Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

I'm guessing you're in the BB&T building unless you've expertly cropped it out, putting you in Charlotte Plaza. 

I enjoy my view out at BAC central, though founder's hall periodically blinds me. I can see between the buildings out across 1st Ward and Belmont beyond. If I stand up I get a nice view of the square.

12 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I'm guessing you're in the BB&T building unless you've expertly cropped it out, putting you in Charlotte Plaza. 

I enjoy my view out at BAC central, though founder's hall periodically blinds me. I can see between the buildings out across 1st Ward and Belmont beyond. If I stand up I get a nice view of the square.

Oh, no. Sorry, I should have been clearer- I stole that photo from another site! Haha, I was curious. I'm a flight attendant! I get to peer out of the window and see all of CLT!

Edited by Piedmont767
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, tozmervo said:

After 2 years in my current desk/cube/office on ST400 11th floor, I just realized I can see Carowinds --- well, Fury anyway....which is only semi-remarkable because my sight-line is squeezed on the right by the Power Tower and the left by the Pink thing in SouthEnd.  Google Maps says it's just a skosh under 10 miles.

15 hours ago, Piedmont767 said:

Oh, no. Sorry, I should have been clearer- I stole that photo from another site! Haha, I was curious. I'm a flight attendant! I get to peer out of the window and see all of CLT!

I've always said pilots and flight attendants have the best jobs because it's sunny every day where they work!

29 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Hey, off topic: How do I delete a "Quote" box in my response? Ever since the update, if I insert a quote box, I can't get rid of it unless I Submit that reply and start fresh.

This works for me:  Click to the right of "SgtCampsalot said:" (this selects the entire quotebox), then press the delete key on your keyboard.

Edit: Also, after you click, don't move your pointer/mouse.  If you move it, then when you hit delete it will probably just start deleting text from the quote.

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Piedmont767 said:

Out of curiosity, as a state are we currently offering incentives to any companies? Are there any potential major relocations? Which major companies considering moving from there current HQ?

The state finally has an incentives program in place. But it's quite paltry compared to incentives other states like Washington, South Carolina, Alabama and Texas. And it saves its largest packages for an automobile plant in a distressed county-whenever that may happen (don't hold your breath.)

In the past, the most we've ever cobbled together was $260 million to lure Dell. But that wasn't all paid out and in fact, some was repaid because Dell shut down the facility when PC sales took a nosedive.

Washington recently pulled together incentives worth about $2 billion to keep Boeing in Puget Sound.

The problem is that North Carolina came to the incentives game grudgingly and late. So we're not as good at it as other states with much more experience and a track record of success. This is one of the reasons Volvo went to South Carolina rather than North Carolina. And frequently we don't offer nearly enough. This latest incentives package is capped at around $50 million per deal, I think (someone check me on that if you have better info.)

If we were offering incentives to anyone currently, few if any of us would know about it. Often, the company in question is not even known to state officials. 

The only major relocation I've heard discussed recently is BMW from New Jersey to here, because of our direct air service to Munich and proximity to the plant in the Greenville-Spartanburg area. But that seems to have gone quiet.

I think our big corporate hq relo for the decade was Sealed Air and that's a good one. They're building their own campus which is also good because it implies a greater commitment. But regional relos like DFA and what I call in-fill relos like US Bank and Wells Fargo's trading floor are good, too. They're not splashy and they don't build new towers but they create lots of high-paying jobs.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 1

Trader Joe at Metropolitan. Restroom is mixed gender, and in use. I wait. Woman of 70-ish departs and I enter and turn to lock door. I turn back and see that toilet seat is fully up. First thought is that she entered to use for some other reason than toilet. Then the recent LGBT flap made me (laughingly) conclude that she is only recently she. My thinking is bent by current events. (This is as off topic as any comment could be)

26 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Trader Joe at Metropolitan. Restroom is mixed gender, and in use. I wait. Woman of 70-ish departs and I enter and turn to lock door. I turn back and see that toilet seat is fully up. First thought is that she entered to use for some other reason than toilet. Then the recent LGBT flap made me (laughingly) conclude that she is only recently she. My thinking is bent by current events. (This is as off topic as any comment could be)

Keep in mind, women often do not sit on the seat in public bathrooms. So it could be she just hovered. But then again I don't see a 70ish woman squatting... So maybe you are right. 

Guest StuckInASuburb

Sorry if this is a stupid question for this thread but this seems the most relevant. In the "Charlotte Observer Relocation and Site Development" thread, people are talking about "SPEC" buildings. Is this an abbreviation of "speculation" or an acronym relating to building code? (like LEED)

1 minute ago, StuckInASuburb said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question for this thread but this seems the most relevant. In the "Charlotte Observer Relocation and Site Development" thread, people are talking about "SPEC" buildings. Is this an abbreviation of "speculation" or an acronym relating to building code? (like LEED)

just speculative. Second Definition.

Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 12.03.32 PM.png

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I just met THE MOST INTENSE guy who works at BAC. Says the price of gold is going up, so these are 2005 bubble levels. "DO NOT buy a house; Sell a house and rent" was the crux of the conversation. His wife rolled her eyes.

BofA really nailed it with the last bubble. I'll get my house listed tomorrow!

• Like 2