Charlotte Bobcats Arena

utcltjay

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given they can't even sell the seats to their games, I suspect the demand for naming rights is not that high right now.

I like the poles with the giant LifeSavers on them.

IMO these poles look like giant hands holding a torch with the rings being fingers? Well, that is if you imagine you are looking at the "hand" from the front. Not sure? Maybe I am just too tired right now?

Yes, I do believe that all profits from the naming rights go to the Bobcats if I remember correctly? The only thing that the city receives is the rent/fees from the street level retail shops that will eventually open around the arena. I think that is what I remember reading awhile back?

that is correct. read back through this thread. the naming rights go to the bobcats, and the bobcats are stuck here whether they are successful or not... so from a civic perspective it doesn't really matter if they are sold.

i think "Charlotte Bobcats Arena" will stay for a little while, as the bobcats need the advertising. :)

they are holding an open house for the arena on the 21, 22, and 23.

by the way, it hasn't been stressed enough how amazing it is that the arena was built on time and on budget (although i haven't heard to many specifics on the budget part... maybe they even came in under budget).

there are some shortcomings to the design, but overall it really looks good up close in person, despite the design taking place under close scrutiny by city council and under extreme deadlines.

i hope this is a forecast of other large city projects (like light rail) being on schedule and on budget because of political pressure.

I also cannot stress enough how excited I am about the number of new visitors that will be coming uptown to see events at the arena. When I first ventured uptown, I was a little apprehensive about where to park, etc. and didn't know there were actually things I could do with my family here. As these new visitors come and the experience demysticizes there misconceptions, I believe a lot of them will come back for more visits. It would be interesting to take a survey of the local businesses to see if there patronage increases on a consistent basis and not just during events once the arena opens. My bet is that it will, and this project will turn out to be a good investment after all. I guess time will tell.

by the way, it hasn't been stressed enough how amazing it is that the arena was built on time and on budget (although i haven't heard to many specifics on the budget part... maybe they even came in under budget).

Haha, because I don't believe there was ever a published budget for the arena considering all the juggling of money they did with various accounts to pull it off legally.

Using the construction cam, it appears that the Trade St. jumbo-tron has been mounted......can anyone confirm this?

It has atlrvr. I went by there just a second ago to check out the Epicenter site.

Finally we are getting some action in the signage dept.

A2

(now we just need the Large Platform piece that is going beside the tracks. Check it out on the their site. It is the 2nd pic down. Does anybody know when and if this will still be built?)

http://www.nba.com/bobcats/arena_render.html#

I was wondering the same thing, but i wonder if that wall board is taking the place of that cause as youll notice that is not included in the rendering.

True. Neither are those colored donuts around the light posts. I don't know what they were thinking on that. Oh well, I am just glad we finally have a place where we can add some more synergy to Uptown. Along with the Epicenter, it is going to be a real change to the streetscape in that area that was once dead.

A2

The round-pedestal jumbo-tron is the sinlge most interesting thing of the whole arena design....if it doesn't get built, I'm likely to boycott the whole East Trade Corridor........unless EpiCentre has a stock-zipper

:lol:

You are so right atlrvr. Huieon39 stated the same. I was really looking forward to that piece as well.

A2

The round-pedestal jumbo-tron is the sinlge most interesting thing of the whole arena design....if it doesn't get built, I'm likely to boycott the whole East Trade Corridor........unless EpiCentre has a stock-zipper

I agree 1000%, but.... if my walk-by this past Sunday is any indication, you may want to make a sandwich-board to wear and express your frustration. I specifically looked for any large, cylindrical brick base that would support that round screen and could find nothing, just the big stacked lifesavers nearby. There were a bunch of construction guys in that general area, so maybe that's yet to come, but surely that would have been in place by now.

I agree 1000%, but.... if my walk-by this past Sunday is any indication, you may want to make a sandwich-board to wear and express your frustration. I specifically looked for any large, cylindrical brick base that would support that round screen and could find nothing, just the big stacked lifesavers nearby. There were a bunch of construction guys in that general area, so maybe that's yet to come, but surely that would have been in place by now.

Especially with less than a couple of weeks before the official opening. I wonder if it is because of potential complications with it in proximity to the trolly and light rail lines? One would not think that though.

;)

A2

guys. i'm 99.9999% sure that pedestal is not getting built. it was one of the alternatives to having the jumbotron on the building itself... which as we can see is the way they went. and i'm almost positive i read somewhere more than a year ago that it wasn't going to happen.

There is a bit of a space between the rail bridge and the retaining wall where that round jumbotron would have gone... but that is space reserved for widening the bridge for light rail.

if you look at the light rail station designs for that, which is more recent than the arena design, they show an elevator building on the west side of the bridge, and it is part of the cats budget, rather than the arena budget or nba budget... and no jumbotron.

i agree with you guys, though, i really like that a lot.

but it ain't going to happen.

guys. i'm 99.9999% sure that pedestal is not getting built. it was one of the alternatives to having the jumbotron on the building itself... which as we can see is the way they went. and i'm almost positive i read somewhere more than a year ago that it wasn't going to happen.

There is a bit of a space between the rail bridge and the retaining wall where that round jumbotron would have gone... but that is space reserved for widening the bridge for light rail.

if you look at the light rail station designs for that, which is more recent than the arena design, they show an elevator building on the west side of the bridge, and it is part of the cats budget, rather than the arena budget or nba budget... and no jumbotron.

i agree with you guys, though, i really like that a lot.

but it ain't going to happen.

Damn that pisses me off !

:angry:

A2

any new pictures of the parking deck art that BoA is doing right next to the arena?

There was a 1/2 page rendering in the Sunday Observer Art section, if you can find an old copy. It looked Ok, I guess... kinda bland in the picture, but apparently, it's going to be uplit in cobalt blue at night. That should be sweet. Anything's better than what it is now, so I shouldn't complain.

they are starting to put the little petals or whatever you want to call them on the parking deck.

they are also paving all the streets in the area... traffic was a mess today, but the area will look really nice when they are done.

They also put the top on those colorful columns.

they are starting to put the little petals or whatever you want to call them on the parking deck.

they are also paving all the streets in the area... traffic was a mess today, but the area will look really nice when they are done.

They also put the top on those colorful columns.

It is lit up pretty cool at night D. Looks like the front of the arena (facing away from the CBD) is purple.

A2

B)

Archived