Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

17 minutes ago, kermit said:

Hats off to QCQ for starting the very appropriate boycott against our macro-overlords:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/12/15/queen-city-q-to-boycott-anheuser-busch-inbev.html?ana=twt

Now if we can just get 20 more local establishments to join in we might be able to make some headway against our problematic micro-distribution laws.

Everyone with a Twitter account should tweet this story out. I was already a big QCQ fan, and this just made me a bigger one. 

Legion has been moved to Open on my map of breweries.

Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

Aggressive hours for them from the start, 7 days a week, opening early and staying open late.

That should wrap up 2015 for CharMeck.  4 all-new breweries (Free Range, Wooden Robot, Three Spirits, Legion) plus a 2nd location for NoDa and a micro-brew operation at Salud.  2014 saw 5 new breweries, which included 2 in Davidson/Huntersville and 1 in Matthews.

In other news, OMB has purchased the building and land next to them.  Holy crap.  They will move corporate operations into that building, and then expand their current taproom.  https://www.charlotteagenda.com/31003/olde-mecklenburg-brewing-bought-the-building-next-to-it-so-it-can-expand-its-taproom/

Edited by grodney

Anytime I have been in the taproom to eat, it has either been on a wait or you had to squish into a spot. They can definitely use more inside space (and more parking). Although they could have foregone expansion if they just offered full table service outside 99% of the time. 

I think they are doing more food service then they initially imagined. Hungry people are usually thirsty people and tend to stick around longer. 

Good for them!

News of a possible brewery, coffee roaster/shop, restaurant in one....in the old Famous Amos candy factory.....off of Central Ave a long block north of Intermezzo:

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/31156/the-old-kellogg-plant-in-the-belmont-neighborhood-may-soon-house-a-brewery-restaurant-and-coffee-roaster/

According to the owner he is "in conversations with two breweries about the space, one of which is an existing brewery looking to expand.".  Looking at the list of CharMeck breweries, I'm having trouble coming up with which "existing brewery" he's talking about....maybe it's not an in-town one?  Who knows.

12 hours ago, Prodev said:

I went to Legion last night and tried three of their beers. The Juicy J is probably going into my top 3 IPAs along with Hop Drop and Higher Ground. Really impressive. The other two were good too but less memorable. 

I had the Juicy J last night too. Really good and at 7% ABV the second one will really creep up on you. 

xmas eve and xmas hours per the twitterers:

Wooden Robot - Eve 1-8; Day 5-11
Free Range - Eve 5-?; Day Closed

Unknown - Eve Closed; Day Closed
Sycamore - Eve Closed; Day Closed
NoDa - Eve Closed; Day Closed
Triple C - Eve Closed; Day Closed

Haven't seen anything yet:

OMB?
Birdsong?
Sugar Creek?
Three Spirits?
Legion?

9 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Just saw these:

Legion: Xmas Eve Closed; Day Closed

Birdsong: Eve open 4:30-10: Day Closed.

Three Spirits - Closed until Jan 2

Sugar Creek - Eve Closed: Day Closed

Olde Meck - Eve Closed: Day Closed: NYD Closed

Three Spirits closed until January 2nd? That's a huge missed opportunity for them. Plenty of us are off work until January 4th. 

8 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'm sitting at Great Lakes brewery in Cleveland, I have to say, it's no where near as good as a couple Charlotte breweries. Heck, I'd say heist may even be better, from a beer+food perspective.

Watch your mouth!! All kidding aside, I tend to agree....except their Christmas Ale is the greatest thing in the world

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'm sitting at Great Lakes brewery in Cleveland, I have to say, it's no where near as good as a couple Charlotte breweries. Heck, I'd say heist may even be better, from a beer+food perspective.

Go across the street to Market Garden (if you're still in Ohio City).  I'm a big fan of those guys and they'll be distributing in NC next year

14 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

The Broken Spoke (bar at Great Wagon Road Distilling) inconspicuously announced their opening via Facebook yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/brokenspokebarnc/?fref=ts

I am really excited to check this place out.

This place looks so awesome. What an asset to that little drinking corridor. I also love the big FU they're giving to the state abc by opening it. 

5 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

What's the FU? 

Can't sell bottles of booze to the public (minus the one bottle per year per person).  You can however sell as much of your own liquor if you own a bar. I wonder if they have to buy their own booze from the ABC? Because in that case, they both win.  Honestly it is just great advertising to get your booze in the hand of potential drinkers.