Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

What I find exciting about Universals plans for IDrive is that it suddenly becomes REAL expansion beyond their borders. This section of IDrive / Universal will transform into a destination area (we can expect that any development on these properties will include street side pedestrian activity). This will ultimately push (re)development down Universal Blvd right to the Eye, where there are a few parking lots just waiting to also be developed which were in the initial renderings for the Eye property.

There was some kind of pow-wow this morning regarding beautification & pedestrian safety along I-Drive.

One of the proposals was a pedestrian bridge over the Sand Lake Rd intersection. Several renderings were shown on the news, but as yet, I can only find this one online...

7850156_G.jpg

More views should be available later.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

In the rendering the crosswalks at street level are still there...who is the expected user of this?

If this is tied into a high-line type of trail for cycling, it could be good. Otherwise, how can we realistically expect people to use it just to cross a street

• Like 1

In the rendering the crosswalks at street level are still there...who is the expected user of this?

If this is tied into a high-line type of trail for cycling, it could be good. Otherwise, how can we realistically expect people to use it just to cross a street

Are staircases that much out of our cultural vernacular that we can't comprehend using them to cross a street?  I've seen pedestrian crossings like this at extremely busy intersections in Asia, and they are regularly used.  Given that this intersection is gridlocked more often than not as it is and development is only increasing in this area, I think this is definitely a positive.  

I saw this in an Orlando Sentinel post on Facebook. Unfortunately, it's behind some kind of paywall that my regular subscription won't let me access. :ermm:  I can't tell much from the map on the preview image, but the URL suggests it'll front Universal Bvld.

Land for the next anchor hotel for the Orange County (Fla) Convention Center will be marketed as soon as Monday to major hotel chains and developers. Estimated price? $52 million.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/growthspotter/news/gs-universal-boulevard-land-planned-for-large-hotel-20150528-story.html