Norfolk Development

vdogg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is off the radar a little bit but I happened to be driving by Norfolk State University yesterday and it looks like work is well underway on the foundation of the first building in the RISE complex. This one is a planed 6 story building at the corner of Brambleton and Park.

Here is a link with some further details of the plans:

NSU "RISE" campus

Thanks for the link CP! Did you watch the really cool 2.5 minute video?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it was impressive. This project has great potential for the university and the city, as it could really solidify and upgrade the area around NSU, which has been partially upgraded over the recent years. There is still much to accomplish, but this could marry up well with Norfolks plan to redevelop from Downtown Plaza over to Tidewater Drive.

I love that little round bank building, I will probably love it more now that it will be renovated.  Speaking of which, how far along with it are they and does anyone want to go talk some pictures of it and that area?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I hope someone sure gets some pics of it before the renovation. As far as I know, nothing has been done to it as of yet. They're beginning to see how much of an interest there is, and if the past is an indicator, it will probably sell out in a week! :lol:

Yeah I hope someone sure gets some pics of it before the renovation. As far as I know, nothing has been done to it as of yet. They're beginning to see how much of an interest there is, and if the past is an indicator, it will probably sell out in a week!  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They have been working inside of it for awhile now.

Thanks for scanning that ad guynvb.  That is the best view of DT Norfolk I have ever seen.  It really shows off the density of the CBD.  The skyline will look even better fromthat angle in about 2 or 3 years after the completion of Trader (and Hilton).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Seven Cities. I really like that view as well.

Planning commission

Here is an interesting development. Not only is it mixed use but height limitations are being reviewed as well. Hmm.... :) . I'll have to hunt through the zoning regs and see what exactly the height limits are in that section of Colley.

7. JG-21ST STREET LLC AND KG 21ST STREET LLC, to amend the Zoning Ordinance of The City of Norfolk, 1992 as amended: Continued

a. To amend Section 11-20.3, Table of Principal Uses for Pedestrian Commercial Overlay Districts for PCO Colley and 21st Street to allow Mixed Uses by special exception

2. For a special exception to operate a mixed use on property bounded by Omohundro Avenue on the west, 21st Street to the north, Llewellyn Avenue to the east and 20th Street to the south; premises numbered 201 W. 21st Street

3. To amend Section 11-21.3, Development Standards to add subsection entitled Height Limitations For Mixed Uses.

Kinda set apart from DT though. I'm really wondering what type of project they have envisioned for that area. I can't imagine anything of significant height going there, maybe a nice dense low to midrise ala the row at ghent however. We'll have to wait and see.

Also, it appears that work on the closure of streets for Granby Tower will begin shortly. We'll call this pre-sitework sitework :lol: .

10. CITY OF NORFOLK, for the closing, vacating and discontinuing of a 60-foot wide portion of York Street from the western line of Granby Street extending westward 185 feet more or less. Approved

11. CITY OF NORFOLK, for the closing, vacating and discontinuing of a northern portion of Bute Street, beginning at the intersection of the northwest corner of Bute Street and Granby Street, extending south along the western line of Granby Street 22.94 feet more or less, then extending 164 feet more or less westwardly to a width of 13.92 feet more or less. Approved

Also, it looks like California Pizza Kitchen will be gaining another location on monticello avenue in Norfolk.

3. Private Project

a. 300 Monticello Avenue, California Pizza Kitchen; outdoor dining & railing *

what kind of height regulations?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you mean? There are height regs for mixed use developments in that area. I don't know exactly what they are yet but it appears that they do exist for that section of the city. I guess your question confuses me because I didn't know the were different "kinds" of height regs. It either has a height reg which is set at a certain height or it does not.

Archived