First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

• 4 weeks later...

5 minutes ago, RANYC said:

It appears Bokhari has worked out an arrangement to host the 150 vendors evicted from the Eastland Mall site on 4th ward parking lots between 6th & 9th streets, Brevard & Caldwell, this Saturday, 9am-2pm.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article263441708.html  

While I know it's only this weekend while the city sorts out a permanent solution, I like the idea of an open-air market right in the heart of the city.  Will bring some bustle to city center, especially the emptiness in this part, and showcases the ethnic and international diversity Charlotte now possesses as it finds itself increasingly on a world stage.  Can't get more big city than a district of street-side commerce.  

I never went to Eastland Mall to patronize these vendors, but does anyone know what the experience is usually like?  Is it just produce and meat, or are merchants selling hand-made wares?

I definitely applaud Bokhari getting them a spot so quickly, although I do think it's a little disingenuous of him to be like "look, we Republicans solved it!" when it's just for one Saturday. Better than nothing though. It's indefensible that the city took these vendors' market away.

Edited by Madison Parkitect
  • Like 3

It appears Bokhari has worked out an arrangement to host the 150 vendors evicted from the Eastland Mall site on 4th ward parking lots between 6th & 9th streets, Brevard & Caldwell, this Saturday, 9am-2pm.
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article263441708.html  
While I know it's only this weekend while the city sorts out a permanent solution, I like the idea of an open-air market right in the heart of the city.  Will bring some bustle to city center, especially the emptiness in this part, and showcases the ethnic and international diversity Charlotte now possesses as it finds itself increasingly on a world stage.  Can't get more big city than a district of street-side commerce.  
I never went to Eastland Mall to patronize these vendors, but does anyone know what the experience is usually like?  Is it just produce and meat, or are merchants selling hand-made wares?

It’s Generally Hispanic in culture, though I’ve only gone only a hand full of times. There’s much more than just meat and produce… I don’t remember seeing much of that to be honest but I don’t think it’s unlikely to be there. They had food trucks I remember that. There are hand-made wares. Between Eastway Dr down Central Ave to Albermarle Rd there’s a large Hispanic/Latin American presence. “Little Latin America”?

I definitely applaud Bokhari getting them a spot so quickly, although I do think it's a little disingenuous of him to be like "look, we Republicans solved it!" when it's just for one Saturday. Better than nothing though. It's indefensible that the city took these vendors' market away.

Considering the Hispanic audience and the article that state who attended…seems like a ploy to get votes onto the city council/mayor… (not to get political lol).

Well, I certainly wouldn't accuse a certain council member and his or her slate of candidates of doing something as politically craven as holding photo ops and press conferences about things like, say, bus driver safety or the UDO or this flea market and using people as props without proposing any actual solutions as a way to gain exposure and name recognition before an election. I'd never say something like that.

Yikes…
  • Thanks 1

You have to live Clt!

https://www.charlotteobserver.com

Luxury apartments planned for uptown will include affordable units, officials say BY CHARLOTTE KRAMON UPDATED JULY 18, 2022 6:00 PM

A 353-unit luxury apartment complex in uptown Charlotte will include 106 units for residents below the city’s median income when it opens in 2024, nonprofit real estate company Inlivian said Monday. The mixed-income residential community at 8th and North Tryon streets will be the first of its kind in North Carolina, Inlivian said. Census data show the median income in Charlotte is $65,359….

Preliminary work is underway on the site of the vacant Hall House, formerly Barringer Hotel, and construction is scheduled to begin in the early fall, Inlivian said. The building will feature 1940s-era art deco architecture, and amenities will include a spa pool, co-working cafe, rooftop terrace, dog park, and sports courts. Inside, there will be one-, two- and three-bedroom units, in addition to studio apartments. The affordable units will be evenly dispersed. “Every Charlotte resident deserves a place to call home that brings them pride and sets them up for success,” Mecklenburg County Commissioner Mark Jerrell said in an Inlivian news release. “(Inlivian) is opening doors that will provide more access to many of the city’s best amenities, which for too long have been available to high-income individuals only.”

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/development/article263580848.html#storylink=cpy

image.jpeg.3b918893a06ba51d7c84d9cd8f4b1e60.jpeg

image.jpeg.dfdcea3944d092dd7dba3330fd392b55.jpeg

Edited by SydneycartonII
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Does anyone know if this will be an Implosion ?  Also, will the former Farvan Gallery / Police Precinct building be demolished at the same time?

That’s the development with the new library, hotel and office tower I think it’s part of 7th and Tryon.

On 7/18/2022 at 7:43 PM, SydneycartonII said:

You have to live Clt!

https://www.charlotteobserver.com

Luxury apartments planned for uptown will include affordable units, officials say BY CHARLOTTE KRAMON UPDATED JULY 18, 2022 6:00 PM

A 353-unit luxury apartment complex in uptown Charlotte will include 106 units for residents below the city’s median income when it opens in 2024, nonprofit real estate company Inlivian said Monday. The mixed-income residential community at 8th and North Tryon streets will be the first of its kind in North Carolina, Inlivian said. Census data show the median income in Charlotte is $65,359….

Preliminary work is underway on the site of the vacant Hall House, formerly Barringer Hotel, and construction is scheduled to begin in the early fall, Inlivian said. The building will feature 1940s-era art deco architecture, and amenities will include a spa pool, co-working cafe, rooftop terrace, dog park, and sports courts. Inside, there will be one-, two- and three-bedroom units, in addition to studio apartments. The affordable units will be evenly dispersed. “Every Charlotte resident deserves a place to call home that brings them pride and sets them up for success,” Mecklenburg County Commissioner Mark Jerrell said in an Inlivian news release. “(Inlivian) is opening doors that will provide more access to many of the city’s best amenities, which for too long have been available to high-income individuals only.”

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/development/article263580848.html#storylink=cpy

image.jpeg.3b918893a06ba51d7c84d9cd8f4b1e60.jpeg

image.jpeg.dfdcea3944d092dd7dba3330fd392b55.jpeg

I'm a fan of the architecture

• Like 1

Is it worth it to separate the Hall House stuff that's just been posted into it's own thread? I mean, isn't there already an existing thread on it? Can we stop overlapping posts in multiple threads for the same stuff? 

C'mon people -- there's a search function. 

That being said, I still hate this project for what it is destroying, but at least the design is better than others. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

ehhh...

The search function is atrocious, at least on a mobile device.  You can’t even search the actual forum you’re in, so get ready for 4,341 results from all over the entire site’s worldwide database.  Laptop is marginally better.  

• Like 2

Is it worth it to separate the Hall House stuff that's just been posted into it's own thread? I mean, isn't there already an existing thread on it? Can we stop overlapping posts in multiple threads for the same stuff? 
C'mon people -- there's a search function. 

That being said, I still hate this project for what it is destroying, but at least the design is better than others. 

Technically this part of North Tryon Vision Plan and is in first ward so it is definitely not of topic. If there’s a specific thread of this project I haven’t seen it.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, j-man said:

This building is actually gorgeous but at the same time…..why such a short building on prime high rise property. This belongs in SouhEnd 

It seems that most cities are building shorter towers these days, including even bigger metros like Dallas, Atlanta, etc.    The consolation is that most cities aren’t building anything, and yet, Clt is building tons.

Edited by SydneycartonII
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...