Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

On 1/30/2017 at 1:06 PM, InSouthPark said:

Catawba announced they are brewing a CLT area only, double dry hopped IPA to commemorate the opening of the Charlotte location.  Cans and draft. No word yet on if the brewery will open in February or not or if this was actually brewed in CLT (I assume no). 

Tip Top has some of this^  had it last night.  It was solid.

• Like 1

Trader Joe at Metropolitan has an interesting selection of local craft beer. Far better local representation than any other product in the store, though bakery and produce may be local as well. It also has a TJ brand JosefBrau and I wonder if it is provided by a local brewery? Providers are prohibited from commenting on the relationship with Trader Joe, though suppliers of other products are reported to be happy with the relationship.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 1:20 PM, tarhoosier said:

Trader Joe at Metropolitan has an interesting selection of local craft beer. ...It also has a TJ brand JosefBrau and I wonder if it is provided by a local brewery?

Trader Joe's beers are brewed by  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Biersch_Brewing_Company  except their Vintage Ale each year is brewed by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unibroue as far as I know.

For any of you who don't read the Agenda religiously, here are some details on Resident Culture.  2500 sq ft taproom, 1500 sq ft covered patio, 4000 sq ft biergarten.  Focus on freshness of hoppy beers and a robust barrel aging program.  Targeting May opening.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/80444/new-brewery-with-taproom-and-biergarten-coming-to-plaza-midwood/

Map of breweries: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

1 minute ago, Crown said:

Heist Brewery is expanding its reach with a new production facility, bakery and butcher shop in Charlotte's North End.

Plans call for that facility — dubbed Heist Brewery and Barrel Arts — to open in mid- to late summer. That 22,000-square-foot facility sits on a 2.3-acre parcel off of Woodward Avenue.

Roughly 17,000 square feet will serve as the brewing facility, including a 3,200-square-foot taproom. Also planned are a 30-barrel brew house and canning line, patio space and a large beer garden.

ttp://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/02/08/more-beer-butcher-shop-and-bakery-on-tap-for-heist.html

A1EenJb.jpg?1

cross-posted for you beer fans! 

3 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

When will we reach Peak Beer?

When we get tired of buying larger and larger clothing to accomodate our growing beer bellies and switch to craft liquor instead.

Re: Heist 2nd facility, the canning line and higher capacity are good news.....will hopefully make their beer more accessible.

The "mid- to late-summer" opening is a little slip from the previously-published "apr-jun".

p.s. Here are the UP Brewery Prediction Game entries for Heist's 2nd Taproom.

toz 7/4/2017
11 HouseBZ 7/4/2017
hambone931 7/11/2017
Clayton 9/10/2017
JT 9/10/2017
grodney 10/28/2017
Hornetshawk not this year

Edited by grodney

42 minutes ago, hambone931 said:

That probably good.  Odd (and good?) that a GOP introduced it.  But odd that the Craft Brewer's Guild didn't even know about it.  And finally, it goes to the ABC committee next, which is led by the biggest money recipient from the Wholesalers, who vehemently oppose any such change.

You gotta admire capitalism sometimes.  A bunch of breweries founded on the idea of being locally crafted, micro-brewing, all looking to join the big boys.  Large scale production breweries with significant distribution channels to compete directly against local, smaller micro-breweries.  Who likely do not have the capital to distribute at that level.  Or the desire.

I don't have anything against them doing it.  Just find it interesting.

4 hours ago, ah59396 said:

You gotta admire capitalism sometimes.  A bunch of breweries founded on the idea of being locally crafted, micro-brewing, all looking to join the big boys.  Large scale production breweries with significant distribution channels to compete directly against local, smaller micro-breweries.  Who likely do not have the capital to distribute at that level.  Or the desire.

I don't have anything against them doing it.  Just find it interesting.

Yeah, just my opinion, but I don't think a cap should exist at all.  I think every brewery should be able to distribute however they choose.  The whole 3-tier thing is dumb, and a product of a bygone era.

