Charlotte Bobcats Arena

utcltjay

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went by the arena this afternoon and was absolutely psyched. The mood in the air, to see the t-shirts blend in with the suits made me feel more and more like I was in a true urban environment. The restaraunts along College Street were packed and you could feel the excitement in the air. My thoughts wandered to what this place would look like once Epicentre and the Ritz Carlton were up and running. I truly began to feel like a small dream was coming true to be able to live in a city with 24 hour buzz and activity.

i walked by the arena tonight at 10pm on the way back from the y. first of all, it is the safest i have ever felt walking around downtown... there is much better lighting east of the trolley tracks, and there were cops at every intersection.

it was lively, but not crowded in the area.

here is the observer story on the police presence

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/12966691.htm

WCNC reported that the traffic situation with the arena went better than planned

I would assume so - because there is more than one way out of Downtown. I know some opponents were saying that traffic would be terrible, but did they not remember the situation on Tyvola everytime there was an event? There was only one way in, and one way out... I'm glad everything went well.

I would assume so - because there is more than one way out of Downtown. I know some opponents were saying that traffic would be terrible, but did they not remember the situation on Tyvola everytime there was an event? There was only one way in, and one way out... I'm glad everything went well.

yeah... people just think of their 2 lane street downtown...versus a 5 or 6 lane tyvola. but forget that there are about 15-20 alternatives which are 2 or 3 lanes... or like a 40-50 lane tyvola.

I also took a ride uptown to check out the vibe and to see the lights at the arena. It was great, there were people everywhere walking around, and this was while the concert was going on so its not from that. What I loved seeing were street vendors, hot dog stands and other food stands all over the place. Even as far over as church st behind Discovery place. We did not see this type of pedestrian activity in the begining of the summer.

Cant wait until we have Bobcats games at least once a week. Even if only a 1/4 of those people stay in uptown to have a drink or grab a bite to eat, thats still thousands more then we would've had.

i just walked through the open house for the arena. it was bumping. there were thousands there.

there were tons of kids oohing and ahhing at the bright lights and jumbotrons (the LED ribbons around the arena are really bright and cool!). i heard so many little kids practically giddy saying "this place is so awesome".

there were also quite a few teenage boys dragging around their grandparents, all excited and telling them about the ins and outs of the place :). the grandparents seemed proud to participate in with the kids.

i also saw a conversation with a cute old couple, maybe in their 70s talking to a bobcat player. they were discussing tarheels vs terrapins, as the bobcat apparently used to play for maryland :). it was fun and good natured.

there was also the typical suburban scene with cranky moms beotching at their hubbies or kids for walking too slow or going the wrong way or not having the right information. but i guess that is just life in america.

overall, it was very fun to see the place with people in it. most everyone there was really excited, although i did hear a few conversations "bob ablaugh taxpayers bob ablaugh".

the place just oozes class, though. much of the art is really respectable and thought provoking and visually cool. there are so many little features that are unique, even things like handrails have interesting twists to them. there are herman miller chairs on the suite levels and granite countertops in the concession areas and so on.

the line to get tours of the practice courts and lockerrooms was extremely long, so i didn't get to do that.

I posted a short runthrough and about 26 photos on my flikr account...

http://www.bobcatsfans.com/2005/10/inside-bobcats-arena.php - overview (very brief)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pantherinside...s/1190970/show/ - slideshow

Could see a concession menu in one of the shots... $6.75 for a draft beer? Well, I guess its pretty much like that anywhere these days. :shok:

Place looks pretty amazing. Great pics!

and still pictures just don't do justice to the excitement and movement of all the different tvs, jumbotrons and led-ribbons. it is truly amazing, and has got to be a great experience for game and concert patrons.

we are an "experience culture" and that will almost certainly fill the seats as word of mouth travels.

yes. there were quite a few people making some purchases. i wonder how many of these are single ticket sales versus season or partial season ticket sales.

i thought about buying... but somehow i think i'm only in the market for the worst seats in the house :).

The plaza and entrance areas look great. Some of the signage for concession stands aren't chic enough, though.

What's going on with the upper level behind the basket in this picture? It looks like there are only 7 rows of seats then a big wall. Is that right? That coupled with the 8ft wall at the top of the lower level look like an acoustic nightmare are for for concerts erts.

It also looks like more than 50% of the seats are in the upper level. Boo.

I love octagons for basketball, but hockey in this arena will force the first several rows behind the goals to be pushed back. This was a big problem in Phoenix where upper level seats behind the goal actually had no site line to the near goal. Maybe the parabolic curve of the lower level will prevent this problem.

54958401_56a340b171.jpg

Archived