Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

On 2/13/2016 at 10:40 AM, ah59396 said:

Quick off topic gripe about having to live in a city held hostage by American Airlines...

I like traveling abroad, and I like direct flights, which pretty much means outside of London or Munich, I'm flying AA.

EVERYTIME I fly AA, my flight gets changed, or the type of airplane switches, or heck this time they just flat out cancelled my flight from Venice to Philadelphia.  Decided after I'd booked it that it was seasonal, but apparently not important enough to even tell me.  I had to call in after checking my own status online.  Reps literally are so confused as to where my flight went, claim I got an email about it being cancelled.  Go back and dig through my spam folder, only email is from AA notifying me that my flight from CLT to Rome won't have WIFI as previously advertised when I actually paid for the flight.

That is AA in a nutshell.

You book a brand spanking new airbus, they put you on an old Boeing after you've paid for it.

You want WIFI?  They take it off your flight after you've paid for it.

You want a flight from Venice to Philadelphia departing at noon?  They take that away from you, DONT TELL YOU, force you to call in yourself to get it fixed, then put you on a 7am flight out of Venice instead with a longer layover in London.  And then of course, tell you they will email you confirmation...and don't.

Sorry for the griping.  Just can't believe I have to continually put up with this airline.  Used to fly Delta and connect through Atlanta.  Think I'm going to start biting the bullet and doing that again.  Never once burned me.  I just can't believe they would cancel my flight and not tell me...or have a plan even in place for me, haha.  Customer service 101.

EDIT: For what it's worth, the rep on the phone was very nice and helpful and apologetic.  But even she was like "why would they do this to you?".  You know it's bad when company representative is even on your side.

I used to be a huge proponent of USAir/AA and anti-Delta for a long time because of all the times they lost my bags and cancelled flights. Now, it's the complete opposite experience for me. I've had to fly on Delta several times in the last year, sometimes with a layover in Atlanta, because their fares were much lower than American. I'm just now looking at booking a trip to New York for a wedding later this year. On American, it's $267 for standard coach. On Delta it's $289 with Comfort Plus where you get complimentary adult beverages, extra legroom, etc. If you add a similar benefit on American with Choice Plus it's over $200 extra. Why wouldn't I pay the extra $22 to use Delta with those extras? American having their hub here is great and all, but they really need to up the ante if they wan to compete with Delta (I remember never thinking that was necessary). I have several local friends that travel regularly for business (I don't as much as I used to) and they've actually switched their loyalty to Delta because it's become a better experience. 

Edited by HopHead

3 hours ago, HopHead said:

I used to be a huge proponent of USAir/AA and anti-Delta for a long time because of all the times they lost my bags and cancelled flights. Now, it's the complete opposite experience for me. I've had to fly on Delta several times in the last year, sometimes with a layover in Atlanta, because their fares were much lower than American. I'm just now looking at booking a trip to New York for a wedding later this year. On American, it's $267 for standard coach. On Delta it's $289 with Comfort Plus where you get complimentary adult beverages, extra legroom, etc. If you add a similar benefit on American with Choice Plus it's over $200 extra. Why wouldn't I pay the extra $22 to use Delta with those extras? American having their hub here is great and all, but they really need to up the ante if they wan to compete with Delta (I remember never thinking that was necessary). I have several local friends that travel regularly for business (I don't as much as I used to) and they've actually switched their loyalty to Delta because it's become a better experience. 

Of the 3 surviving legacy carriers, Delta has long been the most stable with the least amount of disruption as it acquired other carriers and went through bankruptcy.

So it's no surprise that their pricing and service is the best. 

United has a wonderful franchise but the resignation of Doug (who's the ugly girl now, huh?) Smisek and the disastrous merger with Continental has left both passengers and employees disgruntled.

American has just completed (well, there's Day 2 stuff) its merger with US Airways and so pricing and services have nowhere to go but better. But if not, fly Delta. The legacy carriers do compete with each other. The idea that they are in collusion seems pretty far-fetched to me.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 1

I could probably live with the cancellation on it's own, I get things happen and change.  Or if it was at least an industry standard to provided crappy customer service, but then you fly Southwest and you're like "oh okay, airlines can provide stellar service".  But at the very least, if they're going to cancel my flight...TELL ME.  And have a plan for me.  The fact that I'm expected to call in to find out, then sit on the phone for an hour as they search for options for me like I'm inconveniencing them just floored me.

I honestly got the feeling that I was bothering them, and they couldn't believe I actually still wanted to get on another flight after cancelling mine.  it took my beotching on twitter like a complete a-hole before anything finally got done.  which i am generally not fond of.  Oh well, Delta and Southwest from now on.  Prices be damned.  I hope AA can get their crap together.

edit:  sorry if there on any AA employees on here.  not meaning to be offensive.  but it is what it is.

Edited by ah59396

On 2/14/2016 at 1:56 AM, Piedmont767 said:

The Daily Press up in NoDa is moving to a permanent location this Friday!! They are no longer going to be a pop up inside The Evening Muse. i love their drinks, I find them better than any other coffee shop in CLT. They also use a lot of local companies products such as Joe's Donuts and Salts of the Earth! I'm really excited!

