Anderson Developments

JT Boy

Okay, after giving some thought to the question of marketing... how about

"Downtown Anderson - a great place to grow your business!"

If that were backed up with really good incentives it could catch on.

Selling points could be... (if these were true....)

*A downtown atmosphere without downtown prices. (currently true)

*Affordable, high quality office space, easily expandable. (not true currently but could be)

*Small town feel with strong level of community support. (small town feel true, community support is questionable)

*Small to medium sized business support services could be made available through Clemson, AU and Tri-County Tech. (easy to make happen)

*The city could publish a short list of downtown support services to show potential recruits that not only is it cheaper to do business in downtown Anderson. (easy to make happen)

To me this kind of campaign is much less about fluff (tourist retail) and much more about a substantive, sustainable, livable downtown.

I've been encouraged on one of the Anderson Independent blog pages. There are people working hard to make downtown Anderson a better place. They are looking beyong retail. But it looks to me like they are focused on relocating companies from 'uptown' Anderson to downtown. I'm trying to think a little bigger, let's go after businesses relocating from other places. Or let's incubate new businesses.

Those are some good ideas. You should move back to Anderson and help out your hometown.... might not be a bad idea considering what's happening in Bangkok these days. I hope all is well for you.

I think that once Anderson gets some momentum there will be more community support. Spartanburg has started to see more of that lately. My perception is that since the Square was redesigned it has increased. Perhaps when these new condos open up downtown people will be more supportive.

Thanks for the concern Spartan. It's true we had a coup this morning, but all the Thai people ran out to take photos of themselves with the tanks... so it's hard to take it too seriously.

Anyway, back to Anderson... I think the downtown design guidelines are up for presentation (and maybe a first vote) this week. The discussion has been that they will help investors feel more comfortable making investments because there will be some security that the neighboring building won't destroy history or be in bad taste. Makes sense. And the guidelines are pretty well done. You can see them at the Downtown Anderson website.

I've been in discussion with some of the local politicos and they keep talking about the city working with developers, lots of momentum and projects in the works. If this isn't just fluff it's exciting.

Thanks for the concern Spartan. It's true we had a coup this morning, but all the Thai people ran out to take photos of themselves with the tanks... so it's hard to take it too seriously.

Anyway, back to Anderson... I think the downtown design guidelines are up for presentation (and maybe a first vote) this week. The discussion has been that they will help investors feel more comfortable making investments because there will be some security that the neighboring building won't destroy history or be in bad taste. Makes sense. And the guidelines are pretty well done. You can see them at the Downtown Anderson website.

I've been in discussion with some of the local politicos and they keep talking about the city working with developers, lots of momentum and projects in the works. If this isn't just fluff it's exciting.

Thats good. To read the news here, like CNN or any other news network, you'd think the world was ending over there. This is the biggest news since the Israel/Palestine thing a few months ago.

I hope that what you say is true. The guidelines will help alot. If you ahven't been to Anderson in the past year you should really come and check it out (i say that to all readers). its definitely a changing place.

Thats good. To read the news here, like CNN or any other news network, you'd think the world was ending over there. This is the biggest news since the Israel/Palestine thing a few months ago.

Funny how the media works, isn't it? There were probably less violent deaths in Bangkok yesterday than in Greenville.

I hope that what you say is true. The guidelines will help alot. If you ahven't been to Anderson in the past year you should really come and check it out (i say that to all readers). its definitely a changing place.

I was in Anderson in June. Downtown is definitely making progress. But that progress has been a long time in coming. I'm confident in the Chiquola project. But I'm not so confident about the Calhoun. If it comes togther and sells well, it will be huge though!

I'm still looking for some mid-rise developments with significant non-retail commercial application (not government, not retail, but offices!). Then I'll be convinced that Downtown Anderson is coming to life. Two or three 20-100 employee businesses locating downtown and I'll breathe easier about downtown's future.

BoDragon's post highlights further expansion. The Kroger building is on the edge of downtown and I get the feeling that a project dubbed "mini city hall" is going to move forward even with the Kroger building. The "mini city hall" is slated for South Main and would make another nice anchor.

Lots of good stuff happening. I'm just waiting for it to result in the recruitment of someone investing in downtown not because they are trying to be a good citizen but because it makes sense economically.

