Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

I went to Goodbottle on Friday, in the early afternoon. Has anyone noticed that the volume of beers they have on the shelves has dropped substantially? I've noticed this every time I've gone in there over the span of the last several months. I actually quit going to GB for any special releases because it's gone before anyone else. Brawley's or Vintner always keep better stock in my opinion -- or maybe less beer geeks go there perhaps. Has anyone else noticed this? It sucks because for the longest time Goodbottle was my go to place for stocking up on regional craft beers. They almost always have a solid tap list though, so it's still worth stopping in.

2 hours ago, HopHead said:

I went to Goodbottle on Friday, in the early afternoon. Has anyone noticed that the volume of beers they have on the shelves has dropped substantially? I've noticed this every time I've gone in there over the span of the last several months. I actually quit going to GB for any special releases because it's gone before anyone else. Brawley's or Vintner always keep better stock in my opinion -- or maybe less beer geeks go there perhaps. Has anyone else noticed this? It sucks because for the longest time Goodbottle was my go to place for stocking up on regional craft beers. They almost always have a solid tap list though, so it's still worth stopping in.

Is Hex's coffee any good? :tw_grimace:

On 12/28/2016 at 10:29 AM, HopHead said:

I would agree with this - the shelves have been pretty empty recently. They do often have some generous limits on some releases when they come out (like a Fonta Flora where you could get several bottles, they had a bunch more than anywhere else) - but it seems like the stock is much lower recently, and much of that stock is the extremely expensive Shelton Bros national/international stuff (Prairie, etc.) 

Last chance to get in your predictions for brewery opening dates in 2017: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfYQ0E5apBaUhSL9rufHBott1GI2IVXQUjz55d5pzCHAztdOw/viewform#start=invite

Only 4 of us have entered so far, ha ha ha.  Come on, it's just for fun.  And you don't even have to identify yourself if you don't want to.

Here's my map of breweries, open and coming soon:  https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

By the way, a couple different articles in the last week have mentioned the Southern Tier / Victory opening in 2017, but I don't have it listed since there's been no location announced and precious little information about the brewery itself.

Edited by grodney

59 minutes ago, grodney said:

Last chance to get in your predictions for brewery opening dates in 2017: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfYQ0E5apBaUhSL9rufHBott1GI2IVXQUjz55d5pzCHAztdOw/viewform#start=invite

Only 4 of us have entered so far, ha ha ha.  Come on, it's just for fun.  And you don't even have to identify yourself if you don't want to.

Here's my map of breweries, open and coming soon:  https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

By the way, a couple different articles in the last week have mentioned the Southern Tier / Victory opening in 2017, but I don't have it listed since there's been no location announced and precious little information about the brewery itself.

Just entered haha. As for ST/V, expect to see something very early next year in regards to a location :)

Also, cant forget (I did, thanks RDF) my hometown brewery coming to town: Fat Heads

Edited by Jayvee

Thanks for your work on this map, I personally really appreciate it and find it super helpful. I refer friends to it when they want to know more about where current breweries are and new ones will be. 2017 is shaping up to be a good year for openings. 

Side note: I like how our breweries are starting to spread out off of the blue line. It used to be so linear which would make Charlotte look like it didn't really have that many breweries when it does. 

1 hour ago, grodney said:

I somehow missed Eleven Lakes Brewing, opening "Early 2017" in Cornelius.  I've added it to my CharMeck map:  https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8 Construction appears to be well underway.  They have twitters and instagrams and all that.

How many beers must one have before counting 11 lakes around Cornelius?

46 minutes ago, kermit said:

I hate it when the man says we can't have fun. This sucks.

(dogs not allowed in taprooms anymore)

http://www.charlottefive.com/no-dogs-in-charlotte-breweries/

Agenda has a matching article: https://www.charlotteagenda.com/76853/dogs-charlotte-breweries/

The thing is, they never WERE allowed in taprooms.  I saw health violations for dogs in previous years, and the brewery just appeared to take the 1-point hit or whatever it was on their score.  The Agenda even mentions this, and goes on to say the county won't let that "slide" any longer, whatever that means.  Presumably there's something more they can do, enforcement-wise, beyond the 1-point deduction.....but the article fails to mention what that is.

