New Greenville developments

gs3

the sale of 2 Rutherford Street was in the Journal today. The buyer is Shane Howard. The price was 200k, which seems like a very good deal to me. There is a 15,400 commercial/warehouse type building there now. Anyone heard anything on the future plans, or know what type of developer this is?

BTW, this is at the junction of Rutherford and Buncombe/Pete Hollis.

Inquiring minds want to know!!

Hmmm. Sounds like a great location for something grand. Residential would be nice (other than the fact of the McDonald's right there). Maybe the location would lend itself to downtown's first affordable condo development...? do I have the right location in mind?

Edited by GvilleSC

Hmmm. Sounds like a great location for something grand. Residential would be nice (other than the fact of the McDonald's right there). Maybe the location would lend itself to downtown's first affordable condo development...? do I have the right location in mind?

It is actually not too far from The Lofts of Greenville, which I consider to be a quality, affordable residential development.

I just did some research from that link, there are about 10 parcels on that side of Rutherford/Buncombe. including the parcel owned by Mr. Howard between Walker and Viola Street. These 10 parcels have a total of 6 owners (including Howard).

Some of the others are:

The City of Greenville

SC DOT

One owner ( a partnership) that owns 4 parcels

One owner that owns two parcels.

One owner that just acquired it three months ago.

It would be relatively easy to merge these parcels together into one project. Perhaps that is the plan?

Cobbled together it would be several acres.

:wacko: does someone have a map. I'm thinking of the intersection where Kline building is, next to Heritage green...

This whole area, all the way back past the Missions building (old church) and beyond is perfect for a lerge scale Pendleton west or McBee type project. This would be a great area to try some true affordable midrise apt/condo buildings, with some light retail. As i have said before, the Cline co. needs to consolodate all their building to one parcel, and use the money they make from the sales to construct a new BETTER looking building.

I noticed that back on the 10th when I was walking along the trail between RiverPlace and Linky Stone Park. The base struck me as rather odd at the time. I thought perhaps the landscaping will fill in up to where the base starts when all is said and done, but in this photo of yours, it appears that they are chipping the base away? :unsure:

My guess is that it will be wrapped in stone and possibly used as a planter or fountain as well.

Now that makes sense - this goes along with what I had originally been thinking about the landscaping. If they stacked stone on the outside of the base similar to what's done elsewhere along RiverPlace and in Falls Park, that would make perfect sense. Come to think of it, that's probably what they were doing in the photo rather than chipping stone away. :lol:

I heard on the radio that there are plans for a new downtown post office to replace the current one on W Washington. To my knowledge I haven't read this on UP, but I can't remember everything :) So, has anyone else heard anything about this?

I've not seen anything on UP or in the news about this, myself, that I can recall. This is needed, I believe. I hope it results in some more projects getting off of the ground downtown.

I heard on the radio that there are plans for a new downtown post office to replace the current one on W Washington. To my knowledge I haven't read this on UP, but I can't remember everything :) So, has anyone else heard anything about this?

Nice scoop on the post office. :thumbsup: This is news to me. Hopefully the new facility will combine all of the USPS locations downtown into one space. Opening room for development in the various locations. I vote to get it out of the West Washington location and replace that with affordable housing to turn that section of downtown around. This maybe a first implementation in West Washington Street revitilization efforts (Master Plan). A Pendleton West type project could be nice. The Hampton-Pinckney(?) residents deserve a quality project. They've been living in those nice historic homes with grunge at their backdoor for a very long time.

Did the news you heard happen to say where the new post office will be? Couldn't you imagine a new main post office being part of a larger development on North Main between Academy and and Stone, complete with a large parking garage for both public parking and mail truck parking, and a nice new post office surrounded by mixed-use buildings? Maybe I've had too much caffeine today. :unsure: