24 and north of 29 will be the next big area for Anderson. The people moving in tend to be retirees and rich Atlantans who can afford such things. Its probably not as much homegrown wealth (though that is certainly a part of it).

I don't see the current configuration of 24 necessarily holding up development. There's rarely any congestion on it. To me, it seems like what would make a really big difference would be if Whitehorse Road was improved and widened. That road is horrible, especially in the evening, and it's what connects the west to all the stuff on the north.

The area around Townville seems to be growing, too, but not as fast as I was expecting a few years ago.