Anderson Developments

JT Boy

Not sure but you can definately see the top 3/4ths of the crane over the towering pine trees from 85.

You can definitely see the crane from Clemson Blvd when you are near 85. This has to be the most low key (under the radar) highrise project in the area. Will this be the tallest building in Anderson? The Baptist Senior Home is about 8 floors, the Calhoun is about 8 floors and AmMed downtown is about 8 floors. Anyone know?

Edited by interestedexpat

The downtown design guidelines were passed earlier this week. For a link to the guidelines click here. I read through them and think they are quite good. There has been a lot of debate though. The question isn't so much are these good guidelines as it is about another layer of bureaucracy.

The camp against the guidelines is saying that another layer of bureaucracy is enough to keep developers away.

The camp in favor of the guidelines says that these guidelines will encourage developers because they can invest with confidence knowing that hubcap heaven won't be moving in next door.

I'm curious what ya'll think. I've seen the G'ville thread with the frustration with the downtown district overseers. Is Anderson making a mistake or adding a crucial incentive to spur downtown growth?

1. Pro baseball is coming to Anderson for 2007.

Anderson Independent Article

Anybody know the quality of play in these independent leagues? Is it like a high school game? College? Triple A?

2. Freedom Weekend Aloft is going to Simpsonville. The interesting thing is that Anderson's former Mayor Richard Shirley (who lost a pretty bitter election recently) caste the deciding vote to move it. I actually think it was a good decision to move it. But you can imagine how Shirley's vote is being viewed in Anderson. Bitter payback?

City officials are talking about trying to put on their own event. They feel the reason FWA was not financially viable in Anderson was poor management. Apparently attendance had gone from 14,000 to 7,000 in four years. That does sound like a managment issue to me, but I'm not sure the solution is to put on your own festival. We'll see. Anderson politics is better than a soap opera.

3. I also saw an interesting idea (don't know how serious) for the Old Belks building in downtown. The idea was to make the area into an outdoor market with restaurants and street vendors. Build a parking deck where the old Belk's lot was and then also put retail and vendors underground where the old viaduct is. If this is a real vision, and if it is done right, this could be very, very cool.

1. Pro baseball is coming to Anderson for 2007.

Anderson Independent Article

Anybody know the quality of play in these independent leagues? Is it like a high school game? College? Triple A?

Depends, independent leagues have no clear route to obtain talent year end and out. The level of play will probably be closest to the collegiate summer league, Coastal Plains League, that has a Spartanburg franchise, The Stingers, or the Columbia team, the Blowfish. The difference is here that players get paid, a little. It's essentially semi pro baseball, as the players won't have the backing of a major league franchise for signing bonuses, benefits, etc.

Nice to see baseball back in Anderson though.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of Development items in recent Anderson Independent Mail articles.

There was an article yesterday about the New Economic Development Director and her thoughts on Anderson's development potential. She indicated she thought Anderson was underutilizing Lake Hartwell. And said she was really surprised at how much industry is looking at Anderson County. Read more here.

An article today mentions that the City is planning to annex some commercial zones along Clemson Blvd, Liberty Hwy and Hwy 81/Greenville Street. Anderson (as all SC cities) could stand to do a lot of annexing. I'd like to see the city be more aggressive about this. Read about it here.

3. I also saw an interesting idea (don't know how serious) for the Old Belks building in downtown. The idea was to make the area into an outdoor market with restaurants and street vendors. Build a parking deck where the old Belk's lot was and then also put retail and vendors underground where the old viaduct is. If this is a real vision, and if it is done right, this could be very, very cool.

I really like that idea! :thumbsup: An open-air/outdoor market is an idea I recently mentioned for Rhett Street in Greenville. Anderson has a nice nostalgia which would compliment such a development.

• 1 month later...

Mall news - Bath & Body Works is going to move across the hall into the space currently occupied by SC Place (between Hot Topic and Rack Room Shoes). Victoria's Secret is going to expand into the Bath & Body space. No word on if it's going to be a Victoria's Secret Beauty shop or what, but there were planners in the mall recently that were taking measurements and they told me what little they knew.

The downtown design guidelines were passed earlier this week. For a link to the guidelines click here. I read through them and think they are quite good. There has been a lot of debate though. The question isn't so much are these good guidelines as it is about another layer of bureaucracy.

The camp against the guidelines is saying that another layer of bureaucracy is enough to keep developers away.

The camp in favor of the guidelines says that these guidelines will encourage developers because they can invest with confidence knowing that hubcap heaven won't be moving in next door.

I'm curious what ya'll think. I've seen the G'ville thread with the frustration with the downtown district overseers. Is Anderson making a mistake or adding a crucial incentive to spur downtown growth?

