Charlotte Bobcats Arena

utcltjay

I think one more interesting event that happened in the Tyvola CLT Coliseum was the filming of the movie "Eddie". It was portrayed as Madison Square Garden in the movie.

Of course, the Heels' big wins there in March will leave a great lasting impression of the building on us :)

As for the Bobcats' success, I'm in Raleigh and hoping they do well. The arena is nice and will make a neat neighborhood on that end of downtown. Prices are high, but you get what you pay for. After having been pampered by going to things in the RBC Center, I was amazed at how basic and uncomfortable Tyvola arena was. The new arena will be GREAT for Charlotte!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it was built to compete against the Greensboro coliseum for concerts and other events.

Seems to me that a whole lot of concerts went to Greensboro or Greenville/Spartanburg and bypassed Charlotte. Yet already we've got U2, Elton John, Rolling Stones, and more already slated for the new arena.

Bigger isn't necessarily better. I've been in both buildings. There is no comparison.

I was living here when the decision was made to build the Charlotte Coliseum in the mid-80s. That was the stated reason the city urged the voters to pass a bond referendum to pay for it. The city had lost many concerts to Greensboro and the new Charlotte Coliseum was built to take away that advantage. Those facts are not in dispute. It remains to be seen if this does not happen again.

I was living here when the decision was made to build the Charlotte Coliseum in the mid-80s. That was the stated reason the city urged the voters to pass a bond referendum to pay for it. The city had lost many concerts to Greensboro and the new Charlotte Coliseum was built to take away that advantage. Those facts are not in dispute. It remains to be seen if this does not happen again.

Having Bob Johnson pulling for Charlotte certainly doesn't hurt when it comes to the music industry...

I don't think that a slightly smaller arena will deter big-time concerts away from Charlotte. This is Charlotte people...not Fayetteville or Raleigh. Sometimes, the concerts make 2-3 stops in North Carolina (i.e. Destiny's Child made stops in Raleigh & Charlotte...although they were in outdoor facilities). With the gigs this new arena has already booked, I don't see nothing but bigger and better venues coming into the city. In most cases, people from Greensboro, Grnvl/Sprtbrg, Raleigh, etc. have to trek to Charlotte to catch a majority of big-name shows/events.

I know people who are new to charlotte from bigger cities like Boston. They have gone to a few events at the Tyvola arena, and were completely disappointed with how dark and dingy and uncomfortable it was. They said, after visiting the the new arena, that they will definitely go to more events.

For-profit events are interested in profits and value. An average-sized arena that has a state-of-the-art sound system, light system, sight lines, and location provides that value and gets far more repeat business. Once-a-year huge events are less important than filling the more moderately sized arena often, potentially every other day.

Let the temperence union go to Greenboro, or else convince them to book Memorial Stadium or BofA Stadium. I highly doubt that concerts will bypass the state-of-the-art arena in the largest market in the state. Especially not when the people marketing the arena have massive massive connections in the entertainment industry.

Think about the entertainment world 20 years ago: no internet, no MP3s, no CDs, no satellite radio, no surround sound, no HDTV, not to mention the actual acts.

Think about charlotte 20 years ago: almost half the people, almost half the household income, far less significant business community.

They just don't compare. Good for Charlotte for beating Greensboro on the only factor that really mattered for arenas in the mid-80s, size. Now, however, there is much more money and people around here. With the quality of entertainment in every aspect of our lives, now, this city demands higher quality for the arena.

Living in Raleigh myself, it's just to far to drive to Charlotte for a concert. It takes about 3 hours to drive to Charlotte. Even longer sometimes during rush hour. I have caught many concerts through out the years at the Greensboro col. If they had been in Charlotte I never would have gone. Greensboro is the more central location. So until they find a way to make the trip from Raleigh to Charlotte quicker, I hope the concerts stay in Greensboro.

(we all know that Charlotte rules though) :thumbsup:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/13067526.htm

This is quite an odd article, saying that they expect a sell out at the opening Bobcats game. They aren't quite sold out, but they only have some single-seats available.

It is definitely a good thing that sales have picked up now that people have seen the arena. I know that I didn't have the imagination to see how cool it would be to watch an event or game at the arena until I actually went inside. I would guess that others were similarly unsure what to expect and were unwilling to pay the higher prices. That is, until they saw it with their own eyes.

I know people who are new to charlotte from bigger cities like Boston. They have gone to a few events at the Tyvola arena, and were completely disappointed with how dark and dingy and uncomfortable it was. They said, after visiting the the new arena, that they will definitely go to more events.

For-profit events are interested in profits and value. An average-sized arena that has a state-of-the-art sound system, light system, sight lines, and location provides that value and gets far more repeat business. Once-a-year huge events are less important than filling the more moderately sized arena often, potentially every other day.

Let the temperence union go to Greenboro, or else convince them to book Memorial Stadium or BofA Stadium. I highly doubt that concerts will bypass the state-of-the-art arena in the largest market in the state. Especially not when the people marketing the arena have massive massive connections in the entertainment industry.

Think about the entertainment world 20 years ago: no internet, no MP3s, no CDs, no satellite radio, no surround sound, no HDTV, not to mention the actual acts.

Think about charlotte 20 years ago: almost half the people, almost half the household income, far less significant business community.

They just don't compare. Good for Charlotte for beating Greensboro on the only factor that really mattered for arenas in the mid-80s, size. Now, however, there is much more money and people around here. With the quality of entertainment in every aspect of our lives, now, this city demands higher quality for the arena.

