Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

1 minute ago, grodney said:

Growler USA in Ballantyne opens Saturday.  Tap list here: http://www.taphunter.com/location/Growler-USA--Charlotte-Ballantyne/4920270212562944

The only notable thing to me is the description on the Birdsong Jalapeno: " Our Free Will Pale Ale.. with fresh Jalapenos added to give it a fresh, pepper flavor and this time we’ve included some of the seeds for a little heat! This is a limited release, so enjoy it while it’s here. "

Woah. Jalapeno Pale has never been spicy to me, always just the flavor of it. This is exciting!

20 hours ago, NeverSummer said:

That's interesting.  You would think that the South End area is reaching a saturation point and breweries would look at other parts of the city.  Any idea which breweries?  Startups?

I didn't learn the area. I know that there is a space on Tremont, and a space at Scaleybark station that were looking for brewery tenants.

2 hours ago, grodney said:

Pretty disappointing to see Lagunitas, Blue Point, and Goose Island on their tap list.  So I wrote corporate and told them it doesn't really mesh with the super-big-deal they make about "True to the Brew"(tm).  Ummm, so there.

Don't forget Ballast Point. Sold to Constellation Brands for ONE BILLION DOLLARS a few months ago

I knew Ballast Point sold, but isn't that different? The purchaser isn't a beer producer, are they? Maybe I'm wrong....i didn't study it.  Does this sale disqualify them from "craft" definition? Hmmmm yeah, regardless, you could argue the money isn't going to the brewery and the community, so I probably have to add them to my boycott.

Edited by grodney

2 hours ago, Prodev said:

Constellation owns Corona, Modelo, Pacifico, about 100 wine labels and a few spirits brands. I'm hoping the purchase means Sculpin will be a little less expensive.

I've ordered Habañero Sculpin in bars and restaurants, and had never once purchased it in a store, until a few months ago. I'd never paid more than 6 to 8 for a pint, even in Brooklyn. Then I picked one up at the grocery store, no price market, boy did I give the manager of the place hell when it rang up $22.99 for a 6 pack. I love it, I couldn't believe how expensive it was.

43 minutes ago, DavieNative said:

I don't know if any of ya'll have ever heard of Brewpublik? Its a Charlotte startup that hand delivers craft beer to your home once a month in wooden crates. If you like craft beer you should go check them out!  

It's been mentioned quite a number of times on here. 

• Like 1

Sugar Creek twitted out some "Tailgate Specials".  50L keg = $99, sixtel = $49, 6-packs (pale or white) $5.99.

If I've done my math/conversions correctly, that's 70c/12oz, 88c/12oz, and $1 per 12oz, respectively.

Or to compare to pint pricing $0.93, $1.17, and $1.33 per pint, respectively.

Good Feb 1 through Feb 7.

Edited by grodney

Are any of the breweries in planning considering Cotswold locations?  

Pizza Peel has a decent draft selection but I think an outdoor area to drink beer or even just a bottle shop or craft seller, would do really well in that area.   It would be surrounded by neighborhoods of affluent people that like drinking beer that currently have to travel to Southend/NODA.   Since Hotel Charlotte left I think there is an opportunity.

I think the Thirsty Beaver location across from Lupies is going to do well due to the relative lack of competition for the Cotswold area.

Edited by WCUP

I got up to High Branch Brewing in Concord this weekend.  Nice little spot in Gibson Mill.  It's a little tucked away and actually kinda tough to find if you weren't familiar with the location, but it's an aesthetically pleasing spot, albeit small, with garage doors that open to overlook the back portion of the mill where Cabarrus Brewing Company is currently being built.  The beer was also very good.  

1 hour ago, WCUP said:

Pizza Peel has a decent draft selection but I think an outdoor area to drink beer or even just a bottle shop or craft seller, would do really well in that area.   It would be surrounded by neighborhoods of affluent people that like drinking beer that currently have to travel to Southend/NODA.   Since Hotel Charlotte left I think there is an opportunity.

I think the Thirsty Beaver location across from Lupies is going to do well due to the relative lack of competition for the Cotswold area.

Someone would likely have to build it from the ground up as there aren't really any warehouse type locations in that area that I can think of. I am sure Todd and Suzie Ford scoured the area a few years ago as they live in Cotswold (and are in Pizza Peel like every time I go there).  Best case might be a brewpub with a very small system pop up somewhere in a decommissioned restaurant. Best case might be a spot in the redeveloped Strawberry Hill

I am more surprised that something like a Good Bottle or Salud type of place doesn't open somewhere in that area. No true bottle shops around Cotswold for miles. Same with SouthPark/Foxcroft area.  One of the those stores would do a killing in the Strawberry Hill / Foxcroft spots.  Maybe with the new development in there we will get something.   

2 hours ago, WCUP said:

My best guess about location would be on the east side of the CSX line, Silabert Ave, in Oakhurst, those are the only real industrial/warehouse spots in that area, but it's a gridded, well-connected area to boot. They'd do well there! But very low visibility, so Oakhurst would need to up their PR skills.

Now, if (and that's a big IF!) the Silver line ends up going down the CSX corridor, I assume Silabert Ave will be a big trending block, considering all these things.

2 hours ago, ah59396 said:

I got up to High Branch Brewing in Concord this weekend.  Nice little spot in Gibson Mill.  It's a little tucked away and actually kinda tough to find if you weren't familiar with the location, but it's an aesthetically pleasing spot, albeit small, with garage doors that open to overlook the back portion of the mill where Cabarrus Brewing Company is currently being built.  The beer was also very good.  

Woah man, that's the most innocuous street presence (or lack there of) I've ever seen. I gotta check it out.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

Yeah, they've been on my "coming soon" list for a long time...in fact since RickyDavisFan mentioned them in this thread in Sep 2014.  They used to be "Archive" but changed to "Avenge" (their facebook url is still Archive).  Anyway, not much info beyond what's on the facebook, twitter, and website.

My list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L2d284jafmGz6fnXWZkHOnwySw5x1-l5F3BnhTswm9I/edit?usp=sharing

My map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8