At the same time, breweries like OMB and NoDa knew (or should have known) what they were getting into when they started their business.

So in the end, since I think the cap is dumb, I "side with" the little breweries in trying to get the cap raised or better yet removed.

p.s. It's amazing to me to watch a little brewery like Benford in Lancaster, which is quite literally one guy in a farm building, use "big beer" distribution channels to get his product ALL OVER N.C. and S.C. and I think even Tenn.  But at the same time, I *love* NoDa's (and OMB's) philosophy of they want their own people distributing their own beer....no matter what.

Whoa, a gift from the twitter gods....Blue Blaze says that Yellow Blazer(?) Kolsch and Black Blaze Milk Stout are now canned and ready to go out.  Nice!

Ah, Daniel has the story on the observer site too.  On sale next week.  What's with the "Blazer" instead of "Blaze"?  Weird.  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/restaurants/article132840559.html

Yellow for $11 and Black for $13.  Damn why so expensive?  Jalapeno is 9 bucks people.  9 bucks!  And I can get Hop Drop (7.2%) for $11.  Cripes.

31 minutes ago, grodney said:

Whoa, a gift from the twitter gods....Blue Blaze says that Yellow Blazer(?) Kolsch and Black Blaze Milk Stout are now canned and ready to go out.  Nice!

Ah, Daniel has the story on the observer site too.  On sale next week.  What's with the "Blazer" instead of "Blaze"?  Weird.  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/restaurants/article132840559.html

Yellow for $11 and Black for $13.  Damn why so expensive?  Jalapeno is 9 bucks people.  9 bucks!  And I can get Hop Drop (7.2%) for $11.  Cripes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grodney said:

I believe someone had a trademark on Yellow Blaze already? 

On 12/28/2016 at 10:29 AM, HopHead said:

I went to Goodbottle on Friday, in the early afternoon. Has anyone noticed that the volume of beers they have on the shelves has dropped substantially? I've noticed this every time I've gone in there over the span of the last several months. I actually quit going to GB for any special releases because it's gone before anyone else. Brawley's or Vintner always keep better stock in my opinion -- or maybe less beer geeks go there perhaps. Has anyone else noticed this? It sucks because for the longest time Goodbottle was my go to place for stocking up on regional craft beers. They almost always have a solid tap list though, so it's still worth stopping in.

Bringing this back up I went last night and the entire middle of the shop is now seating instead of the row that'd feature beer from NC, Seasonal and IPA.  Shelves look fuller now that there's less of them.  But it seems like the addition of Hex and more week day events required additional seating.

1 hour ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Bringing this back up I went last night and the entire middle of the shop is now seating instead of the row that'd feature beer from NC, Seasonal and IPA.  Shelves look fuller now that there's less of them.  But it seems like the addition of Hex and more week day events required additional seating.

That's disappointing. Aside from the prices being higher than a lot of the other bottle shops around town, less inventory means less reason for people like me to go there. Sucks because that used to be such a good place to go to for hard to find beers. Lots of other options now though. Unless I see something really rare on tap and I'm on the side of town, I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

59 minutes ago, HopHead said:

That's disappointing. Aside from the prices being higher than a lot of the other bottle shops around town, less inventory means less reason for people like me to go there. Sucks because that used to be such a good place to go to for hard to find beers. Lots of other options now though. Unless I see something really rare on tap and I'm on the side of town, I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

As someone who gets a pint there every time he's in town, seating can be a bit of a problem there, even at nonpeak hours, but I do have to say... the beer selection has definitely dwindled. Especially among local options.

4 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

As someone who gets a pint there every time he's in town, seating can be a bit of a problem there, even at nonpeak hours, but I do have to say... the beer selection has definitely dwindled. Especially among local options.

GoodBottle is about a half step out of my orbit, so I rarely go, but I have to say the only thing worse than a bottleshop that can't stay stocked, is a bottle shop that can't move product.  Nothing worse than a 200 day old IPA.

Edited by archiham04