Charlotte Bobcats Arena

utcltjay

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are expensive. They'd easily be sold out, but I think people are sending them a bit of a message based on their displeasure with the pricing. I know people who've 7 figure incomes (yes I mean 7) that bought their tickets for the first year but are debating based on the price whether it is worth paying $600 for tickets to a game on a Tuesday night.

Indeed. You would think that millionares would pay the price just so they could say they went to the first game in the Arena, no matter the cost. As I said earlier, it doesn't bode well for the NBA here. I really don't think it was all about George Shinn, when the Hornet's attendence was so low.

They might very well sell out by the night of the game, but we are getting very close to what is supposed to be the big event all the hoopla was about with building the thing for the Bobcats in the first place.

I agree there seems to be a lack of interest of the Bobcats here in Charlotte, certainly not the buzz of when the Hornets first came into town. Right now the NFL and the Panthers are the big thing here, so the NBA is not the only pro-game in town like before.

The New Orleans Hornets playing in their season in Oklahoma City reminds me of Charlotte when they first got their team, I mean OK City is welcoming the team with open arms (and selling lots of tickets too) all to prove to the NBA and everybody else that they are big time now.

by the way, i hope it isn't just bugs in their website. i typed in 2 seats, and it said that the quantity wasn't available, and then i type 3 and it was... and than went back and did 2 and it showed me my 3 seats still... and then i cancelled the 3 seats and did 2 seats and it worked...

yikes.

that is almost as bad as US Airways website which gets a fatal error half the time right before you pay for your tickets.

Nice article. There are links to other highlights.

Lots of history there. Too bad it will follow too many other Charlotte landmarks and will be bulldozed to the ground. Wonder if the downtown crowd will run off the "dead heads" that might want to come to future concerts in the new place, that is if they can afford it. I guess there is always Greensboro.

I feel like a post whore in this thread tonight, but so much is going on with the new Arena.

I went to the Checker's Open House tonight and saw the setup for hockey. It looks really nice. They do have the rink pushed to one side on the arena, but it still works.

I talked to a rep there and he said they will have parts of the Upper Level open for a total of about 7,000 seats. He also said there are about 600 seats in the boxes, so a sellout crowd would be about 7,600.

He also said that if they are succusful they can open up more sections of the upper level for a maximum capacity of about 12,000 for hockey games.

Well....depends on what you consider the site is good for.

It is illegal to operate the arena so it has to be demolished.

The way the city rezoned it, fair value for the land is probably about $16M-$18M, but the purchaser will have to pay for the arena to be demolished.

Indeed. You would think that millionares would pay the price just so they could say they went to the first game in the Arena, no matter the cost. As I said earlier, it doesn't bode well for the NBA here. I really don't think it was all about George Shinn, when the Hornet's attendence was so low.

They might very well sell out by the night of the game, but we are getting very close to what is supposed to be the big event all the hoopla was about with building the thing for the Bobcats in the first place.

I was a Hornets season ticketholder, and I'm now a Bobcats season ticketholder.

Here are my 2-cents. Yes, you are correct that the attendance decline was not 100% about Shinn, though that had a lot to do with it. I'd say it was a mixture of things, but I'd say it was MAINLY the fact that Shinn had a revolving door for players, along with the Panthers coming to down & changing the sports economics in CLT.

I think it's quite premature to declare the arena & Bobcats a doomed venture. Let's see what happens when the Bobcats add talent & start becoming competitive. I will guarantee you that attendance will pick up quite nicely.

That said, the Bobcats organization needs to realize that this is NOT New York, and adjust their marketing accordingly.

What I'd really like to see more than anything is for the Eeyores of this town to at least stop openly campaigning for the Bobcats to be a failure.

What I'd really like to see more than anything is for the Eeyores of this town to at least stop openly campaigning for the Bobcats to be a failure.

ditto on that one. i think the naysayers can write down their predictions on a piece of paper and stick it in the basket on the mantle to do the "i told you so" stuff 10 years from now... but then do what they can to make the most out of the fact that that they are here, and given their strict contract...are here to stay.

the fiscal conservatives who are against publicly funded arenas should theoretically be the most in support of them selling tickets well.

the piece of paper on my mantle basket says they're going to be successful ultimately, and will be a net positive for the city and well worth the spending of tax money paid for by hotel residents. (and a little bit of already purchased city land).

ditto on that one. i think the naysayers can write down their predictions on a piece of paper and stick it in the basket on the mantle to do the "i told you so" stuff 10 years from now... but then do what they can to make the most out of the fact that that they are here, and given their strict contract...are here to stay.

Ah, the naysayers. They know the cost of everything & the value of nothing. They're just upset because they cannot get a single candidate elected. And worst of all, their hatred for McCrory hasn't made a dent in his resounding re-elections.

Bobcats aside, the arena is a piece of the urban growth puzzle. In that respect, it is already a success. What, eight or so major high-rise projects announced since the arena construction began?

The last event in the Charlotte Coliseum was held today, the Women in Faith conderence. Attendence was 24,000. Organizers were lamenting the fact that the city could no longer host an event this large because to put it in the Bob Cats arena would mean that attendence would have to be 6,000 less. While they are selling tickets for the event to be held in the new arena next year, they left open the possibility of moving the event out of Charlotte to a bigger venue.

that is a valid criticism, though. 4000 lower capacity is pretty tough when events are looking for sheer numbers. however, for the events we lose for that reason there will likely be others gained because of quality of the seats and the experience, as well as much more convenience to hotels and other 'things to do'.

These are the stated capacities of the new arena:

• Seating - NBA/WNBA basketball 18,500

• Seating - college basketball 20,200

• Seating - hockey 14,100

• Seating - end stage concert 16,700

In comparison, the Charlotte Coliseum has a general seating for non Basketball events of more than 24,000 because it was not purpose built for basketball. it was built to compete against the Greensboro coliseum for concerts and other events. This is where the Women in Faith organizers get their 6000 difference. (and they are hoping to grow the event, not shrink it)

Now that the Charlotte Coliseum is closed, bragging rights for the largest Arena in NC reverts back to Greensboro.

Archived