Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

Charlotte stories is asking for "critical feedback" on reddit... have at 'em!

NINJA Edit: Our "feedback" got them to add post dates on their main page....the little victories I guess. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Charlotte/comments/4pi6ev/charlotte_stories_would_like_to_ask_for_honest/

VRvbOtr.png?1

Edited by Crown

Yes, please on adding murals around the city.  I've been lamenting the lack of street art in Charlotte for years, especially when we have so many blank (and so many beige) walls and parking decks in Uptown and South End.  And I love the idea of involving students and hosting competitions for local artists to design murals in prominent places.  In Bogota (which has an amazing street art scene), property owners are actively encouraging local street artists to paint murals on their buildings to prevent tagging and vandalism and attract visitors to transitional neighborhoods, something that has also transformed Wynwood in Miami and parts of the former East Berlin.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article85608867.html

49 minutes ago, cltcane said:

Yes, please on adding murals around the city.  I've been lamenting the lack of street art in Charlotte for years, especially when we have so many blank (and so many beige) walls and parking decks in Uptown and South End.  And I love the idea of involving students and hosting competitions for local artists to design murals in prominent places.  In Bogota (which has an amazing street art scene), property owners are actively encouraging local street artists to paint murals on their buildings to prevent tagging and vandalism and attract visitors to transitional neighborhoods, something that has also transformed Wynwood in Miami and parts of the former East Berlin.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article85608867.html

I pitched a great project to Arts and Science Council to paint the nook, had an artist lined up, they said they won't fund walls being painted, because it wears out too fast, and they have to pay for the upkeep.

9 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I pitched a great project to Arts and Science Council to paint the nook, had an artist lined up, they said they won't fund walls being painted, because it wears out too fast, and they have to pay for the upkeep.

That's funny. NoDa has a ton of murals that have been there for a decade. The wear is real, but it just adds character.

Looks can be deceiving, many of the murals in NoDa are regularly kept-up, many have a lacquer layer that protects them from tagging and pollution. Periodically the fire department in NoDa will go to the Matheson overpass and hose off the murals there, which become very dark and dingy in just a few months.

On 3/17/2016 at 2:24 PM, grodney said:

Anybody have the story on this sign?  It's on Stonewall, across the street from the old Duke building.

20160317_110247_zpsghy6klnq.jpg

Hey this sign made it into CharlotteFive.  They did a lot of calling and found nothing.  I actually LOVE that the first thing he did was follow the arrow to see if he could find it.

http://www.charlottefive.com/tear-in-the-space-time-continuum-sign/

Streetview shows it in March 2016, which is also when I took the photo above.  It's not in Streetview from May 2014.

• Like 1

I really like that sign... but MAN.  Can you ever tell that Charlotte has a serious "cool factor" deficiency.  One quirky sign gets a bloody article in a paper.  We're like the kid in high school that's part of the D&D club trying to wedge himself into an Abercrombie and Fitch t-shirt.

^ If you go to the Cameron Yards website linked to in the article, there is a reference to a "tear in the space/time continuum" on the 2013 Upcoming Events for July 7.  Honestly, just checking out that website, especially reading the history tab, is quite entertaining.  They have a map at the bottom of the page which takes you to the Cameron Wood Swim & Racquet Club.  Maybe the "tear" is located there?

This picture was found on their website and the historic site signage looks to be the same.

july10-2011-032-150x150.jpg

Edited by abttown
Added pic
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, abttown said:

^ If you go to the Cameron Yards website linked to in the article, there is a reference to a "tear in the space/time continuum" on the 2013 Upcoming Events for July 7.  Honestly, just checking out that website, especially reading the history tab, is quite entertaining.  They have a map at the bottom of the page which takes you to the Cameron Wood Swim & Racquet Club.  Maybe the "tear" is located there?

WHAT THE HELL AM I READING?!

• Like 1

I know a guy that used to live at Cameron Woods, and an avatar he has used on message boards appears on the Cameron Yards site....so I've e-mailed him to see if he knows anything about any of it.  (He actually had a frisbee golf course in the common area of Cameron Woods that he called Cameron Yard.)  I'm pretty sure the Tear in the Space/Time Continuum isn't a real thing, but I have no idea if Cameron Yards is a real historic ballpark or not.  Ha hahahahaha.

Edit: Oh, also, cameronyards.com is registered to Bill Wright who lives in Cameron Woods....and that's not the guy I know that lived there.

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Haha no I know, I just wish I understood the obvious in-jokes that adorn that entire website. SO ridiculous, lol.

Oh yes, the creator of that website is no doubt an interesting fellow.  I spent a little too much of my lunch break perusing that site :tw_grimace:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

^ I walked with my daughter yesterday through Southend gathering various Pokemon. It was hilarious to see hordes of people doing the same. Lots placed in the old Food Truck Friday lot that will become inaccessible when DFA building gets started.

Anyone know how they identifed the locations for the Pokemon? My best guess is from user photos posted to google maps, but have not yet identified a close correspondence.