Anderson Developments

JT Boy

I have not been to Spartanburg's downtown area in about six months. The Renaissance Project brought in the Marriott, Barnett Park and some corporate tenants. Busts were the golf course and the developer.

You should really check it out then. The new Morgan Square is very attractive. That golf course needed to go. I can't imagine a worse project for a downtown :)

I'm not sure what Mayor elect Roberts plans are regarding stuff like that. I think everyone is waiting to see what happens with the Calhoun and the Chiquola. I think a mid-rise or two that aren't as expensive might work. Roberts focus in the campaign regarding downtown was twofold... (1) attract corporate offices and (2) do some serious master planning. He's wanting to think 20 years out.

I'm a little hesitant about the master planning 20 years out. I just think it's really hard to predict that far out what will be livable. The world is changing so fast. I guess guidelines or a plan that's constantly being improved. But the idea of creating a document and sticking to it is probably impossible.

But I wholeheartedly agree with the idea that it would be a mistake to focus on creating downtown retail exclusively. Anderson needs a more significant corporate/business presence in downtown.

A 20 year master plan is pretty standard. Generally these things will change over time, but the point of them is to set a guide so that everyone knows what is expected of them when they want to locate to Anderson.

Spartanburg lacks a river (Greenville has one) and a lake (Anderson has one) to use to their advantage. It will lag behind until it can find something to bring people in.

Anderson fares well with its lake developments. It is a short time away before some developers beg to build 20 to 30 level residential towers overlooking Lake Hartwell. That would just be so cool.

I disagree with you completely. Spartanburg has Morgan Square, Barnett Park, 6 colleges and Universities (several located close to downtown), Lake Bowen, Lawson's Fork Creek, and the Tyger Rivers, and a historic feel to the city that, IMO, Greenville and Anderson do not have.

...and we have the beacon :D

I love the beacon. But Anderson is the home of Skins.

Anyway, I think some of ya'll are underestimating the draw of Hartwell Lake. The city really hasn't taken advantage of it very well, but I think it's got a recreational side (because of it's size) that other local lakes don't have.

I don't know how well thought out the next part of this post will be or whether it will make sense but as Anderson matures and starts to take advantage of the lake as a draw, I can see significant development taking place. What will be interesting to me is: Will the lake areas develop as a suburb of Greenville or will it develop as a part of Anderson?

What I mean is, will industry and business locate in Anderson because it's an attractive city with a great recreational lake or will the lake create almost exclusively residential and retail development with industry and corporate jobs still going to G'ville? Will the Hartwell lake folk all commute to their jobs in Greenville and essentially live in Greenville? Will they think of themselves as being from Greenville or Anderson?

I think Anderson is going to have to work hard to keep an identity as it's own city. It would be easy to just become part of Greenville sprawl on one side or Atlanta sprawl on the other.

I don't think Spartanburg has as much of a problem with that because it's a bit more developed IMO. It's about double the size of Anderson, right?

Edited by interestedexpat

I love the beacon. But Anderson is the home of Skins.

Anyway, I think some of ya'll are underestimating the draw of Hartwell Lake. The city really hasn't taken advantage of it very well, but I think it's got a recreational side (because of it's size) that other local lakes don't have.

I don't know how well thought out the next part of this post will be or whether it will make sense but as Anderson matures and starts to take advantage of the lake as a draw, I can see significant development taking place. What will be interesting to me is: Will the lake areas develop as a suburb of Greenville or will it develop as a part of Anderson?

What I mean is, will industry and business locate in Anderson because it's an attractive city with a great recreational lake or will the lake create almost exclusively residential and retail development with industry and corporate jobs still going to G'ville? Will the Hartwell lake folk all commute to their jobs in Greenville and essentially live in Greenville? Will they think of themselves as being from Greenville or Anderson?

I think Anderson is going to have to work hard to keep an identity as it's own city. It would be easy to just become part of Greenville sprawl on one side or Atlanta sprawl on the other.

I don't think Spartanburg has as much of a problem with that because it's a bit more developed IMO. It's about double the size of Anderson, right?

