Norfolk Development

vdogg

Personally, I can't belive they're making them move. That is an invaluable service that group does for downtown, and if they think all the homeless are just gonna pack up and move to Va Beach, they're gonna have a rude awakening when they trip over a homeless guy sleeping on the sidewalk next to granby tower.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I can't belive they're making them move.  That is an invaluable service that group does for downtown, and if they think all the homeless are just gonna pack up and move to Va Beach, they're gonna have a rude awakening when they trip over a homeless guy sleeping on the sidewalk next to granby tower.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think its a invaluable service. The are actually going to have a better place to stay now with more room for beds. There really is no place for a homeless in the middle of DT. What makes you think they are trying to move them to Vabeach with a bigger center getting ready to open? Have you been down there and seen what some of the homeless people do to people walking around DT. I go to TCC and a they come into the library and harass people and one pulled his stuff out at a female student. I do have compassion for some but most of them choose to live that life.

Buddy G. has said he wants Union Mission building for condos. If recent demand is any indication, he'll probably have to wait in line! On another note, somewhere around here people were kinda bad-mouthing Mr. Collins. Let me tell you this, RiverPark, Heritage at Freemason, PierPoint, 388 Boush and The Landings at Bolling Square are all first-class developments. Bar none. Mr. Collins is a true Norfolk redevelopment pioneer, and he should receive our hearty thanks. Before now, I have never heard one person say that Heritage was ugly, boring, dull, or inappropriate in any way. The architecture is timeless, simple yet elegant, and for the mid/late 1990's in Downtown, any development (much less luxury brick apartments with gated rear parking....and a waiting list of people willing to pay super high rents) was an awfully big risk. Yes, thanks to pioneering entrepreneurs like Mr. Collins and Mr. Taubman, Norfolk is rising from the ashes.

Buddy G. has said he wants Union Mission building for condos. If recent demand is any indication, he'll probably have to wait in line!  On another note, somewhere around here people were kinda bad-mouthing Mr. Collins. Let me tell you this, RiverPark, Heritage at Freemason, PierPoint, 388 Boush and The Landings at Bolling Square are all first-class developments.  Bar none. Mr. Collins is a true Norfolk redevelopment pioneer, and he should receive our hearty thanks. Before now, I have never heard one person say that Heritage was ugly, boring, dull, or inappropriate in any way.  The architecture is timeless, simple yet elegant, and for the mid/late 1990's in Downtown, any development (much less luxury brick apartments with gated rear parking....and a waiting list of people willing to pay super high rents) was an awfully big risk.  Yes, thanks to pioneering entrepreneurs like Mr. Collins and Mr. Taubman, Norfolk is rising from the ashes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well stated on Art Collins. I haven't seen any further support for the one who posted critical of the Heritage at Freemason apartments. It took guts to develop that project at the time, and it added hundreds of downtown residents at a time when we needed them most.

Chesapeake Pirate

while I am not a fan of the Heritage, they look a bit too generic for me. They do blend in with the area well and create a good connection with downtown and W Freemason. Much better than the surface lots that use to be there.

I can't wait to go back home someday to visit and maybe even one day get to design some architecture.

Has anyone heard anything about another condo development bieng proposed an Brambleton? I am not sure of the location I just heard something in passing that there is another semi-large scale development being proposed somewhere on Brambleton.

Has anyone heard anything about another condo development bieng proposed an Brambleton?  I am not sure of the location I just heard something in passing that there is another semi-large scale development being proposed somewhere on Brambleton.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you talking about this one do you think?:

"Kotarides Developers is planning an 18- to 20-story apartment tower on what

I am hoping that if Granby doesn't go through they will either greatly increase the size of this tower or Buddy may be able to buy a portion of their land and build a tower there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm just wondering because I'm a kid and don't know much abotu purchasing a place to live :lol: , but is there a different kind of person that buys an apartment or a condo, or do they just go hand in hand? I mean could there be a huge demand for condos, and then very little demand for apartments?

I'm just wondering because I'm a kid and don't know much abotu purchasing a place to live  :lol: , but is there a different kind of person that buys an apartment or a condo, or do they just go hand in hand? I mean could there be a huge demand for condos, and then very little demand for apartments?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You buy condos and rent apartments. So all the apartments in an apartment building are owned by one entity which can also serve as the leasing agent and/or management (they can also contract with a leasing agent and/or provide a free apt to a person who acts as the super). A condominium building is a co-op. Individuals purchase condos (like a house) and pay monthly dues to the condo association which provides for building upkeep, pool services, concierge/doorman, landscaping, and in many cases, utilities like hot water. Like a homeowner, a condo owner can rent their condo out.

Welcome to the site Cityguy. Yes, all of Hampton Roads has a lot going on especially Norfolk. I hope in a couple of years to take my mom back to her hometown to see all the completed projects. I am sure she will be quite surprised.

I've been checking this site for a while now and finally decided to register. Last week I took some relatives from Cleveland through downtown Norfolk and they were very impressed. I told them to just wait to see it in about 3 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome! I'm sure glad they were impressed at Norfolk, I know I am with all the recent developments. And you're right, in three years this will be a very different place! :D

I've been checking this site for a while now and finally decided to register. Last week I took some relatives from Cleveland through downtown Norfolk and they were very impressed. I told them to just wait to see it in about 3 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the forum cityguy! :)

Does anyone know if the TCC building on Granby St. ( G on the aerial photo) is still in the works? Or is that canceled now that they will have offices at the new Harbor Heights project.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its unclear as of right now but someone could email the college and see. :whistling:

Does anyone know if the TCC building on Granby St. ( G on the aerial photo) is still in the works? Or is that canceled now that they will have offices at the new Harbor Heights project.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The TCC building and Harbor Heights are one in the same with the condos occupying the top floors. There will be a GW market on the bottom with offices/classes (i think) taking up the rest. This will be a 476,000 sq ft building. Construction/demolition began months ago but is currently on hold due to some technical difficulties.

The TCC building and Harbor Heights are one in the same with the condos occupying the top floors. There will be a GW market on the bottom with offices/classes (i think) taking up the rest. This will be a 476,000 sq ft building. Construction/demolition began months ago but is currently on hold due to some technical difficulties.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I remember hearing that TCC was building a structure adjacent to harbor heights as well as the couple floors in the HH building. Have to go through the posts to find that.

Actually, I remember hearing that TCC was building a structure adjacent to harbor heights as well as the couple floors in the HH building.  Have to go through the posts to find that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I thought, too.

All along, I'd been thinking that a dedicated building for TCC was going to be located to the right of 388 Boush, as it were, abutting the La Galleria restaurant.

EDIT: I guess not, or at least I can't find anything about that. But does anyone know specifically what will be located on that relatively small parcel that abuts La Galleria?

The site looks like it's ready for something, and has for a long time.

After the bldg. that previously sat on that site was demo'd, the crews didn't seem to waste much time with site prep., including prepping the side of the restaurant to have something butting up against it again, I assumed.

I was right. If you go to the first page of the Harbor heights progress link, the newspaper article states that TCC will occupy two floors of HH and will connect to a six story adjacent office building on the corner of the building. Here is the link for those who are to lazy. HH/TCC :)

What is going to happen to the library now if the feds take the greyhound bus station? Will they relocate that somewhere else?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's why I think the court shouldn't EXPAND to the Greyhound site, but rather MOVE to it and hand over their present building to the city for use as a library. Doesn't the architectural style of the current court building demand such a stately civic use?

Archived