First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That is new to me... also my child brain says lol at the Promenade on the map... 

WOW, those massings are nuts... Where is this project all coming from? 

Edit: Sadly, looking into it more, I think that it is very old. Maybe the "Levine Master Plan"

Edited by Blue_Devil

13 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

That is new to me... also my child brain says lol at the Promenade on the map... 

WOW, those massings are nuts... Where is this project all coming from? 

Edit: Sadly, looking into it more, I think that it is very old. Maybe the "Levine Master Plan"

Thanks.  Hopefully, Levine will sell to another developer.  Maybe Related.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DMann said:

Anyone know what’s going on in the parking lot across from Levine Museum of the new South? There appears to be containers being stacked there. Is Victoria yards moving?

maybe for the unannounced Truist Tower of about 30 floors including parking. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RANYC said:

7th and Tryon Project not expected to be completed until late 2025.  Main Library project also delayed a year and anticipates reopening in late 2025 as well.  Jeez.

I think this is just the library and Spirit Square portion of the project.  

From Biz Journal:

""The delivery of a major uptown redevelopment will be delayed by more than a year, due in part to design challenges, according to The Charlotte Observer. A new Main Library branch and renovated Spirit Square are now expected to reopen in late 2025, the daily newspaper reports.""

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I think this is just the library and Spirit Square portion of the project.  

From Biz Journal:

""The delivery of a major uptown redevelopment will be delayed by more than a year, due in part to design challenges, according to The Charlotte Observer. A new Main Library branch and renovated Spirit Square are now expected to reopen in late 2025, the daily newspaper reports.""

On Metropolitan Partnership's website, they describe project completion as scheduled for Q3 2024.  Now a County spokeswoman is telling the Observer that completion on N Tryon Redevelopment will complete in mid-2025, and the Library component won't finish until late 2025.  It appears the design process didn't fully capture the level of coordination between the two projects.

I wonder if this delays Metropolitan closing on the purchase of the Redevelopment lots.  Proceeds from that sale were to fund various affordable housing projects that just received approval from Council this month...and I think I recall hearing that the proceeds would come in early next year.

Edited by RANYC

28 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

How is this delayed... They said 4 years in the news release a few weeks ago. that would be 2025.

Well, from the horses' mouths:

Library website and fund-raising communications were saying early 2024 opening.  So that's delayed.  Not saying it isn't for good reason, but there has been a shift in their correspondences.

Metropolitan Partnership's website indicates their component of the North Tryon Redevelopment is anticipated to finish in Q3 2024, but now the County is saying mid-2025.  

Delays happen, so it is what it is.  We shouldn't be surprised.  Just look across the street at the Carolina Theater Redevelopment.  That whole area of uptown should be renamed the Dilatory District.

We're holding people to account for their projections, so smart move by Lincoln Harris to say nothing lol.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

Well, from the horses' mouths:

Library website and fund-raising communications were saying early 2024 opening.  So that's delayed.  Not saying it isn't for good reason, but there has been a shift in their correspondences.

Metropolitan Partnership's website indicates their component of the North Tryon Redevelopment is anticipated to finish in Q3 2024, but now the County is saying mid-2025.  

Delays happen, so it is what it is.  We shouldn't be surprised.  Just look across the street at the Carolina Theater Redevelopment.  That whole area of uptown should be renamed the Dilatory District.

We're holding people to account for their projections, so smart move by Lincoln Harris to say nothing lol.

This may not be the reason specifically, but at the same time: It is really hard to over-exaggerate how f*kd the construction market is right now.

You're worried about some cheap plastic toy for Christmas? Contractors are panicking when even basic light fixtures are suddenly 3-4 month lead times. Fiber cement siding is unavailable until '22. Carpet and tile selections are extremely limited. You wanted long span steel trusses? Guess what, you're now redesigning to use something else. Etc, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1