I don't see anything stopping the breweries from saying "No dogs allowed, wink wink".  Which is what I've felt like they've been doing all along anyway.  But with an intensified spotlight, maybe they don't want to take that chance (if there is indeed some penalty beyond the 1 point).

Personally, I'm happy to have a strictly enforced ban, but I'll drink the beer either way!

53 minutes ago, kermit said:

I hate it when the man says we can't have fun. This sucks.

(dogs not allowed in taprooms anymore)

http://www.charlottefive.com/no-dogs-in-charlotte-breweries/

Interesting convo going on over at Reddit about this.  There are examples given where some owners weren't cleaning up after their dogs indoors which lead to these complaints.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Charlotte/comments/5lpueb/someone_who_knows_lawsstatutescodes_better_than_i/

By the way, here's NoDa's violation from June of 2014, as an example: https://public.cdpehs.com/NCENVPBL/INSPECTION_VIOLATION/ShowVIOLATIONTable.aspx?INSPECTION=2409239&ESTABLISHMENT=129298&esttst_cty=60

" 6-501.115 Prohibiting Animals.(A) live animals may not be allowed on the PREMISES of a FOOD ESTABLISHMENT. Pf(3) In areas that are not used for FOOD preparation and thatare usually open for customers, such as dining and salesareas, SERVICE ANIMALS that are controlled by the disabledEMPLOYEE or PERSON, if a health or safety HAZARD will notresult from the presence or activities of the SERVICE ANIMAL;Observed two dogs inside establishment at bar area. Dogs removed from establishment. "

Is Charlotte particularly strict in this regard? I seem to recall seeing dogs inside drinking, and sometimes eating, establishments in Georgia, Colorado, and even within NC I think in Asheville and Winston Salem. I tend to choose the brewery I go to largely based on their inside dog-friendliness if the weather isn't great or if I'm meeting someone and then can't leave the patio to get a drink without leaving my dog. I also wonder about Bulldog (both locations), since this is an integral part of their concept. I guess they could simply become a 'private club' if nothing else. 

I will be honest. I love dogs. We have two of them and even foster for rescues. However, I'm not bothered by dogs no longer being allowed in taprooms (outside isn't an issue to me, especially if you have a larger space like OMB or NoDa). There has been too many times where I, or someone I'm with, have been nearly caught in the line of fire of two dogs snapping at each other. This has happened at Wooden Robot and Triple C specifically. So many people don't realize that their dogs don't get alone with everyone. Especially in a smaller space like a taproom. Plus of course there is the whole sanitation issue which is the larger problem and the root of all this...

Edited by HopHead
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, grodney said:

The question sometimes comes up how many breweries we have.  Here's my best shot.  I'm sure there are mistakes/omissions.  My answer is "around 20".

brewerycount_zpsb666bz58.jpg

I'm OK with that many.  But where/when do we hit our saturation point?  Aren't there about 5 more opening this year with 2 or 3 expansions in 2017 also?

11 hours ago, JRNYP2C said:

I'm OK with that many.  But where/when do we hit our saturation point?  Aren't there about 5 more opening this year with 2 or 3 expansions in 2017 also?

My personal answer to the "saturation" question, which has been asked for a couple years at least:

1) Look at Asheville (or many other "small" craft beer meccas) and compare population to number of breweries.  Charlotte isn't even CLOSE.  Yes, demographics and other factors prevent Charlotte from having the same brewery-per-capita as those places, but we're not even in the ballpark.

2) On some scale, breweries aren't competing against each other, they're competing against Big Beer.  Go to any grocery store.  Go to any bar/restaurant.  As long as you see Big Beer (and "national craft") then there's plenty of room for Charlotte beer.  First is converting the people....that will continue to happen.  Second, shelf and tap space....it's complicated and Big-Beer-Predatory, but it's still there.  Craft beer in the U.S. is only 11% of total beer sales.  96% of the beer consumed in N.C. is made out-of-state.