New Greenville developments

gs3

Did anybody see the pic that RT posted in the Greenville, SC photo thread that showed the start of the BOFA renovations: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...view=getnewpost :thumbsup:

There's not much to show - just a lot of orange and white barricades and a dumpster full of debris (the dumpster isn't even in the photo).

Article about the Woodlands at Furman retirement community. Developers expect to break ground this summer.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....NEWS01/70124003

I drive by there nearly daily. They've been working on the site for quite some time. I guess clearing the property of trees doesn't count as breaking ground, eh? :ph34r:

I have a quick question that one of you may be able to answer. It may have been referenced elsewhere...

I was driving into Greenville on 385. At the crest of the hill between Haywood and Pleasantburg I am seeing a white triangular shape in the distance, dead-ahead. It appears to be a good 2 miles away. The shape reminded me of part of the Liberty Bridge supports, but it is not in downtown.

Is anyone familiar with what this is?

I may be wrong, but I believe it is part of Metromont's plant on Poinsett Highway. There is a similar tower with the diagonal conveyer belt at their White Horse Road plant.

I drive up and down Poinsett Hwy a lot and never knew Metromont had a plant there. Where? I used to live behind the massive one on White Horse. The only other ones I know of in the area is one on Anderson Road near Powdersville, One on Washington Ave and on on I-85 near Spartanburg. Oh yeah I also know a big place south of Fountain Inn too.

It may not be the one we see, but there is a Metromont plant just off of Poinsett Highway, near the railroad tracks. The official name is Metromont Paris Mountain.

Oh, Ok I think I know the place. It's one of those places that sort of blend into the surroundings. The main thing that pops into my mind close to their is the fuel oil company. I don't see how you could see the place on Poinsett Hwy from I-385 however but they are some hills on 385 that let's you see things you normally would not see.

I personally have always been fascinated by the "Paris Mountain illusion" where it looks tiny or large depending on where you stand. For instance it can look very big if you are standing at the entrance to Publix on Poinsett Hwy but if you across the road going up the ramp it looks like it tiny little hill and even stranger Paris Mountain look downright huge from the Travelers Rest YMCA even though you are further away. It guess it's similiar to how the full moon can look huge near the horizon but tiny at the zenith.

Bowater has already had massive layoffs, pretty much outsourcing most their IT department. Everyone that was there, myself included was laid off. This occurred over the latter part of 2006.

That is very sad. :cry: I hope everything is going well for you now. I know someone who used to work there as well. They had moved down from Tennessee for the job, but probably will be moving back now.