Can anyone recall when exactly the former Kroger at Fant and River streets were built? I assume it closed in 1988 when they pulled out of Anderson. Bi-Lo bought the one on Mall Road, but this one may have closed to poor sales.

With the building being unoccupied for years, is it really worth saving? I wonder how deep that building is in disrepair.

Can anyone recall when exactly the former Kroger at Fant and River streets were built? I assume it closed in 1988 when they pulled out of Anderson. Bi-Lo bought the one on Mall Road, but this one may have closed to poor sales.

I remember it being built and when it was new. It wasn't open for very long. I'm guessing on dates though I'd say early 80s. Maybe even mid 80s.

With the building being unoccupied for years, is it really worth saving? I wonder how deep that building is in disrepair.

Good question. I assume that the Council has priced it out. I would rather see a slightly more urban version of the mini-city hall proposed for south Main. But apparently it's cheaper to by the old Kroger and renovate. Seems odd to me that you can buy a whole other building for cheaper than adding one or two floors to one you will build anyway. However, my guess is that Kroger property isn't worth much.

One of the Council members (who is often the enemy of development and an embarrassment to Anderson) has raised concerns about the price of the building. She'll lose the votes, but she might be right about this one....

• 2 weeks later...

A few things announced in the Anderson Independent Mail recently.

The debate over the old Koger building continues. The political bickering really is a black eye on the city and is probably contributing to a lack of economic development and poverty.

Anderson is challenging Greenville for Freedom Weekend Aloft. The article says attendance is the problem with Anderson (which is why they are considering moving back to G'ville). I was in town two years ago. Attendance was terrible. Partly due to bad weather. But I'm glad to see Anderson fighting about this. It's probably a loosing battle. But at one time it looked like the County was going to take the position, "If you don't want to be here then good riddance."

The Anderson Convention and Visitors Bureau looks to be doing some good work. They have bids in for some substantial convention business for a city Anderson's size. Go guys.

I remember seeing an article last week that said that the free downtown wireless would be up and running in October. It seems like a small thing, but sometimes it's the little things that make the town!

Freedom Weekend Aloft has been in Anderson for 8 years. It was in Greenville for 18 before that. Beyond that I don't know.

Couple of interesting articles in today's Anderson Independent Mail.

Nudists buying land in Belton. I'm not sure this has much to do with development. But you gotta admit it's interesting! :huh:

Coca Cola bottling is moving out of Anderson. They have a distribution warehouse on the edge of the downtown district. They are consolidating in Simpsonville. :cry: 80 people are employed there. They've all been offered their jobs in Simpsonville. Most have accepted.

And a little good news. Tri-County Tech's extention campus is on schedule. They intend to start offering continuing ed classes early in 2007 and by mid-year have some for credit classes going. The first building is 45,000 sq foot. They plan three more buildings on the campus and some athletic fields.

Hopefully a better Tri-County Tech makes Anderson more attractive to employers.

Shoppers' food options increasing

Anderson Independent-Mail (SC)

2006-10-3

An article some days ago addressed the current grocery shopping conditions in Anderson County. It explains which areas stores are shifting out to accomodate a better market area and how several chains are differently approaching their bases.

Bi-Lo's new SC-24 store could replace the existing Pearman Dairy Road store at Lakeside; those plans are unconfirmed. Changes may also be on the way for the Mall Road and Shockley Ferry Road locations.

The Shockley Ferry Road Bi-Lo needs a better location. Belton Highway is the next growth boom, and a new supermarket would help. The Mall Road location had a brief remodel some years ago, but needs a major overhaul (i.e. self checkout lanes, improved entry/exit, notice from Clemson Boulevard).

For Anderson's sake, I hope FWA stays, but I wouldn't mind seeing it move back to Greenville, mostly because of the drive.

Maybe this is just my Anderson pessimism taking hold, but I don't see it staying in Anderson. From the Independent Mail interactive forum, I don't even get the impression that most folks want it to stay. Merchants say it has minimal impact. Apparently it doesn't attract many out of town guests (besides the actual balloonists) who would fill up hotel rooms and restaurants.

I suspect this one will go to Simpsonville. I think that would be a shame for Anderson, but the County is too busy fighting over local politics for anyone really to notice this. Shame. :cry:

Anderson had a really successful Greek Festival on Saturday. Estimates I heard were up near 5,000 people attended. It was at the downtown Farmer's Market and people complained that the venue was too small. :yahoo:

It's funny. Andersonians seem to come out for some stuff and not for others. The key seems to be that you really have to hit the right button.

