Norfolk Development

vdogg

Sounds like the heart of Ghent to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, sure is. And a nice upscale mixed use development will go quite nicely over there. Norfolk isn't playing around anymore. They're not just concentrating on DT but they're revitalizing every corner of the city. It only seems like they're picking up momentum and I love it. :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, I was wondering if they added floors the HH because of this long delay. It could be a possiblity. It would be nice to see it at 20 floors

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know. When they say "technical difficulties" it makes me think there may have been a problem with the original design, not that they are amending it but perhaps there is a problem in the process that they need to address before they continue.

Thats by the old Farm fresh  building

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right. The former Farm Fresh/file storage operation basically occupies the block.

The Planning Commission has had the subject of "height restriction" re that property on its agenda for a while now. However, I haven't heard that the previously-announced plan for that property has changed: A Gold's Gym with condos on top of it. So, I'm guessing the height restrictions must be pretty low there, because I don't recall that there were going to be all that many units in the project. I wouldn't doubt a small parking garage might contribute some height, though.

Nonetheless, that's a huge chunk of relatively prime Ghent land to have sat fallow for so long. I'm sort of surprised not to have seen any noticeable action to date.

Meanwhile, the look of abandonment that sets in so quickly once a property becomes vacant is in full stride, and advancing. I'm sure the tenants and landlord of the relatively nice-looking strip shopping center across 21st St. will be happy to see some action.

Also, it looks like California Pizza Kitchen will be gaining another location on monticello avenue in Norfolk.

3.            Private Project

a.      300 Monticello Avenue, California Pizza Kitchen; outdoor dining & railing  *

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure if it was mentioned here or in the Pilot, but CPK is opening a location at MacArthur where Castaldi's used to be.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned here or in the Pilot, but CPK is opening a location at MacArthur where Castaldi's used to be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That must be 300 monticello avenue then. I can't imagine there being 2 downtown. I'm curious though, if this establishment is going to be in the mall, why would they have to go through planning commission approval. I thought the malls have pretty much free rein over what would go inside their property so long as they match certain parameters.

That must be 300 monticello avenue then. I can't imagine there being 2 downtown. I'm curious though, if this establishment is going to be in the mall, why would they have to go through planning commission approval. I thought the malls have pretty much free rein over what would go inside their property so long as they match certain parameters.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It only says outdoor dining and railing. I'm not sure if Castaldi's had outdoor dining, and if so, how large it was and whether it was removed after its closing. It just sounds that CPK is applying to modify the patio area, either enlarging it or changing the fencing.

Just checked the address, and it is MacArthur's official address. And checked again, MacArthur's site lists CPK as coming soon to Castaldi's old site.

I've googled all that I can and still nothing on the Harbor's Edge website.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, so have I. I'm a bit dissapointed that this thing is halfway through construction and they have done almost nothing to promote it.

The city may might some info on the developer or other information that could be helpful.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wasn't that project sold out, or close to it, long before it broke ground? If so, I guess the thought was why waste money developing a web site.

Nonetheless, in referring to Harbor's Edge, NorfolkDevelopment.com links to this awfully-dull web site for Greystone, which doesn't even bother to list the project in their partial client list.

However, the architecture firm's web site does list it in their portfolio -- but there's nary a photo to be found.

Wasn't that project sold out, or close to it, long before it broke ground?  If so, I guess the thought was why waste money developing a web site.

Nonetheless, in referring to Harbor's Edge, NorfolkDevelopment.com links to this awfully-dull web site for Greystone, which doesn't even bother to list the project in their partial client list.

However, the architecture firm's web site does list it in their portfolio -- but there's nary a photo to be found.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even if a projects sold out most developers will still list it in their portfolio as a matter of pride or for advertising. I just thought it strange that such a major project would have no website.

Would like to see some of the other plans for that area. I seen somewhere there is suppose to be some kind of hotel being raised in that area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Had you seen the Urban Land Institute's full assessment and plan for the area?

I don't know how much of the recommendations the city adopted, but here is the 48-page redevelopment plan published by the ULI as a PDF three and a half years ago.

Even if a projects sold out most developers will still list it in their portfolio as a matter of pride or for advertising. I just thought it strange that such a major project would have no website.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I remember, a non-profit foundation was established to develop -- or have a role in the development of -- Harbor's Edge, though, so that might've changed the dynamics of posting for pride or advertising.

However, yeah, one would've thought Greystone -- whatever their involvement -- would've mentioned it, but since their client list is pages of single-spaced text anyway, I guess it was no big deal to them.

Archived