Where are they moving? Just checked their FB page and didn't see any mention. 

I hadn't heard of this one before....a billion dollar research city with 0 residents --- modeled after Rock Hill.  Sorry if it's already been linked here and I missed it.

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2016-02-12/this-company-is-building-an-empty-cityon-purpose

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Center,_New_Mexico

http://www.cite-city.com/

1 hour ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Has anyone seen all the new homes on Heflin St in Grier Heights?  What do people think of them? A year ago I never would have thought that street could feel that nice. I know GH's reputation. I don't like that it's next to Eastover/Meyers Park, but it's relatively close to PM. Thoughts?

I see it has PM bleeding over into Grier Heights, which is okay with me. I see the northern area of GH gentrifying since property values are so low in that area. I'm also curious to know what sort of impact the sale of the social services plot will have on the neighborhood. I'm also hoping that we will see redevelopment along Monroe Road, from the CSX bridge to Wendover. 

On February 18, 2016 at 10:11 AM, SgtCampsalot said:

Has anyone seen all the new homes on Heflin St in Grier Heights?  What do people think of them? A year ago I never would have thought that street could feel that nice. I know GH's reputation. I don't like that it's next to Eastover/Meyers Park, but it's relatively close to PM. Thoughts?

I think it's Myers Park, not Meyers Park (harrumphed the curmudgeonly native.)

Why would you not want to be next to Eastover or Myers Park? Because Plaza Midwood is hip?  And Eastover and Myers Park, despite wealth, are totally uncool?

The houses on Heflin look perfectly nice. They're actually closest to the southern edge of Elizabeth.  Some are reserved at non-market rates.  Call it gentrification lite, I guess.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Silicon Dogwoods said:

I've been wondering this myself. 

I'll  ping my City Council person. 

Thanks, that's wonderful. I think it'd be a great opportunity for the Q.C. to make an appealing debut on the national stage, and Charlotte merits the attention.  

3 hours ago, Silicon Dogwoods said:

I think it's Myers Park, not Meyers Park (harrumphed the curmudgeonly native.)

Why would you not want to be next to Eastover or Myers Park? Because Plaza Midwood is hip?  And Eastover and Myers Park, despite wealth, are totally uncool?

The houses on Heflin look perfectly nice. They're actually closest to the southern edge of Elizabeth.  Some are reserved at non-market rates.  Call it gentrification lite, I guess

I hear you.

Yeah it's right next to Elizabeth. I was just describing my preferences as having grown up here, myself. I grew up in Matthews, so the trek up 7th St was my backyard. I never liked Myers Park once I got over the beautiful architecture and landscaping of thr homes. But again that's just my own preferences (and maybe a little classism, but I try not to be crazy about it).

I actually toured these new homes, they were built by JCB "Saucy Burbank?" and are absolutely gorgeous inside and out. You're right: while a few were kept as market rate, most of them are being sold as affordable housing, with a stipulation that you must then live there for 10-15 years if you want to re-sell it for a profit. The Grier Heights advocacy groups decided they needed to go all-in on a full block of great houses to get new people to move in, as opposed to their original strategy of doing a smattering of houses around the neighborhood. 

They are definitely trying to do the "gentrification with a conscience" thing, to quote an interview. The neighborhood has so much genuine history as a community that they care the most about people coming in and staying, rather than just investors. Given its location, it will be interesting to see how it changes, though it's also interesting, when you look at a map of it, how disconnected it truly is from the neighborhoods around it. I'd love to see a greenway connection to something. It's its own island right now, wedged between 7th and Randolph.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

The reaction from the passing of the LGBT Ordinance is horrible. The City Council meeting was hard to watch last night, especially with a man dressing up a King and mocking trans-people. 

EDIT- If McCrory signs a bill to ban or block our LGBT Ordinance, I hope it gets taken to the Supreme Court. 

Edited by Piedmont767

12 minutes ago, Piedmont767 said:

The reaction from the passing of the LGBT Ordinance is horrible. The City Council meeting was hard to watch last night, especially with a man dressing up a King and mocking trans-people. 

EDIT- If McCrory signs a bill to ban or block our LGBT Ordinance, I hope it gets taken to the Supreme Court. 

Well that would help our liberal credentials. City of Charlotte VS. North Carolina for LGBT rights.

We also have corporate titans on our side. They have Franklin Graham

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, QCxpat said:

Thanks, that's wonderful. I think it'd be a great opportunity for the Q.C. to make an appealing debut on the national stage, and Charlotte merits the attention.  

I sent an email to Kenny Smith, Julie Eiselt, Al Austin, James Mitchell, Ed Driggs and LaWana Mayfield.

Kenny and Julie responded, said they thought a sestercentennial celebration would be a great idea and they'd start discussing it on council.

We'll see. The 100th anniversary of Myers Park in 2011 passed by virtually unnoticed.

The 1968 bicentennial was a big deal around here (I was in elementary school.)

• Like 2