Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

RE jwntim's post: I'm pretty sure that's not it, unless that is going to be a taproom and the brewery itself is off site.  From what I understand, this brewery is supposed to be a major production facility, and that building just doesn't fit the bill in terms of space.  

Edited by cltbwimob

7 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

RE jwntim's post: I'm pretty sure that's not it, unless that is going to be a taproom and the brewery itself is off site.  From what I understand, this brewery is supposed to be a major production facility, and that building just doesn't fit the bill in terms of space.  

Based on all the hints thrown, and I have no insider knowledge on this, I'd say that space is most likely an ABV taproom with production somewhere else.  If that's somehow wrong, then maybe it's Fathead's.

And in other news, whoa, huge news from Birdsong.....a new permanent beer in their year-round lineup, including cans!:  http://www.ncbeerguys.com/april-1-birdsong-brewing-adds-session-ipa-to-lineup/

birdsong.jpg

Edited by grodney
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, grodney said:

Yeah saw on Twitters yesterday that Kit at Trackside in Pineville already has it on the shelves.  I love the Jai Alai and Maduro, but would much rather spend my money locally....there's just not enough difference to make it worth buying non-local.  To me.  And on that note, my Hop Drop 4-packs have been MUCH more consistent the last few months.

p.s. The White Oak Aged Jai Alai is FANTASTIC.....haven't seen that locally yet, but a friend got me a can recently.

Well Jai Alai is quasi-local.  The Jai Alai that we are getting is being brewed at Oskar Blues in Brevard.  Also if have seen Oskar Blues Hoppy Floppy on draft....that is just Jai Alai they needed to get out before CC got NC approval.  I have a friend that lives in Brevard and he is good friends with a lot of the employees at OB (plus confirmed when I was up there last month and there were stacks upon stacks of empty Jai Alai cans.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Well Jai Alai is quasi-local.  The Jai Alai that we are getting is being brewed at Oskar Blues in Brevard.  Also if have seen Oskar Blues Hoppy Floppy on draft....that is just Jai Alai they needed to get out before CC got NC approval.  I have a friend that lives in Brevard and he is good friends with a lot of the employees at OB (plus confirmed when I was up there last month and there were stacks upon stacks of empty Jai Alai cans.

Haha, that's hilarious. Thanks for the info.  (And no that's still not local enough but honestly to each his own.)

Not sure if this got a mention, but it looks like "Pop the Top" craft beer store is opening in Camden Gallery in Southend this Spring. http://mecktimes.com/news/2017/03/07/butler-represents-pop-the-top-craft-beer-shop-in-leasing-south-end-location/

Pop the Top, which will open later this spring, will feature craft and regular local beers, regional non-alcoholic beverages (including one tap dedicated to kombucha and one for cider), and will partner with local food truck, New Wrap Order, to stock premade wraps, locally made pimento cheese, dips, chips and hummus.

8 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Not sure if this got a mention, but it looks like "Pop the Top" craft beer store is opening in Camden Gallery in Southend this Spring. http://mecktimes.com/news/2017/03/07/butler-represents-pop-the-top-craft-beer-shop-in-leasing-south-end-location/

Pop the Top, which will open later this spring, will feature craft and regular local beers, regional non-alcoholic beverages (including one tap dedicated to kombucha and one for cider), and will partner with local food truck, New Wrap Order, to stock premade wraps, locally made pimento cheese, dips, chips and hummus.

I could've sworn I talked about it but yeah it's gonna be a dope spot!! Gonna cater a lot to pets and the patio will be nice. They're going for a "living room" vibe 

QCBC has up a sign saying $4 all drafts all month.  This seems silly to post a random special here.  But a) it's for a whole month, and b) it's uptown, and c) I miss the beer talk!  p.s. Did you see D9 is releasing some 15% crazy thing?  http://www.d9brewing.com/events/2017/3/10/cape-canaveral-release-party

Cape+Canaveral.jpg?format=300w

Edited by grodney
  • Like 2

Million dollar idea free for the taking:

Take a tiny fraction of CLT brewing expertise to London in a micro-brewery context and have a half-decent tap room.

The London micro seen -sucks- in a wide variety of ways, but there is a huge hunger for hoppy beers plus a ton of opportunities for tap rooms and micro-owned pubs. It would be pretty sweet if NC brewers coild circumvent the 25,000 barrel barrier by going global.