Wow, I'm impressed. I hope city leaders stick to these guidelines; downtown Anderson could really become a special place within a few years. What attractions exist downtown? Does the city have a center city park? I'll have to venture through downtown next time I'm over that way.

You guys missed the big development news out of Anderson yesterday. Rosewood (??) Partners a limited liability company is pursuing a 50 million project that could bring 1000 jobs to the 85 / Clemson Blvd area! :D Not too much is known and it's definitely NOT a done deal. We know a couple of things. This is not the same proposal that faded last year due to inability to sign up major retailers. It is being talked about by their representative as a mixed us: retail, office and warehousing development with a major "lifestyle" center. (That last part sounds a bit like the old proposal.) If this one comes through ,it will be the biggest announcement out of Anderson since Walgreens. They are looking to finalize a deal by Feb. 2007. :thumbsup:

Also there is a rumored hitch in the blue laws thing. Cindy Wilson voted with the majority in the final vote. She'd been voting against giving up the blue laws up until then. She's a maverick (that's the nicest way I can think to say it) and rumor has it that she voted 'for' the motion so that she can bring the motion up for reconsideration in the new year with a new council. (There is a little known provision in Robert's Rules that in order to bring something up for reconsideration you have to have voted with the majority.)

The thinking is that there might be new council members joining who would be against scraping the blue laws who might be willing to vote with her to re-instate. :( I really hope this isn't true.

I have a bad feeling about the 2007 Anderson County Council. I hope I am wrong. I worry it's going to be bad enough to bring negative attention nationally. Ron Wilson (one of the newly elected members) has a national rep for his work with the John Birch Society. He's played national roles with southern heritage groups too! And many in those groups have accused him of being racist. When the southern heritage groups start calling you a racist, you must be pretty far out.

Here is the Rosewood Partners, LLC website, for more info about the company.

Are you sure this is the right company? I heard the group with eyes on Anderson was formed recently to do this project and that some of the key players were from Florence. So the 2004 copyright on your links page and them being based in NY is what is making me ask.

Erm - why don't you take a few photos of the Watermark? Seeing how I live out of country right now, I can't very well do that. :blush:

how are the new lake condos comming along? cant believe no one took any pics of this highrise? Ive seen the two overhead cranes they have set up out there. Maybe it will spark something else to develope.

The building is peeking over the trees right now. Once I get back to Clemson, I'll be traveling to Anderson every once in a while and see what I can do.

I can't wait to see the impression it's going to make coming down 76.

Hey folks, I'm from Anderson. Watermarke is coming along good, 2 more floors to go and from the six floor you can see the interstate, not that the view of the interstate is what the project is about. The lake view are good and you can just start to see the rail road bridge over lake hartwell now. additionally, from the double bridges on highway 24 you can see the cranes if you know where to look, but it has to be a clear morning.

Just found this board and have to say i have enjoyed most of what i have read so far.

Hey folks, I'm from Anderson. Watermarke is coming along good, 2 more floors to go and from the six floor you can see the interstate, not that the view of the interstate is what the project is about. The lake view are good and you can just start to see the rail road bridge over lake hartwell now. additionally, from the double bridges on highway 24 you can see the cranes if you know where to look, but it has to be a clear morning.

Just found this board and have to say i have enjoyed most of what i have read so far.

Welcome to Urban Planet FISHHEAD. As you can see we don't have many people 'focused' on Anderson so if you can add to this discussion it will be wonderful.

Thanks for the details about Watermarke. You can see the cranes from the double bridges? Wow. That is a long way! :blink: Feel free to share any info you can about other developments.

I heard a rumor that the big project at 85 and Clemson blvd (possibly 1000 jobs!) will include one of those faux downtowns that have become so popular. I kindof hope that the rumor is false. Although that would mean there would be some urban style density which is a plus. :thumbsup: It'll just be in a weird location.

I heard a rumor that the big project at 85 and Clemson blvd (possibly 1000 jobs!) will include one of those faux downtowns that have become so popular. I kindof hope that the rumor is false. Although that would mean there would be some urban style density which is a plus. :thumbsup: It'll just be in a weird location.

With the blue laws voted down for good, the project can really go forward. The location is viable, perspective tenants can finally come, and several fronts are happy by more shopping or more money.

With the blue laws voted down for good, the project can really go forward. The location is viable, perspective tenants can finally come, and several fronts are happy by more shopping or more money.

That's a good point and you sound like you have knowledge of this project beyond what's been in the papers. I wonder if the Anderson County Council was hearing arguments specific to this project regarding the abolition of the blue laws that didn't come up in the public conversations. That would explain the timing and would be the ultimate incentive package! :thumbsup:

Of course the other explanation for the timing is the annual Christmas suspension of the laws. Either way, nice Christmas present for the residents of Anderson.