Charlotte Bobcats Arena

utcltjay

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Article in today's Observer about the wind screen going up on the ITC parking deck. Artist Ned Kahn said he was inspired by the silos off Graham St. Apparently it will be lit up blue at night to give it a "ghostly" appearence. If you have the todays physical paper, there is a nice large rendering on the front page of the Arts section.

39336773-M.jpg

39317727-M-1.jpg

39318039-M.jpg

39315280-M.jpg

they are starting to put in the small art sections into the facade:

39336761-M.jpg

39336742-M.jpg

39336729-M.jpg

39336714-M.jpg

39336704-M.jpg

the plaza with the spindle art being installed

39336665-M.jpg

39336684-M.jpg

the caldwell facade that covers the staging area. it appears that that icon will be part of the arena branding, which i think is very very cool. i'm glad it wasn't just the standard charlotte crowns.

39322927-M.jpg

the trolley passing by overhead

39326688-M.jpg

Should we be worried that the Bobcats have yet to sell the naming rights to the new arena? I would have imagined that at least by now a company would have gobbled up the right to stamp their name all over the place.

No, it's not going to matter if the naming rights is sold or not. Sure, that's more money to be made. If it does gets sold, don't know who will get it. The city or Bobcats. My guess, the Bobcats.

i think the columns will grow on people. i personally like them... but i agree that just like all large public art, it is easy to come up with a playful analogy.

but those are just the kinds of quirky things that help make cities more interesting. they are slightly mockable, but after a while, they will become just a part of the trade street landscape.

I also am glad that everything is so colorful around there now. These columns, the art in the other columns, the ads and other arena signs, and all of the colors in and around imaginon really liven up first ward already, even before all the pedestrians show up.

i think the columns will grow on people. i personally like them... but i agree that just like all large public art, it is easy to come up with a playful analogy.

but those are just the kinds of quirky things that help make cities more interesting. they are slightly mockable, but after a while, they will become just a part of the trade street landscape.

I also am glad that everything is so colorful around there now. These columns, the art in the other columns, the ads and other arena signs, and all of the colors in and around imaginon really liven up first ward already, even before all the pedestrians show up.

They are currently placing the outdoor video monitor on the 5th street side - should really liven up this side and likewise for the monitor on plaza side

Personally I don't understand all of the hype over these blow in the wind metal things. I personally never knew the one at Gateway was actually public art I always thought it was an ugly, utilitarian chain link fence that happened to blow in the wind. Granted it was always better than actually looking at the cars in the Gateway Deck but not much better IMO. This one does promise to be a better than that one but I'm still not doing any back flips. Hopefully the cobalt blue lighting will make the thing look cool at night.

:rofl:

You know, I also noticed the Presbyterian Hospital Training Center... I just hope people don't mistake reading the fine print and think that IT IS Presby...

Agreed... with the size and styling of that sign (along with the absence of arena signage from the angle that approaches the training center) it looks like a hospital building. First time I saw it, I thought the hospital built a satellite first aid clinic (for fans who get hit with bottles?) or a physical therapy office or something. I'm assuming though that Presby is just the naming sponsor of the basketball training facility....

Its the flip side of good brand recognition -- people may see the logo and think its a place they can go for help in an emergency. :cry:

Archived