Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

Lenny Boy announced on their Facebook that their new location is 3000 S Tryon.  This is the old HD Supply Plumbing building at the corner of Tryon and Griffith across from the new Morningstar Storage Place.  I love the location as it continues to spread SouthEnd farther South and West.

• Like 2

Lenny Boy announced on their Facebook that their new location is 3000 S Tryon.  This is the old HD Supply Plumbing building at the corner of Tryon and Griffith across from the new Morningstar Storage Place.  I love the location as it continues to spread SouthEnd farther South and West.

That's fantastic.  Only a couple/few blocks from Triple C.  And with the new Pepsi/NewBern development also "coming soon".  I have to believe there's more room in that TripleC area for another brewery or so.

That building is huge.  And they've already got Birdsong's old equipment on site.  Nice!

Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

Yeah Lenny Boys old space kinda sucked compared to all the other places in town (especially with no outside space). But I give them credit though. They started right: Build small, sell lots, build bigger to fill demand. 

It will be interesting to see how they grow. Their beer system at the old location was pretty small (3.5 barrel vs 10 barrel system they are getting from Birdsong). For such a small system they did have a lot of kegs around town. 

It is interesting that with such a large commitment in terms of space, they are still going to be on such a small system.  Almost every other brewery that I can think of (except Free Range and Heist) have a 15 barrel setup, and they are going to be on a 10 now.  Maybe it doesn't matter as much as it seems. Dunno.  Anyone able to weigh in?

It is interesting that with such a large commitment in terms of space, they are still going to be on such a small system.  Almost every other brewery that I can think of (except Free Range and Heist) have a 15 barrel setup, and they are going to be on a 10 now.  Maybe it doesn't matter as much as it seems. Dunno.  Anyone able to weigh in?

Well, they can always upgrade later.  If they could get a local used 10 bbl on the cheap, why not?

And they can add as many fermenters as they want, as big as they want, and do multiple boils into a single fermenter -- if demand requires it.

And who knows how they'll partition the space.  And how much space their Kombucha requires.

D9 moved from a tiny setup to a 10bbl. Three Spirits is 10bbl.

Primal and Bayne are 3 bbl and 2 bbl, respectively.

• Like 3

Doesn't really matter, just longer days. The size of the brewhouse doesn't dictate how much they can make, the size of the fermenter and brite tanks do.  They can easily upgrade to 30bbl fermenters and just mash in 3 times a day to fill it. Or just upgrade the whole brewhouse. Noda's old location had a 15bbl brewhouse but had 60bbl fermenters and brite tanks. They would mash 4 times in a day to make a full 60bbl batch. Noda upgraded their fermenters and tanks from 15bbl --> 30bbl --> 60bbl over time. 

It is a money saving move. They buy used equipment and a big discount over new and will be able to sell it for about the same as they paid for it (and demand by startup breweries should be easy to unload it).  If they plan out the brewery, upgrading shouldn't be a problem. 

• Like 1

If you really want to try and like it you can try Brewpublik.  When I signed up it had a questionnaire that you get to list your favorite Macro brews.  Based off your style preferences they'll find beers they think you'd like.  You can give that a try for a a little while to find what styles are enjoyable to you then seek them out at the local breweries.

Thanks, I have been a dedicated fan of Stella for decades. It is hard for me to break old traditions. When I became drinking age, I drank bitters in pubs in London. I didn't even know that it was a description of the taste. I thought it was just the name of the beer. When I discovered Pilsner's, I dropped bitters. I will try Brewpublik and thanks.

In thinking about the reuse of a brewhouse take this into consideration as well... as much as the craft guys like to be friendly... they are all still in business and competition exists.  I would bet you Lenny Boy is a much better outfit to sell to, if you are Birdsong, than a startup beer brewer that might eat your lunch one day.

Well what do you know, Thirsty Nomad -- who I tracked for a long time but then removed because I figured they'd be in Concord if they ever opened at all -- has announced space at 4402 Stuart Andrew Blvd.  This is essentially across 77 (and Tryon) from OMB and Sugar Creek.

I guess I don't know anything about that specific area, but it still seems an odd choice.

And in the most aggressive prediction I've seen in a while, they're saying open by "early 2016". What??  Even with *minimal* construction, I don't know how they could possibly get through the construction and alcohol/brewing permit hell by then.

Anyway:

List: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L2d284jafmGz6fnXWZkHOnwySw5x1-l5F3BnhTswm9I/edit?usp=sharing

Well what do you know, Thirsty Nomad -- who I tracked for a long time but then removed because I figured they'd be in Concord if they ever opened at all -- has announced space at 4402 Stuart Andrew Blvd.  This is essentially across 77 (and Tryon) from OMB and Sugar Creek.

I guess I don't know anything about that specific area, but it still seems an odd choice.