I think this would be an interesting concept to try. Pubs in England are mostly owned by the breweries. Certainly the more popular and larger units are brewer outlets and fighting such a battle with the giant purse of a national and international brewer would be more daunting than anyone could imagine.

^ yes, but there are tons of derelict pubs. Plenty of opportunities for a decent small brewer to step in and resurrect a shuttered neighborhood staple that would otherwise be empty (e.g. lots of opportunities for a medium sized brewery to set up 3-4 tap rooms that were once neighborhood pubs. Imagine  Birdsong with 4 tap rooms spread across Charlotte that were alL established bars 10 years ago)

Edited by kermit

^which is exactly why there is a widow. There are only two (?) Brewers that have (semi) deducated pub outlets in London so ot is possible. There is room for 20 more at least. It's the US in 2005 times 1000, people here really appreciate good beer, but they lack options.

@kermit Europe, in general, lacks variety in regards to its beer and style.

Dont get me wrong, I love visiting Ghent and going to a Belgian beer pub, or sitting in Munich and having a nice hefewizen.  But that's it in each of those cities, and something replicated throughout the continent.  I was just in Cologne, a metro of nearly 3,000,000 and only found ONE craft beer pub (with 15 taps, it was pretty awesome though).  Every other bar was the same Kölsch over and over again.

Europe is ripe for some variety.  I'm glad I'm not the only one that saw this.

Edited by ah59396
  • Like 1

I don't know if they have brewery/ale house stop and go bus tours in uptown Charlotte, but we occasionally do up here on the lake. Lots of fun. I am an older person and after many decades of drinking occasionally, I have switched from my beloved Stella to craft beer, I love the idea of having a vodka or two at home, going out with friends and having a couple glasses (10 ounce) of 12 percent and achieving the perfect buzz. Tarhossier, I just want you to know that I am also often the oldest guy in the brew houses, but I never think of it. Although I am married, I seem to be the one that the women prefer to hit on. Even my much younger friends envy me. I am not available which is a huge disappointment to many. Don't worry. Being older has its advantages especially if you you are a natural chick magnet. Finally, I am so extremely happy that OMB is coming north. I hope the govt. approves the limits for them. I can walk to at least 10 bars and brew houses from my house. Life is good. Thank god for beer. It makes even the ugliest of women tolerable and that is a good thing. 

Edited by caterpillar2

8 hours ago, ah59396 said:

@kermit Europe, in general, lacks variety in regards to its beer and style.

Dont get me wrong, I love visiting Ghent and going to a Belgian beer pub, or sitting in Munich and having a nice hefewizen.  But that's it in each of those cities, and something replicated throughout the continent.  I was just in Cologne, a metro of nearly 3,000,000 and only found ONE craft beer pub (with 15 taps, it was pretty awesome though).  Every other bar was the same Kölsch over and over again.

Europe is ripe for some variety.  I'm glad I'm not the only one that saw this.

I lived in London many years and loved the pubs and their variety of beers. Now when I go, I am disappointed. British beer is generally lower in alcohol and generally much more expensive. Craft beer is hard to find although that is what I drank years ago when I was young living there and drinking "bitters."  I am glad to say that we kick ass in the area of beer options these days. I do like Belgian beers and hated craft beer at first, Now I am hooked. My favorite in the U.K is hard cider. 

19 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Epi is getting a World of Beer (in the old Revolution spot). Mehhhhh kinda cool I guess? They're also getting Rocket Fizz (soda and candy shop)

I mean its definitely an improvement for the landscape at the Epicenter (assuming clothing retail isn't working at the moment). I know most of us like to make fun of the place but its still pretty popular, especially with visitors.

World of Beer will be a much better fit for Epicentre than it ever was in Southend. It's a chain and it's something that out of towners will be more likely to visit when they are here. Especially during the work week or some sporting event like the NCAA tourney where you can sit there for hours. The old southend location to me was bad and the execution wasn't great either especially for that spot. 

Edited by HopHead

A) Craft Freedom (effort to raise the self-distribution cap) was set to have a presser tomorrow for when their legislation is introduced, but now it's been postponed.

B) Catawba said on the twitters today both "second week of April" and "mid April" for their Charlotte opening. So much for March.