Charlotte Bobcats Arena

utcltjay

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, so i went out and tested the night feature on my camera. I'm not a huge photog... so some of these turned out fairly pisspoor... but you get the idea of how it looks at night.

Arena

40730207-L.jpg

40730232-L.jpg

40730201-L.jpg

40730241-L.jpg

40730248-L.jpg

40730253-L.jpg

40730270-L.jpg

40730281-L.jpg

40730285-L.jpg

40730524-L.jpg

40730539-L.jpg

40730580-L-1.jpg

looking down fifth street at the new jumbotron

40730454-L.jpg

40730479-L.jpg

40730502-L.jpg

and here are some others from my night out with the cam:

Driving up Tryon

40730346-L.jpg

40730354-L.jpg

40730366-L.jpg

40730386-L.jpg

40730414-L.jpg

40730434-L.jpg

Hearst

40730645-L.jpg

40730469-L-1.jpg

Looking back up at the towers

40730512-L.jpg

Imaginon

40730610-L.jpg

40730619-L.jpg

40730627-L.jpg

40730636-L-1.jpg

40730667-L.jpg

Nice pics dubone - It's a beautiful arena.

I know this is slightly random, but has anyone heard of the Ambassadors program? Here is a news article from News14:

http://www.news14charlotte.com/content/loc...=105054&SecID=2

Do you think this is good or bad for the center city? Of course it will offer people help getting around, but I don't think it helps with the idea that the center city is becoming more "disneyfied." I don't necessarily agree with that statement, but it would be nice to see the city function "normally" even when events are going on (which is why I am excited about the new Third Ward Park - hopefully plenty of festivals will end up there instead of on the street. I also can't wait for the day that most of the sidewalks downtown are wide enough to handle crowds so they don't have to close any streets). Center city isn't very big and is pretty easy to navigate - even if your new to it (unless you have a terrible sense of direction) - it's just kind of sad that to get some people downtown they have to make it feel like a "theme park." I think people will get used to it, and eventually they will get rid of this program, but I'm just curious to know what other people think...

News 14 ran a story this evening saying that the first tenants to sign letters of intent for the Trade St. retail are: Dunkin Donuts, Baskin-Robbins, Matt's Chicago Dogs, & Redd's Carolina BBQ.

I for one am very excited at these tenants.....sure, they're not glamorous, but they are high-volume, and especially the DD/BR is likely to get pedestrians on Trade St. in the morning and on weekends.

Nice night photography Dubone. Did you use a tripod?

you really need to because of the slow shutter speed... but no. some i rested the camera on the top of my car or a wall... but most of those are just me trying to hold very very still... which is why most of them are pretty fuzzed.

the blue lighting really makes a huge difference for how cool it looks at night. i'm sure when they are done with the spool-pillars that they will be lit in a more interesting way (and according to the renderings will have straight-up beams of light... but that could just have been artistic license).

also, i should have take a photo of the transit center. it was pretty sleepy, but there were a few police cars parked and patrolling as usual to keep things good.

News 14 ran a story this evening saying that the first tenants to sign letters of intent for the Trade St. retail are: Dunkin Donuts, Baskin-Robbins, Matt's Chicago Dogs, & Redd's Carolina BBQ.

I am glad to see Redd's get a spot. His BBQ is great. I also got a chance to go after work. I was really excited about the Jumbotron on 5th. This thing is sweet. I am really excited to see this in combination with the epicenter signage going up. We will have a "mini" time square effect. As my girlfriend and I rode by last night she said one thing that I thought was huge.

"It is finally starting to look like a city !"

I agree. We have needed this in Charlotte desperately to pump life and synergy onto the streets of Uptown.

:shades:

A2

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...na/12948072.htm

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...na/12948075.htm

Lowdown on the arena and Q&A with Bob Johnson.

I'm not sure where they get the number that only 7000 spaces will be needed for a sellout... but that seems to imply that there will be NO trouble with parking, as there are 13000 spaces nearby, plus there will be the trolley, the gold rush, and the light rail after next year. Granted, there may also be other events, and some events may overlap with the workday, but for the most part, i think downtown was easily absorb the traffic. People will probably have a much better experience that way than at the tyvola or independence colliseums.

Yep. Also hitting the Stone concert on Friday and the U2 concert in December. I think I'll have my fill of the new arena until Iverson comes into town in February.

Somehow I got roped into going to the Bon Jovi concert in January.

A2

:huh:

I was speaking with someone who has worked on the construction for the new arena since day one and he was giving me some information that I didn't know anything about until now. Apparently Bob Johnson at one point has threatened to leave Charlotte already because he stated he couldn't make enough money because of the arena being so small. Apparently they had altered the design at some point to add 4,000 temporary seats, but they ended up being bolted down for permanent seating.

Has anyone else heard of this? My source is fairly reliable so I don't dispute the claim.

holy cow... if that is true, that is outrageous.

it may also be an urban-legend type thing that floats around employees of an organization about the boss's motives. He might have just made the decision to add the seats for profit motives... and then employees in the organization added the shinn-esque motives of "add them or i'll leave" to johnson as the rumors went around.

the bobcats will pay a very very stiff fine if they leave the city within the next 25 years, so i'd be very surprised if there is already talk of leaving the city, especially with the growth potential.

Besides the fine it would be hard for the Bobcats to leave the city because of local ownership, a whole lot of people have their hands in that honey pot. Although Bob Johnson is the majority owner, I would assume there would have to be approval from everyone who owns the team to move, before a move could happen.

Archived