You're right. Anderson has not used the lake well enough at all. The problem is- do you want to reinvest in downtown or try to create something cool by the lake? Anderson doesn't have the momentum to do both yet. The lake also doesn't have as many public access points as it should have.

I think that the only place in Anderson where people might feel more connected with Greenville is in Powdersville. Other than that, I think they would associate with Anderson.

And you are right, Spartanburg is about twice the size of Anderson.

And Greenville is about three times the size of Spartanburg, creating much of the dominating feeling. I have great faith in Anderson's revitalization of its downtown area as well as confidence in its ability to explode around Lake Hartwell. It seems that many of the region's greatest announcements of late are closely related to the Upstate's natural resources moreso than the strong economy. Lake Hartwell is one incredible diamond waiting to be cut. :shades:

Hampton Furniture moving out of downtown for more space, but the owner (who owns the building and another one nearby) says he's committed to downtown and will aggresively seek a good fit for a tenant. I think it's a shame he didn't renovate for a two-floor showroom. Surely he could have created enough space by going up a little. Anyway - it's good to see businesses needing more space.

Also - a pottery shop "Fire up" or something like that is relocating downtown. Also an issue of an expanding business. They were in a strip mall on Clemson Blvd. Wanted to move downtown to be in a space with more character. That's good news.

Finally a dress shop is also moving close to downtown. Again, expanding and needing more room.

Slow improvements, but good. I keep reading stuff about "lots of interest" from developers in the old Belks site. I'm looking forward to the consultant's report and something getting going over there.

The guys who bought the Chiquola Hotel just bought another building in downtown (300 block of S Main, I think).

They are waiting until the downtown needs assessment is complete (in about 30 days) before deciding what to do with it. But they talked pretty agressively to the Independent Mail newspaper, mentioning more downtown housing as a possibility.

These guys said they intended to do more projects in downtown if the Chiquola went well. It seems they are moving fast. This is great for Anderson, especially for downtown.

More news about the downtown development study that's going on in Anderson.

First of all, most downtown merchants are participating in a zip code study to figure out where shoppers are coming from. I think that's going on all this week. Interesting results already. One merchant said she was surprised that she had a lot of out of town customers.

Second, there are "developers" waiting to submit proposals for the Belk property and other projects waiting for this study to finish before announcing. The study is due to finish in July. Could be an exciting Fall for downtown Anderson.

There is a really interesting discussion going on in one of the Independent Mail blogs regarding downtown Anderson. Go to the newspaper website here and then click on Nick Ch... blog. You don't have to register for this part of the site. On the left side there are forums. Goto the one about advice for the new mayor. Much of it is about downtown Anderson, but the meat starts on the second page... you'll also find a shameless plug for UP.

I wish Anderson would allow bars and clubs to open downtown. I know this is an ultra conservative town, even for the South, but without any kind of nightlife, Downtown Anderson becomes a ghost town after 6pm.

I hear that before I moved to the area there used to be 2-3 bars/clubs in Downtown Anderson, but the police harrassed them so much they all ended up closing. What a shame!

There is a really interesting discussion going on in one of the Independent Mail blogs regarding downtown Anderson. Go to the newspaper website here and then click on Nick Ch... blog. You don't have to register for this part of the site. On the left side there are forums. Goto the one about advice for the new mayor. Much of it is about downtown Anderson, but the meat starts on the second page... you'll also find a shameless plug for UP.

That was a pretty shameless plug, but it is much appreciated. Try to get those people to come over here. Thats exactly the kind of discussion I'd like to see here. Give a link with the "http://" in front of it or find someway to create a working link so that people can click on it and come straight to the Upstate page. I am glad to know that the interest is out there. I would also like to create an Anderson forum some day. We just need some more interest here:)

I wish Anderson would allow bars and clubs to open downtown. I know this is an ultra conservative town, even for the South, but without any kind of nightlife, Downtown Anderson becomes a ghost town after 6pm.

I hear that before I moved to the area there used to be 2-3 bars/clubs in Downtown Anderson, but the police harrassed them so much they all ended up closing. What a shame!

