Charlotte Bobcats Arena

utcltjay

that may be true that some people resent nba players because of their race, but i doubt that is a predominant factor, especially when compared to NFL, which has a similar racial makeup to the NBA.

... but i don't think most people resent that sport stars make millions, as i think most people realize the talent and hard work involved, and that sports careers only last a few years and must make an income for their whole lives.

If anything, i think people would accept that they paid stars more if only there would demonstrate more sportsmanship and humility. Somehow, (if we're comparing NFL to NBA) NFL stars are more humble than nba stars (and you're right, it might just be the sheer number on the team and their lower visibility that creates that perception).

What i think the Bobcats are doing right, however, is that the stars that they have hired are extremely skilled, but are also well behaved, well mannered, and humble people. if they continue with that kind of culture in the next few years, and earn a winning record, ticket sales will follow.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arena parking story from News14.

http://www.news14charlotte.com/content/loc...=103467&SecID=2

I don't think spaces will be such a problem as the story suggests. The problem will be mass confusion and congestion for weeknight games.

First Ward opted for the game day parking plan the city provides for free. It's the same as Third Ward has for Panther games. The city will post "no parking" signs for significant events. Last I heard there was no penalty for illegal game day parking, so they could be in for a mess initially. First Ward will need resident parking soon anyway. I believe they will switch to it fairly quickly, assuming the 'Cats sell tix.

Interesting. Is it just me, or do all of the tops of the columns look like giant spools of different colored thread?

Bingo! These sculptures are supposed to play off of Charlotte's textile history, much like the building's architecture resembles a warehouse (the brick masonry at least). It should come with a "Made in China" tag or something to blend the present and future with the past.

Ahhhh....I see now. Well, I'm sure I'm not the only one who made that observation, but I don't think the majority of people will connect that with Charlotte's textile history. But at least the public art (inside and out) reflects different aspects of the city/region.

i walked by the 5th street side tonight and the sidewalk is open now and all the lights were on... With the lights on in the training/practice court, it really makes the area seem alive even though no one was around yet. between that, imaginon (which also had lights on where you can see all the colors and stuff inside), and courtside looking almost finished... wow, that is now a real part of downtown. if only the porkchops were going to be something other than parking....

Archived