Anderson Developments

JT Boy

As I said, I totally agree with your statement above, but you know deep down inside that you'd love to see at least one new tower in your hometown, as would I. Listen, Myrtle Beach, Columbia, Greenville, Spartanburg, and Florence don't have to be the only cities in South Carolina with high density towers in their urban centers. As you have said multiple times, the towers in Columbia and Greenville have not hampered these cities' ability to thrive on the street-level, so I would hope for similar success in our smaller cities as well. If a company comes along with plans to build a tower in Anderson, I will be thrilled. :shades:

Well who wouldn't be excited. Any highrise is big news in any city in SC... well, except maybe Myrtle Beach. ;)

When I complained about the First Citizen's building being only 2 floors, I wasn't thinking it should have been a tower. I'm not sure downtown Anderson would be well served by that. I would prefer to see some mid-rise mixed use developments. I think downtown Anderson could support a few of these.

(1) a small mid-range hotel. 5-8 floor with the first floor having at least two retail spaces. I think something small like 4 rooms per floor going up. So a 16-20 room hotel and then the top floor be a banquet/function room. I think a small hotel if it was high quality could work. It would quickly become the place to have a function because of its height. And it would be the only quality, charming, unique place to stay in Anderson if you didn't want to be on the interstate. People would put their wedding parties there. People would stay there for Clemson home games. It would be the only quality hotel in downtown.

(2) a small mixed use building with the following (again 5-8 floors)... First floor retail w/ a bar and grill style restaurant, 3 floors of office space and 2-3 floors of apartments (again 4 apartments per floor max and make them affordable!). It would be the place to live downtown if you can't afford to buy a 250,000+ condo. And office space in a new building would be a novel idea. It would be the only place on the market.

(3) a retail center. 3-4 floors with ample, free, off street parking behind the building. Key tenants would be a bookstore, some sort of fast food (subway?), haircut shop, men's suits, jewelry, video rental place and a convenience store (7-11).

If two of these three could be built in the next five years, Anderson would really benefit. I think a tower would be out of place and character. But I think a few mid-rises scattered into the current downtown would be great.

Wrecking ball in old mill's future

Anderson Independent-Mail

Monday, July 17

It's a shame that these old mill's (the story talks about a few of them) near downtown can't be converted for contemporary use. From the article it looks they they are just too far gone to make that economically feasible. Once they are down though, it will create good opportunities significant size land purchases inside the city for either new industry or high density housing (hopefully).

New rec center opens it's doors

Tuesday, July 18

This one has been a long time in coming. The old Coleman rec center was pretty delapidated. Anderson has a pretty decent network of affordable rec opportunities and this might be the crown jewel! The building looks cool too. A nice addition to downtown. It makes me wonder if a nice apartment community on that side of downtown across from the rec center might be a draw.... A nice short walk to a first class fitness facility which is virtually free. I could see 4 buildings, 4-5 floors each with a total of 20 units. Market it to Anderson College and young "recent" graduates working in Anderson. Can't fault a guy for dreaming. :)

Edited by interestedexpat

Apparantly this particular mill caught fire a few years ago and is beyond repair. I hope that they can save some elements of it though, and incorporate it into whatever goes in its place.

Knocking older mills seems to be popular these days. No one realizes other uses they may have if they invest a great deal into refurbishing them, bringing them up to code, and reusing them as residential, coprorate or commercial space.

I heard there is some idea to build an apartment complex on the Orr-Lyons site. If someone could build a replica of the old mill as a light combination residential/commercial center, it may spark some development on Anderson's south side. Much more sstill needs to be done.

What former still-standing mills in Anderson would be useful to revitalize?

The article cited talks about Apartments for the Orr-Lyons site. I would be shocked if it was mixed use though or a replica of the old mill (although I agree that would be cool). Even to just keep the facade of the old mill would add character and charm.

The article mentioned a few other abandoned mills near the railroad tracks that run a little south and west of downtown. I don't know how viable doing something with these would be, especially considering the need for environmental clean up (which I think is almost finished on some of the sites).

