Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2024 at 3:47 PM, Hushpuppy321 said:

Didn’t know where else to post this - I guess OKC will have the Tallest Tower….  Anyone think this will actually come to fruition?

IMG_1159.jpeg

Haha I actually had a dream last night another developer proposed a similarly tall tower here in Charlotte and I was trying really hard to eyeball how tall it was going to be like I did for Queensbridge a few weeks back! 😂

Edited by DJ8hep
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/20/2024 at 3:47 PM, Hushpuppy321 said:

Didn’t know where else to post this - I guess OKC will have the Tallest Tower….  Anyone think this will actually come to fruition?

IMG_1159.jpeg

Reminds of the planned Signature Tower in Nashville about 15-20 years ago. No chance of it happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Part of a Crane collapsed in downtown Fort Lauderdale and I saw this building under construction in January.  They were stepping up the crane and one worker died.

1 dead after part of crane falls on Fort Lauderdale bridge (sun-sentinel.com)

my photos from January.    Construction especially high-rise can be dangerous work.  

20240113_120953.jpg

20240113_121018.jpg

Edited by KJHburg
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

https://www.ahdatalytics.com/dashboards/ytd-murder-comparison/

Year to date murder by official records. National trend is down. Charlotte is up. Check Boston: two (2) to date this year. Even Chicago has a solid decline. 

Crime numbers and rates are notorious for validity due to reporting issues and varying definitions. The difference between charged offenses and convicted offenses is large. Many offenses go unreported. Rates for one type of crime do not imply the same rate for other crimes. Notwithstanding, murder is the most reliable of these statistics as it cannot be misallocated. The person is dead or the person is alive. The definition is clearly understood by everyone.

• Like 1

Dunno the topic or location to title this so putting it here. I drove past the (long ago) former Harrelson Ford property on South Boulevard south of Arrowwood and Tri-Pointe has the land graded and utilities installed and foundations and forms should come soon. Miserable weather at speed and usual crowded 4 lane traffic and no chance for a photo, not that it would illuminate anyone. This is the plan from Mecklenburg County via "Ledger":

423517d8-291c-4fcb-bcc6-c8f15cd57e30_1600x1166.thumb.webp.6a5ad497b3486a9675d335153c58f797.webp

I went to Tri-Pointe website and no mention of this project, though others are on their site. Active heavy rail plus light rail and a dangerous SOuth Blvd make this a site of some curiosity for the sales staff. Sign at street front said for sale units. Not for this person.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Something about driving and sustainability and cars being bad or somesuch. Keep this up and the cost of living in Charlotte and Atlanta will converge on NYC, and Chicago…

Whip Inflation Now! Ebikes and transit for everyone! 

IMG_1509.jpeg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, kermit said:

Something about driving and sustainability and cars being bad or somesuch.

IMG_1509.jpeg

Car repair kept me in business for many years.  Dealerships now have lock on it. Same with laptops.  Hence the pending lawsuits. "Right to repair" lawsuits need to go forward. That will keep help keep repair costs down and keep us from having to tow our vehicles a 100 miles if a warning light pops up.  Insurance is linked to that, btw.

• Like 4

On 4/9/2024 at 3:28 PM, videtur quam contuor said:

Dunno the topic or location to title this so putting it here. I drove past the (long ago) former Harrelson Ford property on South Boulevard south of Arrowwood and Tri-Pointe has the land graded and utilities installed and foundations and forms should come soon. Miserable weather at speed and usual crowded 4 lane traffic and no chance for a photo, not that it would illuminate anyone. This is the plan from Mecklenburg County via "Ledger"

I went to Tri-Pointe website and no mention of this project, though others are on their site. Active heavy rail plus light rail and a dangerous SOuth Blvd make this a site of some curiosity for the sales staff. Sign at street front said for sale units. Not for this person.

I agree a strange location but it will sell.  TriPointe built 400-500K townhomes right up against I-77.  

In other random news in NC from the Outer Banks NC's very first Wawa is opening.  More coming all east of I-95 in NC.  

The Outer Banks Voice - Wawa announces May 16 grand opening in KDH for its first North Carolina store

• Like 1