Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

Am I the only one around that hates craft beer. My problem with all of the new brewhouses is that I can't get my Stella. I am just glad that I can get drunk on some craft beer quickly and overcome the horrible taste. I don't mean to offend those lovers of the crafts, I just can't stand the taste of those I have experienced so far. Am I alone?

It's not all Double IPAs and Russian Imperial Stouts and off-the-wall sours. Most breweries also offer a few basic pilsners, lagers, wheat, blondes, and session beers that are not really that far off from the style or taste of certain macro beers (just usually better). Hating on the craft beer industry as a whole is a little misplaced when it covers the same spectrum (and then some) as the macro brewers. 

• Like 2

Most (good) bartenders should be able to tell you something that they have on tap is like X beer... Agreed, plenty of good craft beers are not just IPAs, Stouts, Sours, etc. In my opinion, OMB does a great job of brewing beers for the non-craft and craft beer lover. Copper and Captain Jack for example appeal to a lot of people that I know that don't like the Hop Drop n Roll and Mexicali stouts out there. 

Not included on that map/list (yet) is Red Paw Brewing in Davidson, "coming soon".  From their website: "we are not yet open to the public, our location is top secret, and the date of our grand opening is unknowable since it depends on how soon we are able to reach our funding goals.  HOPING TO OPEN SUMMER 2015."

Edited by grodney

You have a link to "archivebrewing.com" in the "avenge brewing" website cell...

For anyone trying to introduce their palette or their friends' palettes into craft beer, I suggest Golden Boy from Triple C, Captain Jack from OMB and Southern Girl from Sycamore.  I don't personally like CAVU from NoDa, but it is also a lighter option.

Edited by NeverSummer
  • Like 1

^ I really hope they don't come to Charlotte, they would feel like interlopers, I don't think they would improve the quality of our 'scene' and they would take tap space from truely local beers.

This prospect did make me realize that I am a little sad that for all of our great breweries, we don't have any actual brewpubs -- only breweries with food trucks (Rock Bottom doesn't coun't IMO). This is something that both Natty Green and Foothills have done very well and I would vote for more of it here.

having said that, I do see the merit of a brewer just focusing on beer so as not to be distracted by food, service etc. so maybe I'll just STFU.

edit: Heist counts. Why can't we have another one of those but with better beer?

Edited by kermit
Forgot Heist

I do think Natty Greene's belongs in Greensboro, it's their home, and other cities besides Asheville, Raleigh-Durham, and Charlotte need good scenes. Greensboro is on its way to being a great city with a great downtown, much of it very old and historic with great bones.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

Count me in the crowd that doesn't want Natty Greene's here. For basically the same reasons kermit stated. Charlotte has done a great job organically growing its own breweries. In a way it's the same sort of reason I don't really care to lure the big craft brewers when they were looking to expand on the east coast (e.g. Stone, Green Flash, Ballast Point, etc). Let's keep what we have going.

On the topic of Heist, I agree they have done a great job with turning their beers around. Before they hired their new head brewer, I'm not sure I liked one of their beers. Now there are 4 or 5 I would regularly drink. 

^ I really hope they don't come to Charlotte, they would feel like interlopers, I don't think they would improve the quality of our 'scene' and they would take tap space from truely local beers.

This prospect did make me realize that I am a little sad that for all of our great breweries, we don't have any actual brewpubs -- only breweries with food trucks (Rock Bottom doesn't coun't IMO). This is something that both Natty Green and Foothills have done very well and I would vote for more of it here.

having said that, I do see the merit of a brewer just focusing on beer so as not to be distracted by food, service etc. so maybe I'll just STFU.

edit: Heist counts. Why can't we have another one of those but with better beer?

Personally I think they should focus on beer and they should ALL focus on supporting a more vibrant food truck scene. In Denver there were both and I preferred the food truck places for the variety - a different truck per day of the week. Plus it's the rare brewpup which pulls off decent food. That said, would love at least one high end farm to table brewpub!

I would love something like Edmunds Oast in Charleston.

Edmunds Oast is off the chain good but if you take away their house beers (which are awesome BTW) you are left with the Cellar at Duckworths in terms of food quality and high end tap list.

How EO brews the quality of beers they do AND have top notch food is beyond me. Never seen a place do both at the level they do.

Edited by InSouthPark

So the corner of Fat City Lofts, where Ozpresso used to be, is turning into a place called Fat City Lounge... (from their fb page). Looks like it'll be a full bar, with all the local beers.

I hope this takes off. Sure, it's yet another place to drink on NoDa, but it's a great space, with a great greenspace as a patio, and in the winter you can see the skyline.

Speaking of skylines, I can't figure out what skyline that is in the logo. They owner is Australian, but it doesn't look like any I can find online. Anyone have an idea? 

12063419_919973504757657_2760592507418899868_n.jpg

12182433_920941617994179_2293365536559753745_o.jpg

I heard a rumor of a brewery in Plaza Mid, other than Legion.  Anybody have anything on that one?  I can't find anything by googling with the vague non-details I have.

Haven't heard anything, but I hope they take the brick building next to the flower shop they tore down. That would be a great spot for a brewery IMO.