Anderson still has a few palces that stay open. probaby 4 or 5 now. Half of them are not on Main St, but just off of it. There is the New Orleans Bistro. The place in the Sullivan building. McGee's, and some other club/bar type of place on McDuffie and Orr. There might be one other, but I forget.

Corbett McGee's has been in downtwon Anderson for years.

Yeah McGees is an awsome place. I've been down there several times. Good Irish food. Good music, good atmosphere. Not a very good location though. Its the first, and only authentic Irish Pub in the Upstate. Spartanburg has Delaney's, but its not anywhere near as authentic as this place in Anderson.

That was a pretty shameless plug, but it is much appreciated. Try to get those people to come over here. Thats exactly the kind of discussion I'd like to see here. Give a link with the "http://" in front of it or find someway to create a working link so that people can click on it and come straight to the Upstate page.

Shameless, but hopefully effective. I didn't do the direct click link because I'm too lazy to go figure it out.

So it sounds like Anderson does have some nightlife downtown it's just not concentrated on Main Street. Actually I think that's good. I'd prefer the bars and nightlife to stay off main and remain on connector streets.

Anyway, heard a rumor that Anderson has a big economic investment announcement coming soon. Millions of dollars. A company locating near the airport. That's all the details I've heard. Anybody else hear about this? Anderson does seem to land these kinds of things every few years.

The big announcement was a little bit of a dud. A florida boat manufacturer is moving operations to a location next to the Anderson Airport. It's a 10 million dollar investment and they'll employ about 35 people initially.

Actually, that's a great announcement, but I was hoping for the next Walgreens.

Article: East-West Connector on hold until new funding found

Anderson Independent Mail (SC)

2006/05/17

The East-West Connector is on hiatus after a claim there is a shortfall in funding.

There was another article in today's Independent Mail about this. The outgoing Mayor is really pushing to keep this on track. They are talking about taking a loan against future state support. If there is anyone else who reads this forum that lives (or lived) in an area where this connector would make an impact, I'd love to know your thoughts.

I used to live near there. And I support the idea of a connector. Although I think they planned it far too close in to the city. I would like to have seen the plans start it in the same place on 81 but connect it further out Clemson Blvd. Anyway, I was supportive.

But I don't think it's "needed" enough to take a loan. I was supportive because I thought it might spur development and help infill that area more. Perhaps prevent sprawl. I feel very differently when we talk about seeking a loan to pay for it. What do ya'll think?

I used to live near there. And I support the idea of a connector. Although I think they planned it far too close in to the city. I would like to have seen the plans start it in the same place on 81 but connect it further out Clemson Blvd. Anyway, I was supportive.

I concur moving it farther up Clemson Boulevard. The most logical place would be the SC-28 bypass. It would go through part of a church property, intersect with Brown Road and take off toward Concord Road. There are many residential communities along Brown Road to make that possible.

I wonder why no one builds a connector where it is needed most from SC-81 to US-76/US-178 (Belton Highway).

If the Connector had cut to 28 bypass that would have been better. I'd have gone further. I probably would have cut to the Clemson side of the expressway and created another Anderson freeway exit between 21 and 27. It would have been less functional for trying to keep traffic off of Brown Road. But I don't see what the big problem is with traffic using Brown, especially as the bridge is being straightened. Other than residents complaining about it.

It would have had the benefit of creating an exit on 85 at about the 23-24 mile marker. there is a lot of residential in that area. I bet giving them a way to get over the exit 19 without going through town would keep them off Brown Road. And I think that entire area between 81 and Clemson inside 85 is prime for more residential, especially if they had better access to the expressway. Right now, most people in Anderson who commute to Greenville for work do so along 81 (or to a lesser extent Midway Road). If this area had easy access to the interstate, I could see a lot of people entering there, thus keeping 81 lighter.

Anyway - probably too late for these ideas.

Anderson City Council approved the first reading of the first gated community for the city. A 31 acre development off of Midway Road. A mixed community, townhouses and single family. It's being done by Baylis Maxell who said he's working on more gated projects around lake hartwell.