And in the most aggressive prediction I've seen in a while, they're saying open by "early 2016". What??  Even with *minimal* construction, I don't know how they could possibly get through the construction and alcohol/brewing permit hell by then.

Anyway:

List: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L2d284jafmGz6fnXWZkHOnwySw5x1-l5F3BnhTswm9I/edit?usp=sharing

I rarely read this thread, but ever time I read it, there seems to be another craft brewery opening in the QC. We have some many now, I've lost track! But I haven't seen CLT on any list for the Best Cities for Craft Beer etc.

Edit- I've seen one ;) 

Edited by Piedmont767

I rarely read this thread, but ever time I read it, there seems to be another craft brewery opening in the QC. We have some many now, I've lost track! But I haven't seen CLT on any list for the Best Cities for Craft Beer etc.

Here's are recent article from Fortune about Charlotte being a craft beer hub: http://fortune.com/2015/07/25/craft-breweries-north-carolina/

We will likely always be overshadowed by Asheville when people are discussing the NC beer scene.

^ that has always irritated me. I really don't think any of the Asheville brewers are stellar (Wicked Weed has its moments) but they get far more attention than the deserve. Despite their longer tradition of craft beer, I genuinely think our breweries are better from top to bottom. 

^ that has always irritated me. I really don't think any of the Asheville brewers are stellar (Wicked Weed has its moments) but they get far more attention than the deserve. Despite their longer tradition of craft beer, I genuinely think our breweries are better from top to bottom. 

For the most part, yeah I think our average quality is higher, with a lot of the big Asheville breweries that I used to be excited about seeming less impressive these days (Highland, Green Man). I'm a big Wicked Weed fan though...what they're doing is unique, as I don't know of any other breweries in the region doing the styles they are on a large scale. I'm also pretty into what beers I've had from Burial so far. 

Anyway, I am just happy, and surprised honestly, that we seem to have a higher profile as a beer town now than Raleigh (no hate, I'm from there), since they got an earlier start and, if you count brew pubs, have more breweries than we do, with half the population. I have to attribute that to the respectable quality of even the least of our breweries. 

Asheville's top is much higher than here.  Burial and WW are most definitely stellar...with WW climbing toward World Class brewery. Add in Sierra Nevada's beer mecca, soon to be New Belgium, Highland, and you have the big time breweries.  Catawba, Pisgah, Hi Wire, Asheville Brewing, and Greenman all distribute great beers throughout the state. 

Charlotte has some good breweries for sure, but we have nothing close to Wicked Weed, we have no Sierra Nevada or Highland, and the beers at Burial are downright fantastic. They deserve the attention they get (and Asheville has been doing it much much much longer than Charlotte).  Add in the fact the a lot of the Asheville breweries can and bottle and distribute throughout the state really gets their name out there. 

• Like 1

Asheville's top is much higher than here.  Burial and WW are most definitely stellar...with WW climbing toward World Class brewery. Add in Sierra Nevada's beer mecca, soon to be New Belgium, Highland, and you have the big time breweries.  Catawba, Pisgah, Hi Wire, Asheville Brewing, and Greenman all distribute great beers throughout the state. 

Charlotte has some good breweries for sure, but we have nothing close to Wicked Weed, we have no Sierra Nevada or Highland, and the beers at Burial are downright fantastic. They deserve the attention they get (and Asheville has been doing it much much much longer than Charlotte).  Add in the fact the a lot of the Asheville breweries can and bottle and distribute throughout the state really gets their name out there. 

I actually disagree with the statement that Charlotte breweries have nothing close to Wicked Weed. WW specializes in Sours mostly which to me is their niche. And they do a great job with them and nobody in State can touch that (actually mostly nobody on the East Coast can either). But outside of that plenty of breweries here (NoDa, Birdsong, Free Range, Triple C, etc) can run with them and others. WW's Pernicious IPA is solid but I'm actually a bigger fan of NoDa's Hop Drop n Roll  -- they have identical ratings on Beer Advocate. Highland is vastly overrated (Cold Mountain has become way over hyped), Hi Wire is mostly meh to me with exception to Man Eater, and Sierra Nevada is not even their home grown brewery as it's their East Coast operations. All that being said, Asheville still is the most recognized place for beer in the Southeast, but to dismiss Charlotte is short sited. Now that the breweries here are moving into larger facilities and getting a bigger handle on their bottling/canning I think you'll see even more recognition. 

Edited by HopHead

Charlotte delivers in a serious way!  NoDa, Triple C, Sycamore, and Birdsong bring some amazing beers!  Heck, Sycamore did 102 different beers in their first year alone!  Triple C has some of the best barrel aged beers I've ever tasted, and NoDa just opened their large facility.  What?!?!  Plus, Triple C and Sycamore just medaled at GABF!  The QC may not be the media darling, but who cares?  I'm proud and feel fortunate to drink here!