I always go to downtown greenville cause its closer than downtown anderson. I need to start comming to DT Anderson more and support my county i suppose.

What we'd really love would be to have you working on a midrise, mixed use development in DT Anderson. Can you arrange that?! :lol:

Seriously, DT Anderson is making big strides, but it's really not in G'ville's or Spartanburg's league. At one time Anderson was actually the gem of the three cities. Those days are gone due largely to years of bad leadership. I think the new Mayor has potential to be the beginning of a new era. But county politics are still pretty sad. :( A lot of petty bickering that scares off anyone with any sense (IMO).

I think the downtown Chili Cookoff is this weekend. Might be a good chance to check it out. I think 11 restaurants are participating.

Oops. the Chili Cookoff was last night (Tuesday). Reports were that thousands turned out. Many more people than expected. There is an okay photo gallery with a couple of really nice shots on the AIM website. Look at photos 7, 8, 9 and 11 to see some of downtown Anderson's charm last night. 11 has a photo with the Chiqoula in the background. It looks like great progress is being made. :D

Also saw where Glen Raven Mills announced a 20 million expansion. Shuting down an Elberton GA operation to consolidate in Anderson. Jobs are jobs, but I feel better about new ones verses relocated ones from our neighbors.

Lots of good news for Anderson in the Independent Mail today.

The guys doing the Chiquola Condos have signed on for another project on Main Street which will include street level retail with luxury condos on top. Read about it here. There is talk of still other projects by the same group. Sounds like they are taking things one step at a time. They've sold out the retail space for the Chiquola project and have sold most of the condos there. Very exciting. The Chiquola is scheduled to open in May 2007. This new project 300s South Main is scheduled to begin in February 2007.

A Young Professionals Club is starting in Anderson. This will be key for networking purposes. Read about it here.

Finally Professional Baseball looks like it's coming back to Anderson. The South Coast League wants to put a team in Anderson. The only downside (to me) is they are negotiating for use of the Memorial Stadium, which as far as I'm concerned will kill attendance and probably doom the thing to failure. Why they don't use the Rec Center fields or the Anderson Sports and Entertainment fields is beyond me. The article says they considered it, but want Memorial Stadium for more seats. Bad move. Spend a few thousand dollars to add temporary bleachers at one ofthe other two sites and survive and possibly thrive. Go to Memorial Stadium and be disappointed. That's my prediction. Read about it here.

Thats exciting news for Anderson!

The amount of things going on downtown continues to impress me. I like the kinda of stores that are coming to the Chiquola, and I really like the idea of an ice cream store downtown.

I have never heard of Memorial Stadium... where is that located, what condition is it in, and what is it currently used for? Its good the baseball is coming back to Anderson. Its more than I can say for Spartanburg.

I have never heard of Memorial Stadium... where is that located, what condition is it in, and what is it currently used for?

The field is fine and as far as I know it's in okay condition. Anderson University uses it for their baseball games. And I believe they have a contract to maintain it. The problems are (1) location, location, location. It's a few miles south of Downtown off of Shockley Ferry Road. This part of Anderson is run down. Has no major shopping. Is in general decline. And it suffers from a high crime reputation (I don't know if the reputation is warranted). I'd be willing to bet most people living in Anderson would have a hard time finding it without a map. I would and I lived there throughout my childhood back when the Braves had their triple A team in Anderson. I don't know anyone who ever went to a game. If it had been near a major shopping district, I'll bet I would have gone at least monthly and probably more often. I don't think that's where you want to try to make your baseball team float. (2) The bleachers are the old style concrete bleachers. No seats. Very uncomfortable.

I'm glad Anderson continues to draw interest for pro baseball, but somebody's got to tell these guys that putting the team in an old stadium that most city (much less county) residents don't know about and wouldn't know how to get to is a death sentence.

Edited by interestedexpat

I like to see Anderson get some professional baseball. Locating in south Anderson is not the best place. (Its need for redevelopment is another topic.) Anderson Sports and Entertainment Complex would be the logical choice for the long haul. If there's limited seating, just build another level of seats!

Is Watermarke supposedly visible from Clemson Boulevard?