Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

Not surprised. There's an entire forum dedicated to wackos like him. Likely the the reason he got that many votes in the first place.

Oh, and Roberts is the new mayor. I think Peacock should pursue a seat somewhere in the NCGA. Not a bad guy by any means.

I don't know if he lives in Rucho's district, but I would love to see him defeat Rucho in a primary.  Unfortunately for Peacock, Charlotte is just too much of a Democratic stronghold to elect a Republican mayor.  However, Peacock is exactly the type of politician we need in Raleigh because his brand of Republicanism is one of nuance and restraint.  It is 180 degrees opposite of the brand of Republicanism that currently dominates the statehouse, and would be a most welcome change.

• Like 4

I am more than a little disturbed that Larry Bumgarner can get nearly 22,000 votes for school board. He was only 5,000 votes away from actually getting elected.

It's been a night for electoral unease in some quarters:

• Houston's equal rights ordinance-HERO-was defeated 2-to-1, I've read. Could be that the outgoing mayor overplayed her hand but still...not good.
  • Kentucky elected a very far-right Republican as governor. Here, recent trouble with KYNECT, Kentucky's ACA exchange, may have played a part.

But still...coupled with Midge Spellings and Ben Carson, it's not feeling so progressive these days.

Carson is tied with Hillary Clinton in a just-released national poll. Ben.Carson.

I don't know if he lives in Rucho's district, but I would love to see him defeat Rucho in a primary.  Unfortunately for Peacock, Charlotte is just too much of a Democratic stronghold to elect a Republican mayor.  However, Peacock is exactly the type of politician we need in Raleigh because his brand of Republicanism is one of nuance and restraint.  It is 180 degrees opposite of the brand of Republicanism that currently dominates the statehouse, and would be a most welcome change.

He's a quite a nice guy, I've met him; he did come across as a bit arrogant. He would make a good memeber of the NCGA, better than what we have, but not for Charlotte as mayor. Ultimately it came down to transportation for me, and Roberts got my vote. 

Edited by Piedmont767
Why is it in italics?!

He's a quite a nice guy, I've met him; he did come across as a bit arrogant. He would make a good memeber of the NCGA, better than what we have, but not for Charlotte as mayor. Ultimately it came down to transportation for me, and Roberts got my vote. 

His view on the streetcar is why he also did not receive my vote.  Neither did Roberts however.  I threw my hat in the ring last second as a write-in :)

His view on the streetcar is why he also did not receive my vote.  Neither did Roberts however.  I threw my hat in the ring last second as a write-in :)

Good for you! Roberts got my vote, becuase she was more down to earth and friendly (great reason to vote for her ;) ), her views on streetcar, her previous record of getting us jobs in the recession and her view on education, as she was a teacher. Edwin Peacock's campaign was "I'm going to attack Roberts on her view of the streetcar and I want to fight crime becuase I'm superman!" 

Ugh! Swain losing huntersville is extremely disappointing! 

I I hate to when people vote on issues that are irrelevant. A mayor is not going to change the toll roads. Swain was a big proponent of the red line and mass transit and she was head of the league of cities.

i like her

Ugh! Swain losing huntersville is extremely disappointing! 

I I hate to when people vote on issues that are irrelevant. A mayor is not going to change the toll roads. Swain was a big proponent of the red line and mass transit and she was head of the league of cities.

They want to vote out people who support the I-77 project go ahead, but vote out the right people. Unfortunately those people are running for re-election next year, not this year.

OK, RDF...Ready to spend more money? How about a framed laser cut map of Charlotte streets? This is pretty awesome! I want one! Glad to see that Charlotte is making it on the list of cities for small-scale projects like this and the rocks glasses and pint glasses I mentioned above.

https://www.thegrommet.com/art-decor/cut-maps-laser-cut-maps

• Like 1

Merry Christmas to Charlotte and all of North Carolina.  Now if we could only get Phil Berger, Tom Apodaca, and Harry Brown to follow suit, North Carolina would be able to start clawing its way out of the Dark Ages.

Don't forget NC Rep. Mike Hager, R-Rutherfordton. He's very anti-renewable energy.

Also Sen. Chad Barefoot, R- Wake Forest. He's Tami Fitzgerald's son-in-law. The source of much bs this past session. Redrawing Wake County's county commissioner districts, the anti-civil rights bill that would have stripped North Carolina's cities of their civil rights ordinances, others.

Also Sen. Trudy Wade, R-Guilford. She signed onto the so-called magistrate's bill. She also carried a bill to re-draw Greensboro's city council districts. Greensboro then sued the state alleging a 14th Amendment violation. Thank you, Greensboro! 

Odd duck Rep. Jacqueline Shaffer, R- Ballantyne retired, thank (yes) God. 

There's lots of lowlife scum still left on Jones Street. Harry Brown, though, is the lowest of them all.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 1

Just want to mention one more thing about Jennifer Roberts. She seems very, very passionate about being mayor of Charlotte. She plans on treating the job as a full time job and is fortunate her husband has a good enough job to allow her to focus on being mayor. She plans on having a meeting with McCrory before she takes office so he can give her some insight and she plans on meeting with mayors from around the region and such.

I would love for Roberts and McCrory to be on as amicable terms as possible.

Totally minute considering everything that's happened, but this is a Charlotte message board none the less.

did Wells Fargo light up in French colors like every other city on the planet last night?  Or did it stay mint for that banquet?

I don't know but can the BoA Building be lit up in different colors? But of course RIP to everyone in Paris. 

Edited by Piedmont767