Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

2 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I just met THE MOST INTENSE guy who works at BAC. Says the price of gold is going up, so these are 2005 bubble levels. "DO NOT buy a house; Sell a house and rent" was the crux of the conversation. His wife rolled her eyes.

Oh great, that means the bubble is going to burst fairly shortly.

As Charlotte and Mecklenburg county as a whole is very Democratic, I was wondering what the effect of Bernie Sanders breaking up the big banks would be here in CLT? Personally, I think it would be bad for CLT and thats why I will not be voting for Bernie. But what does everyone else here think?

5 hours ago, Piedmont767 said:

As Charlotte and Mecklenburg county as a whole is very Democratic, I was wondering what the effect of Bernie Sanders breaking up the big banks would be here in CLT? Personally, I think it would be bad for CLT and thats why I will not be voting for Bernie. But what does everyone else here think?

Seems like the consolidation of several of the big banks over the years, has actually done more harm to Charlotte, and not the reverse. But honestly, even if Sanders became president, I don't think the possibility of breaking up the banks would fly. Republicans would vote against it, as well as many Democrats. The best we could hope for is financial reform, like a modern Glass-Steagall, and better regulations. Breaking up big banks is a very populist platform, but I don't see it happening, at least not in the present.

The one thing I'm more worried about this general election, is riots. If Trump is the nominee, can we expect to see more riots among his supporters and protesters, like what happened in Chicago last night? I certainly don't want to see that happen in any major city in North Carolina, especially Charlotte. This election season is unbelievable... 

St. pete is such an underrated city. People always think of Tampa in the bay area and they forget there's a whole another peninsula of densely populated area. It has a very unique personality as a city.

Someone force levine to take some notes so maybe his master plan won't suck 

There’s going to be a mega food truck event at the Music Factory this fall

As many as 100 food trucks will converge in Charlotte one day this fall for a mega-event celebrating mobile food in the Carolinas (and Atlanta).

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/42461/theres-going-mega-food-truck-event-music-factory-fall/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Piedmont767 said:

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/north-carolina

Personally, I'm disappointed Trump won in Mecklenburg, but I'm happy he won by a small 2% margin.

When you look at both parties, Trump only won 13.9% of the vote in Mecklenburg County.... rest assured he isn't popular here, even among most Republicans (even 68% of Republicans didn't vote for him). He's "winning" because that 68% that didn't vote for him is getting split up among the other three Republicans (now two).
Of all ballots cast in Mecklenburg:
Clinton: 34.6%
Sanders: 22.0%
Trump: 13.9%
Cruz: 12.9%
Kasich: 9.7%
Rubio: 5.1%
The rest was other

Edited by CLT2014

On March 16, 2016 at 3:18 AM, Piedmont767 said:

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/north-carolina

Personally, I'm disappointed Trump won in Mecklenburg, but I'm happy he won by a small 2% margin.

this begs the question, which other gop candidate would you have preferred to win? Keep in mind that Kasich is a hard-core anti-urbanist who is an instrument of the sprawl lobby.  Trump at least acknowledges the importance of transit, infrastructure and cities to our future.

(don't mistake this as me being pro-Trump, I am not. But I think its important to point out that his incredible awfulness does not make the other gop candidates any better)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kermit said:

this begs the question, which other gop candidate would you have preferred to win? Keep in mind that Kasich is a hard-core anti-urbanist who is part of the sprawl lobby.  Trump at least acknowledges the importance of transit, infrastructure and cities to our future.

(don't mistake this as me being pro-Trump, I am not. But I think its important to point out that his incredible awfulness does not make the other gop candidates any better)

It's true. For all the ire and rage that Trump is instigating, it could be argued that in terms of actual presidential actions, Cruz would be far more destructive. Trump is like an explosive device, but Cruz is a sharp shooter; he knows exactly what to do, and he will create maximum damage.

2 hours ago, kermit said:

this begs the question, which other gop candidate would you have preferred to win? Keep in mind that Kasich is a hard-core anti-urbanist who is part of the sprawl lobby.  Trump at least acknowledges the importance of transit, infrastructure and cities to our future.

Yeah Kasich lost me when I was living in Ohio and he refused to accept $400 million to get the 3C (Cleveland -> Columbus -> Cincinnati) rail corridor off the ground.  All his posturing did was reallocate the Federal dollars to other states and other projects.  Nothing like hurting your own state to pander to your party.  

3 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Yeah Kasich lost me when I was living in Ohio and he refused to accept $400 million to get the 3C (Cleveland -> Columbus -> Cincinnati) rail corridor off the ground.  All his posturing did was reallocate the Federal dollars to other states and other projects.  Nothing like hurting your own state to pander to your party.  

Yeah, CA got a slice of that $400M for the $68 BILLION dollar HSR line they are horribly mis-managing. They probably burned the cash within 3 days. I'm sure in 2025 CA HSR will have better than expected ridership as San Francisco residents race to buy tickets and get off the train in beautiful Bakersfield, CA (pictured below) and transition to a bus for the 2 hour+ drive time into Los Angeles. 

Because other states refuse or are struggling to build HSR, CA is sucking up all of the money without accountability from the Feds about how they are wasting money. The CA project needs to be executed better or else it will be utilized as the poster child of how "high speed rail isn't viable" to every other state and we will go decades longer without HSR. 

The whole project could be killed by November... a measure will be on the November ballot to shift the funds for HSR to water projects due to the drought.

lbnl_Bakersfield_pollution_686.jpg

Edited by CLT2014

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/best-skylines-in-america-seattle-chicago-and-las-vegas-top-our-list

No. 19 out of 20 for the most beautiful skylines in America (on Thrillist) isn't too shabby. But, personally I think that, some cities, like Boston, personally are a little boring and plain. 

EDIT- They mention the DEC in the article but miss it out on the picture used in the article. 

Edited by Piedmont767