Charlotte Bobcats Arena

utcltjay

Mc(whoever that is) is wrong, it aint plastic, its metal... in 4 different colors no less. (they are close) so that it doesnt appear as a large expanse of the same shade.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(miesian corners = MC) said it was a polymer, but i might have misheard him. what kind of metal is it? aluminum?

personally, i like the metal, the brick and the greenish glass. i think it will also age well because of the higher quality materials and more traditional design.

but i'm definitely in agreement with those that say it is design-by-committee and watered down in a way that prevents it from being iconic or artistic.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:o 

is it snowing in florida?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nah. I didn't say I changed my mind on the fact that I think it is wasted public money. But I do appreciate the building for its design. They did try to get it to fit in better with the city than I have seen of most downtown arenas. Its not monumental in the legendary sense, which is a good thing.

*Gasp* says the guy who Metro probably hates for comments on drug use in pro sports, but anyways, I like the buliding, yes I'm an insomniac, just got back from the beach, thats the one thing I didn't like about charlotte, no beach, but anyways. Building is great, looking forward to get in the inside and seeing that entry way, I'm very excited about the three stories of entry way that is coming our way, I like the METAL too, and the glass and the brick, looks great, not like Madison square garden great, or Soldier Field Great or even the old bulls place (can't remember the name) they all fit so well (I have always been in love with arenas that blend it completely, like NCStates old basketball arena, can't remember the name, it blended in looked like a class rooom bulidng, but only held 10,000 people and was cramped as hell but god the atmosphere., but definately better than the staples center, or american airlines in Miami (and dallas), and Phillips Arena in Atlanta, the only thing about pHillips that blends in with atlanta is the word ATLANTA, that is done accross the front, fun stuff. Rambling... sorry I'm a hair tipsy and just ran out of cigarettes, and I think one fellow Poster knows what i'm referring to. This board is slowly sucking my life out, I find myself pissed off if nobody is posting, should I get a doctor to observe me for a day or 2 or what, I'm afraid.

When I attended the arena design charettes in 2002 and 2003, we were told the cladding on the main entry-way and all around the nautilus sections would be a product called "color bond". It is a aluminum-based product that is painted to look like steel and has a backing of a foam-core like product. Indeed, aluminum is metal, but the product manufactured is more durable (doesn't change color over time and is self-cleaning). Other sections of the building use a product (can't remember the name) that was used on the Independence Center and Marriott hotel uptown. It also is a composite material painted the color of steel.

These are not negatives. Both products are well-tested and used throughout the world in commercial applications.

My issues with the building are design-related. As originally detailed, the arena would have been white pre-cast concrete, glass and colorbond. Street-level facades were split-block conrete and brick (but not red brick). I have no aversion to brick, it is a great building material and an attractive one. The problem is, when red brick is used in such voluminous amounts, it tends to be more than a little over-bearing. The modern elements on the upper levels of the building that were to be precast made sense then, now they look like the wall of the Sears Distribution Center in Greensboro. More than just a little monolithic.

The buildings only redeming feature (IMO) is the only design element kept from the origianl plan: the Trade Street entrance. I should add here that the nice folks at Ellerbe Beckett who are the architects of record DID NOT WANT TO CHANGE THE DESIGN. Time was of the essence and it had to be finalized so construction could begin. They had to do what they were told. It was the mayor and certain members of city council who pushed for the rediculous faux arches and red brick. A decent building then got botched.

Sorry, but a structure of that size needed to make a statement not just at street level, but also from the Brookshire and John Belk freeways. What we have at the street is Disneyesqe, from afar, a large brick box with no character.

BTW, I like the arena in JAX. It was designed at the outset as a brick structure. It's different when it becomes an afterthought.

*Gasp* says the guy who Metro probably hates for comments on drug use in pro sports, but anyways, ........  Rambling... sorry I'm a hair tipsy and just ran out of cigarettes, and I think one fellow Poster knows what i'm referring to. This board is slowly sucking my life out, I find myself pissed off if nobody is posting, should I get a doctor to observe me for a day or 2 or what, I'm afraid.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There you go again. Mistaking me for someone who gives a damn. :whistling:

i know we disagree on this point. but telling me that PattyMcC forced them to switch from precast concrete to brick makes me want to give him a hug. The last thing we needed on East Trade was another cold-glacier-looking monolith to replace the one they were tearing down cattycorner.

The original design looked like an alien or some kind of sea-shell or starwars helmet.... and frankly the section that faced down brevard looked like, um, how should i put this,...deedee's hole?

post-670-1127223354_thumb.jpg

post-670-1127223354_thumb.jpg

Somewhat relevant to this thread, the Minnesota Vikings just announced plans for a $675 million retractable roof stadium to replace the "outdated" 23-year old Metrodome. $280 million of the $675 million is coming from public money, via an increase of a county-wide sales tax and another $115 from a public bond issue.

Only 14 stadiums of the 140 built in the US since the end of WWII have not used any public money.

^ If you think that's bad, CableVision (the owner of Madison Sq. Garden) offered $600M to the NYC MTC just to buy the AIR RIGHTS to the land where the Jets wanted to build their new stadium.....for those of you unfamiliar with the story, Cablevision attempted to outbid the Jets to keep a new sporting facility from being built in Manhattan.

Watched them raise the jumbotron today over the court. That thing is friggin huge. The model of the skyline around the top looks really sweet though, very detailed. Although not quite to scale between the different buildings (BofA corporate is only a little taller then Hurst).

I think someone else mentioned this a couple pages back, but it looks small inside. Hard to believe there are that many seats. Everything seems squeazed into the center, but that will make for a great experience when at the games.

it is definitely a nice and modern arena... but they are going to have an uphill battle with the fiscal conservatives to become fans. hottubs for players and bars for bankers... yikes. i really don't mind the city paying for the concrete, steel and land for this thing, and even the public art... but it is a little tenuous that they (we) had to fund all the nice fixtures inside. Granted, i am very glad they are nice fixtures... nothing worse than an expensive public building with crappy interior for that reason... but surely the nba could have paid for some of that, and innoculated themselves from the negative PR.

Too much money, too much attitude.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funny. People love to harp on the NBA about the money the players make. Last time I checked, NFL players make a heck of a lot of money, too. As do NASCAR drivers. And baseball players.

There is something deeper here. There must be a reason people will overlook the "attitude" and riches of NFL players, but complain about NBA players.

Funny.  People love to harp on the NBA about the money the players make.  Last time I checked, NFL players make a heck of a lot of money, too.  As do NASCAR drivers.  And baseball players.

There is something deeper here.  There must be a reason people will overlook the "attitude" and riches of NFL players, but complain about NBA players.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looking at it from your perspective, here are some of my opinions why:

1. It's easier to remember the starting 5 on a basketball team as opposed to the starting 22 on a football team.

2. there's a big difference between Basketball contracts/salaries compared to football contracts/salaries. Basketball contracts are guaranteed and football contracts are not. Average NBA salary as of 2003 is $4.9 million. Average NFL salary is $1.3 million.

2. there's a big difference between Basketball contracts/salaries compared to football contracts/salaries. Basketball contracts are guaranteed and football contracts are not. Average NBA salary as of 2003 is $4.9 million. Average NFL salary is $1.3 million.

There are also over 50 people on an NFL roster, but just 12 on an NBA roster. It's not an entirely fair comparison.

My own opinion here is that NFL players wear helmets and are "faceless," so to speak. Whereas NBA players are out in the open, in only a jersey & shorts. And let's be frank, many white dudes just don't like that these black kids in cornrows make millions of dollars. Just my 2 cents.

Archived