Well-said dubone. I have to agree w/u...you made some very valid points. At this point in the city's lifespan, Charlotte shouldn't/doesn't have to worry about competing w/Greensboro for such matters. Charlotte is the largest market in both Carolinas and will continue to attract the national/international venues on that basis alone.

The higher quality venue, along with classical supply and demand, means that the concerts can get a higher ticket price, and likely be more profitable for the same event.

Concerts now stop at multiple cities in the Carolinas, so it isn't that the slight capacity differences will mean the Charlotte is skipped. That might have been true a decade or two ago, but not likely anymore.

Okay. I just went to the first Bobcats game in the new arena. I had not bought tickets earlier, because I thought I was going to be out of town. But when my relatives ended up coming to town, we bought tickets on the street for 4 times face value.

We had absolutely, 100%, no question about it, I'm serious about this, the worst tickets in the house. They were farthest from the aisle, highest row of the upper level, behind the basket. My relatives had never been to a basketball game since they were in high school 40 years ago. We had an absolute BLAST. We could see both the court and scoreboard well enough to enjoy it. It was really loud and fun. We bonded with our fellow nose-bleeders. We paid an a$$-load for bad pizza and hard soft-pretzels. But nothing detracted from the fun of it.

The game was awesome to watch. The Bobcats stayed in it, but just behind, the whole way. In the last few minutes, they brought it up to a tie. They almost won, but got some terrible calls. The whole place was so loud. Finally, in overtime, the Bobcats pulled out the W.

Will Ferrell, Ashanti, Nelly, and Bob Johnson were all there on the sidelines. (The announcer said "Will FerRELL' and had to correct himself. :rofl:). But the 'star' that had more the double the noise and applause was Mr. Roy Williams, coach of the Tar Heels. That place was packed out with Carolina fans, there to cheer on May and Felton, and Roy.

After the game, Bobcats stars Wallace and Knight were hanging out on the court talking to fans and signing autographs and shaking hands. They seemed like really nice guys, especially Knight, who was carrying his toddler kid around in his arms.

After the game, they had fireworks shot off the roof of the arena. There were buskers, including a brass band on Trade, playing for everyone as they watched the fireworks and talked to others nearby.

The streets were full of friendly pedestrians of all ages and demographics. Many filed out toward the bars and restaurants. Others drove away in their cars. There was no gridlock traffic, and people could get on their way very quickly. Police were out at every intersection making sure everyone was safe, and that everything went smoothly.

It was an absolutely unbelievable experience. My relatives made so many comments about how they never knew such an amazing city existed in North Carolina. They had an incredible time, and now want to come back for a future game. (Hopefully one where we actually pay face value for the tickets :). That dude made out like a bandit).

Altogether, we spent 250 bucks for four people. But with a little more planning, we could have had the same experience for 50.

And none of us regretted it.

Thanks for the update dubone,

I watched the game on UPN here in Raleigh and it was worth every minute of it! Wallace has to be the MVP of this team so far. Okie did not have that good of a game tonight...he will be fine though. May has looked good in every game so far. He just needs to calm down a little bit. He seems to try and force things every now and then...and turns the ball over. Felton is REALLY trying to force things...calm down!!!

I am really impressed by Gerald Wallace though

And Melvin Ely should get a reward for hustle...he never stops!

And of course knight is doing a great job. Once Felton settles down a bit the Bobcats are gonna have a great PG combo. With Okie and Primoz it gives us some power underneath the basket and May will only get better. I think the reason this team will hang around .500 is there depth and hustle.

This team is not bad for a second year franchise

I went to the game as well, and definetly worth it for my $10 seats on the second level. Everything that Dubone said. I also got to eat in the All you can eat buffet they had in the Club suites level. **Note: currently there is a loop hole, you can enter one of the bathrooms on the lower level which is shared with the Suites. You basically enter the bathroom through the general admission, then exit into the suites portion. Basically I just walked by like I belonged in that area, and I was not asked any questions. I even got to watch the last 2 mins before overtime at the 13th Row.

I saw the game on TV, and I could tell that the energy in the arena was really high. I'm glad this translated to a good amount of street-level activity. I plan to make it over there shortly for my first game.

One thing that Bob Johnson said rang true, at least for me. He stated that he wanted this new arena to really feel like home to the people in the area. While I do not reside in Charlotte, I am a "metro Charlottean," and when touring the arena the one thing I really got excited about was the glass walls on either side of the main entrance, one listing SC cities and the other listing NC cities. To see your little rural hometowns listed in such a great venue located in the heart of downtown in a rapidly growing city gives you a certain sense of pride. I'm sure the artwork has a similar effect for those who can identify with the historical elements portrayed in those works. The old coliseum seemed WAY more impersonal by comparison. Those little things, plus former Tarheels on the floor (one of which is a SC native), goes a long way in establishing the Bobcats in Charlotte and in the Carolinas.

It is a Monday though, and better than what the old arena was doing. Anyway I am liking what the Bobcats are doing so far game-wise we are off to a decent start for a sophmore team.

Well not compared to when the old arena opened. They had constant sellouts for years. And they also sold all of the season tickets well before the Hornets played their first game there. The Bobcats are still trying to figure out how to get Charlotteans to buy season tickets now as there are plenty for sale.

The telling tale with the new arena will be in a few months once the newness has worn off. I find it interesting that they didn't even sell out the first home game until the last day, (and I suspect there were some mercy buying by the corporations to make it look better) which when you think about it, is not a good thing.

Archived