Charlotte Bobcats Arena

utcltjay

come to think of it, i don't think it included the word charlotte on the sign on brookshire, i wrote that part wrong. (that would be a waste of money, as those signs are expensive and DUH, its in downtown charlotte, so why put that).

i'd be miffed, though, if i were following the signs, and then drive around 277 and don't see a 3B, even though that is what the first sign told me to go.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bobcats Arena sign at exit 11 going onto Brookshire from 77S is very confusing. Exit 11 splits and the left side goes to 277 downtown. Well the Bobcats arena sign is on the left side right after you exit and it has an arrow pointing up and to the left. I assume it means stay to the left on exit 11, but it looks like it's pointing away from the exit. Someone who doesn't know where he's going could see that and think he shouldn't have taken the exit.

well I only see a couple of instances where it is truely bad, marijuana possession & DUI are the leading causes of being arrested. I'm just saying most of these players on this list are not in the NBA anymore. I think its unacceptable, but not as much as you, I just wish these players were treated like normal people and punished like normal people. I know a lot about marijuana possession, I had a cop plant marijuana on my car (which the cop admitted in court), after tailing me for 7 miles, and pulling me over for "not staying in my lane"

I know that the "law" that cops can be pretty messed up. I am a 22 year old white male, who has a Savannah College of Art and Design Sticker and drives a nice car that I bought myself doing freelance advertising and graphic design, as well as painting, with leather seats, 345 hp, and a great sound system and well he looked at me said this'll be a good kid to screw over and he did.

These are Multimillionare African Americans, driving nice cars, and there is a big prescence of profiling, as much as we all do not want to believe it. My opinion may be biased because well the cops haven't been that great to be. I am in no means trying to excuse their behavior, I mean an old retired player raped his children thats not right. But Marijuana will always play a big role in the life of teenagers, and 20 year olds and on up to 30, marijuana plays a huge role in NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, always has always will,

well I only see a couple of instances where it is truely bad, marijuana possession & DUI are the leading causes of being arrested. I'm just saying most of these players on this list are not in the NBA anymore. I think its unacceptable, but not as much as you, I just wish these players were treated like normal people and punished like normal people. I know a lot about marijuana possession, I had a cop plant marijuana on my car (which the cop admitted in court), after tailing me for 7 miles, and pulling me over for "not staying in my lane"

I know that the "law" that cops can be pretty messed up. I am a 22 year old white male, who has a Savannah College of Art and Design Sticker and drives a nice car that I bought myself doing freelance advertising and graphic design, as well as painting, with leather seats, 345 hp, and a great sound system and well he looked at me said this'll be a good kid to screw over and he did.

These are Multimillionare African Americans, driving nice cars, and there is a big prescence of profiling, as much as we all do not want to believe it. My opinion may be biased because well the cops haven't been that great to be. I am in no means trying to excuse their behavior, I mean an old retired player raped his children thats not right. But Marijuana will always play a big role in the life of teenagers, and 20 year olds and on up to 30, marijuana plays a huge role in NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, always has always will,

Lets look at the NFL for a sec, Nate Newton, former Dallas Cowboy, on three different occasions, was charged for marijuana posession, and not for like a couple grams, for 213 lbs, 530 lbs, and 315 lbs, thats far worse than Keon Clark having 2 grams of marijuana, 28 grams in an ounce, 16 ounces in a pound do the math. I am far more concerned with NFL and MLB "role models" doping and doing steroids than some damn kids smoking pot.

what about the United States Congress and presidency. the last 2 presidents (4 elections) were of admitted pot smokers and the current president was arrested with a DUI.

i'm not condoning it, and i don't do either, but if kids were looking for role models and they can't even look to government officials, then why in the heck would they expect athletes to be like that? Musicians have far more legal problems than athletes. somehow the human race survives even though everyone falls short of being a good role model.

My wife teaches school and many of her students deal with crack addicted parents, or abusive fathers, or corrupt foster parents and so on. CMS even lets people be 20 year old freshmen with a consistent 0.0 gpa continue to come to school and they clearly are dealing drugs. (one guys got caught dealing drugs in the cafeteria and the punishment was 1 day of LUNCH detention). it is hardly noticeable to them that a basketball player is caught for possession when the school system implicitly condones drug sales.

what about the United States Congress and presidency.  the last 2 presidents (4 elections) were of admitted pot smokers and the current president was arrested with a DUI. 

i'm not condoning it, and i don't do either, but if kids were looking for role models and they can't even look to government officials, then why in the heck would they expect athletes to be like that? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because photos of politicians are not on boxes of cerials, on trading cards, and they are not making video games or naming shoes after them either. The decline in morals in some school kids that you describe is tragic, and it does not help the people these kids strive to emulate have just as bad morals. I would say it is part of the problem.