The idea of turning the old mill sites into mixed use developments to spur development in neglected neighborhoods would play nicely into Mayor Roberts talk about focusing on neglected neighborhoods.

There was an editorial a few days ago in the Anderson Independent-Mail about the new mayor's vision. It suggested that the current approach is failing (hard to argue against that) and suggests using redevelopment dollars to create a market based solutions rather than trying to bribe people to move into rundown neighborhoods. I think that's on the right track. And maybe the mills are an opportunity.

There was an interesting article in the Independent Mail over the weekend about employment in Anderson County. (Sorry I don't have the exact link.) I didn't realize that Anderson Co's unemployment rate is 2% points higher than the rest of the state! Yikes.

The article seemed a little depressing to me. :( Although the county officials who were interviewed tried to be upbeat, it sounds like things aren't going too well. I think they said 11 million dollars has been invested to date this year (compared with like 150+ million last year). That sounds like a major slow down. They attributed the slow down to the national economy and spiking oil prices. Not sure I buy it.

The bright spot seemed to be housing sales are up in the county like 7% over last year. But that was attributed to retirees moving in from out of state. That's great, but a healthy city it does not make.

Anderson has a mixed history with its investment. However, when it has a good year, it has a really good year.

You may be interested in this link expat:

Investment so far in 2006

To see past years, click on "Developments" in the lower part of the left hand column, then select your year. This is a generally interesting site to explore if you are interested in economic development in Anderson County.

I thought that another company at the level of impact that Walgreen's had was looking to invest in Anderson?

Anderson has a mixed history with its investment. However, when it has a good year, it has a really good year.

You may be interested in this link expat:

Investment so far in 2006

To see past years, click on "Developments" in the lower part of the left hand column, then select your year. This is a generally interesting site to explore if you are interested in economic development in Anderson County.

I thought that another company at the level of impact that Walgreen's had was looking to invest in Anderson?

It may have been the new boat manufacturer which had raised the buzz level before anything was officially announced? I recall it being a bit of a let down, but still not bad news.

Edited by Skyliner

July 28

Article about progress on the Chiquola Hotel in downtown Anderson. Sounds like they are making great progress and have commitments from a couple of ground floor tenants. The really encouraging thing to me is the interest the developer says from other potential tenants. Starbucks was one mentioned.

I was in Anderson briefly yesterday. The new bank downtown looks nice, and the Chiquola building is progressing nicely. Starbucks would definately be a great addition to downtown. That is an example of a chain that could easily spur other businesses to locate there just by its presence. Does Anderson have any other Starbucks around town?

Does Anderson have any other Starbucks around town?

I don't think there are existing locations. As much as I'd like something more local, I agree that Starbucks probably packs a bigger punch. So let's hope Starbucks is the one.

In other news

Anderson Independent Mail

July 28

White Jones hardware and Dollar stores are adding locations at 24 and 187. This is a key intersection serving the Hartwell lake community.

July 28

Stine Gallery to move back downtown. This helps the image of downtown Anderson as a fledgling arts community.

Thats awesome news. I agree with Spartan, a downtown Starbucks would definately help draw both local and perhaps national chains to the downtown area.

I also like interestedexpat's idea of having low-midrise buildings before any new highrises are built. Anderson needs a little filling in before it needs a skyscraper.

July 28

White Jones hardware and Dollar stores are adding locations at 24 and 187. This is a key intersection serving the Hartwell lake community.

SC-24 is doing well attracting more businesses. Hopefully the will consider widening the road out to I-85 in coming years to handle the growth and enhance Anderson's western gateway.

The article mentioned the possibility of another grocer coming; Super Bi-Lo and Publix come to mind.

The idea of a second grocer makes me a little nervous. The Ingles that's there does a pretty slow business (except on weekends). I'm not sure the population in the neighborhood is enough yet. I guess you have to assume they'll do their market research. But I'd hate to see a new grocer and then 5 years from now, one big empty box just sitting there 'cause they couldn't make ends meet.

There has been talk about widening up 24 all the way to 85. It was just a couple of years ago that they finished the widening work from 28 bypass to the double bridges. I'm not sure traffic will warrant it for another 15 - 20 years, but it sure would make a nicer western entrance to Anderson.