The QC may not be the media darling, but who cares?

I definitely think that will eventually change. Charlotte breweries are pumping out some top notch stuff but with the exception of OMB, NoDa (and maybe 3C?) most are not really that established yet. Sure, locally all of these guys are very well known, but go to South Carolina or Georgia and I bet you'd be hard pressed to find someone that has ever heard of Birdsong or Sycamore. Pretty much all of the Asheville breweries listed above have longevity on their side. I say in another five years or so and after a fistful more gold medals that are surely coming Charlotte's way hearing OMB and NoDa spoken of alongside Highland, Burial, and WW will be pretty common.

Also, has OMB ever won a medal of consequence?  Their beer is so mundane.

Their beer is an almost perfect representation of each style -- be it the Copper (Alt), or the Pilsner, or the Marzen, and probably the others.  They aren't my personal favorite styles, but they are extremely good.

• Like 1

I actually disagree with the statement that Charlotte breweries have nothing close to Wicked Weed. WW specializes in Sours mostly which to me is their niche. And they do a great job with them and nobody in State can touch that (actually mostly nobody on the East Coast can either). But outside of that plenty of breweries here (NoDa, Birdsong, Free Range, Triple C, etc) can run with them and others. WW's Pernicious IPA is solid but I'm actually a bigger fan of NoDa's Hop Drop n Roll  -- they have identical ratings on Beer Advocate. Highland is vastly overrated (Cold Mountain has become way over hyped), Hi Wire is mostly meh to me with exception to Man Eater, and Sierra Nevada is not even their home grown brewery as it's their East Coast operations. All that being said, Asheville still is the most recognized place for beer in the Southeast, but to dismiss Charlotte is short sited. Now that the breweries here are moving into larger facilities and getting a bigger handle on their bottling/canning I think you'll see even more recognition. 

You just made my point while disagreeing with me! 

WW is one of the best breweries on the East Coast. We don't have anything that compares to that, especially in the highly popular sours and barrel aged beers. Anyway, you can't compare Charlotte breweries to Asheville breweries unless you have frequented taprooms in both cities a lot. I consistently find better/more interesting beers in the tap rooms in Asheville than I do here. Just my opinion, but many others have the same opinion. In weird beer-cation news for Asheville, I have run into Todd and Suzie Ford (Noda owners) taproom hopping in Asheville (which is just really really weird to have it happen 3 times in a row). People just love to go to Asheville and drink and walk their way around town.

I'm not dogging Charlotte. I am a huge beer dork (and have been for a decade plus) and love what Charlotte is doing. I drink 90% local (at least NC if not CLT) when possible. I'm just saying Asheville deserves the recognition they get. 

PS - Have you been up to Sierra Nevada? I don't care if it isn't homegrown. That place is f'ing amazing in every possible way. 

You just made my point while disagreeing with me! 

WW is one of the best breweries on the East Coast. We don't have anything that compares to that, especially in the highly popular sours and barrel aged beers. Anyway, you can't compare Charlotte breweries to Asheville breweries unless you have frequented taprooms in both cities a lot. I consistently find better/more interesting beers in the tap rooms in Asheville than I do here. Just my opinion, but many others have the same opinion. In weird beer-cation news for Asheville, I have run into Todd and Suzie Ford (Noda owners) taproom hopping in Asheville (which is just really really weird to have it happen 3 times in a row). People just love to go to Asheville and drink and walk their way around town.

I'm not dogging Charlotte. I am a huge beer dork (and have been for a decade plus) and love what Charlotte is doing. I drink 90% local (at least NC if not CLT) when possible. I'm just saying Asheville deserves the recognition they get. 

PS - Have you been up to Sierra Nevada? I don't care if it isn't homegrown. That place is f'ing amazing in every possible way. 

Well, I wasn't trying to make your point in disagreeing with you if I did... LOL. Wicked Weed, best sour beers I've had and I used to not like them at all. Black Angel is a personal favorite. To me that brewery stands head and shoulders above anything in Asheville. So, ok as a whole there isn't one brewery in Charlotte that does everything they do. However, I still stand by the notion that you can find various breweries in Charlotte that does one or more things as well as they do outside of sours -- that was the point I was trying to make earlier which maybe wasn't clear. Triple C for example has great barrel aged beers (Bourbon Barrel Milk Chocolate Pretzel Stout, Eyes of the World, etc). NoDa basically pees great hoppy beers (HDnR, Hop Cakes, NoDaRyezed, Hoppy Holidays, etc). Anyways, not trying to turn this into the great beer debate, and Asheville deserves the praise they get. My point was just that Charlotte shouldn't be quickly dismissed, even if it's a new kid on the block. I really think the reputation here will only continue to grow. I've only been to Sierra Nevada in Cali, not the one in Asheville. 

Edited by HopHead
  • Like 1