It is issues such as this that are turning families with parents, who do care, away from the NFL, NBA and MLB and instead towards sports such as NASCAR where you do not find it anywhere close to the same extent. (the NHL has already sundered itself as a major sport).

but their pictures are up in every school (and in many parts of the country, they are up in every classroom). what about the pictures on the money? U.S. Grant had the most corrupt administration in US history. Jefferson owned slaves. Roosevelt and Kennedy had mistresses. Jackson confiscated native american lands and shipped them to oklahoma.

I believe people are still able to hold up role models for their specific strengths or accomplishments (winning the battle of gettysburg, writing the declaration of independence, the new deal, the civil rights act, first commoner popularly elected respectively) but recognizing that they all had their demons and mistakes.

I'm sure many parents like to hide all bad stuff from their kids. but most people are raised to understand people's failings, and separating those from their accomplishments.

Excelling in a sport is very very hard work, and it is magic to watch, especially when you know first hand how hard it is. Most people, even kids, know to look beyond off the court shennanigans.

Excelling in a sport is very very hard work, and it is magic to watch, especially when you know first hand how hard it is. Most people, even kids, know to look beyond off the court shennanigans.

Good point.

I wouldn't try to force myself to watch a sport as boring as NASCAR simply to give my kids some "good sports role models." You teach them to respect sports figures for their athletic prowess, and when they get in troube off the court/field, that's a prime opportunity to teach valuable lessons about human nature, ethics, and morals--in other words, you teach your kids how to actually think critically.

Excelling in a sport is very very hard work, and it is magic to watch, especially when you know first hand how hard it is.    Most people, even kids, know to look beyond off the court shennanigans.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then what is the reason for the decline in NBA attendence, viewership on TV and it being surpassed by NASCAR?

Edit: I found this Article which would seems to answer the question.

Well, by reading this comment on The Buzz section of The Observer, I think everyone can figure out why ticket sales are lagging!...

"I will say it: A lot of good ol' boys aren't going to support the Bobcats because the team is owned by a smart, successful African American businessman. This is still the South."

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/12659195.htm

^ that may be the dumbest, most ignorant, comment I have ever read concerning stereotypes. I had season tickets to the hornets from 88-98, but chose to discontinue those tickets for several reasons.

1. The NBA was not fun to watch anymore ( I know some of you will strongly disagree, but i know that many more will argue the same point)

2. Shinn was not a class act....I felt that it was time to sever my ties with that greedy human (if you can call him one)

3. Various others....but the other two are the primary reasons

-I have chosen not to get Bobcats tickets because the NBA sucks and ticket prices are beyond reasonable. Too much Me/Myself/Mine action on the floor. Too much money, too much attitude. My actions had absolutely nothing to do with the color of the owner. Shame on anyone who would even dare to think of that. I have lived in the south all my life and for these stereotypes to still exist....just makes me sick to my stomach.

^ that may be the dumbest, most ignorant, comment I have ever read concerning stereotypes.  I had season tickets to the hornets from 88-98, but chose to discontinue those tickets for several reasons.

1.  The NBA was not fun to watch anymore ( I know some of you will strongly disagree, but i know that many more will argue the same point)

2.  Shinn was not a class act....I felt that it was time to sever my ties with that greedy human  (if you can call him one)

3.  Various others....but the other two are the primary reasons

-I have chosen not to get Bobcats tickets because the NBA sucks and ticket prices are beyond reasonable.  Too much Me/Myself/Mine action on the floor.  Too much money, too much attitude.  My actions had absolutely nothing to do with the color of the owner.  Shame on anyone who would even dare to think of that.  I have lived in the south all my life and for these stereotypes to still exist....just makes me sick to my stomach.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know - I agree - I just wanted to share it because I found it amusing considering it's 2005 and we should all be way past that BS.

Does anyone think that they will give in under pressure and lower ticket prices?

I dont know what all the fuss and commotion is about.....Do you know how lucky you are as Charlotteans to have a NBA team?(again)........Do you know what Columbia people would do to even have a minor team? We just lost our minor baseball team to Greenville because the SC government was too cheap to build a new baseball park......I think you guys should count your blessings and stop complaining.....and whoever it was that said something about Charlotte joining SC....please stop, you're too funny..... :rofl:

Archived