Edited by interestedexpat

Ingle's is packed in the weekday afternoons and evenings. Another grocer would not help in one of Anderson's growing areas. (Ingle's Anderson stores are next on their list for pharmacies; they will arrive in early 2007.)

SC-24 has reached its capacity. ANATS has negotiated for years when to speed up the project. This will come to fruition in about five years.

Thats awesome news. I agree with Spartan, a downtown Starbucks would definately help draw both local and perhaps national chains to the downtown area.

I also like interestedexpat's idea of having low-midrise buildings before any new highrises are built. Anderson needs a little filling in before it needs a skyscraper.

I'm not so sure. Gville's Daniel (Landmark) building was pretty lonely for quite awhile. I think a 15 -20 story building could work fine in Anderson, and it would really take it's skyline to a new level.

Ingle's is packed in the weekday afternoons and evenings. Another grocer would not help in one of Anderson's growing areas. (Ingle's Anderson stores are next on their list for pharmacies; they will arrive in early 2007.)

SC-24 has reached its capacity. ANATS has negotiated for years when to speed up the project. This will come to fruition in about five years.

It's good to hear Ingle's is doing so well. In my (admittedly) limited visits it didn't appear so. I wonder what the zip code counts for their customers are? How far are people coming to visit that store? And from where? It sounds like they are mostly visiting on their way home from work...so a majority live further away from the city? I'm trying to think of another location for a second grocer out there besides across the street from Ingles. Could they go all the way up to the Portman Marina intersection on 24? Or maybe back towards Anderson down 24 somewhere?

Besides serving the immediate lakeside community, Ingle's appears to be closer to Fair Play and Townville; Seneca would be the next choice. Ingle's did not relocate their Pearman Dairy Road store to its current location for nothing years ago. Moderate growth and the populatiry of nearby Portman Marina communities has fueled growth for several years now.

A second grocer could build farther toward Fair Play if they built on the western sidge of the double bridges. Locating across from Ingle's would be good to establish a retial district for Anderson's western lake communities.

If you're speaking about building closer to Pearman Dairy Road (SC-28), the area is in need of dire revitalization. It can easily be the next Clemson Boulevard.

Hello, guys and gals. I run one of the stores in the mall, and after the arcade closed in the food court, I contacted Starbucks about pursuing the vacancy. Don't know what will come of that, but hey, doesn't hurt to try.

Also, concerning the mall, I've been browsing the site for a couple hours and I've seen a few posts that cast some doubt on the mall's future. While I'm not running one of the anchors, I do run one of the bigger stores and believe it or not, my store is the #3 volume store in the state, out of nearly 30 locations. In little ol' Anderson!

The following is completely mall rumor and shop talk, so please treat it as such. I've heard that the reason NY & Co. relocated to the front of the mall in a smaller store (which completely emptied the corridor adjacent to Women's Belk) is so that Belk could consolidate the Men's store in that space. Dillard's was planned for the shopping center that was scrapped off exit 19, but after that was scrapped was looking at the Men's Belk space.

An even quieter rumor is that Bass Pro Shops is eyeing the area around the Bingo building on the mall property. I've just heard that kind of talk from contractors, though. However, any of these developments, should they prove true, would certainly bring a smile to my face.

Welcome to the forum Pringles!

That is some interesting insight into Anderson Mall. A Dillards would definitely help that mall out, so I hope that works. I know that I would probably go to Dillards (I live in Clemson right now) if it were there.

I think this might be the first that we have head of that shopping center at exit 19 being cancelled. Its news to me at any rate. Thats too bad. I suspect that something else will come along though. Exit 19 has too much valuable real estate to not be used.

We have heard that Bass Pro was looking at the Upstate. Previously we had head that they were only looking in Greenville and Spartanburg. I didn't know Anderson was in the running as well. I think that they have settled on a Greenville location, but I am not certain how final that was. Perhaps someone can confirm or deny that?

Personally, I question Anderson's viablility for a Bass Pro store since it is not that far from the store at Discover Mills in Atlanta.