Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

^The location is brilliant, and hopefully the current building will be updated and make that part of Central a little less boring. The plans look great, especially with the preserved green space (hopefully used for a beer garden/patio) and the plans mentions food truck parking! Food trucks and beers... what's better?!

EDIT- The location is slap-bang-in-the-middle of 2 Phase 3 Streetcar stops, I'd guess the nearest one will be a 2 min walk away! That is great for me, walk to Mint of Gateway stop, take the streetcar, walk to brewery, get drunk, do it in reverse! :D

Edited by Piedmont767

Pretty excited about The Broken Spoke (they'll have beer thus discussing in this thread :huh:)

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/29742/insider-new-great-wagon-road-distillery-sister-bar-broken-spoke-jaw-dropping/

Looks like a great place to hang out and just unwind.  Hopefully the rumored social house concept goes into the Harvest Foods building.  This will be a nice little brewery/entertainment area.

What's the name of the Beer Delivery Service in Charlotte? My dad is driving up for the Panthers v. Giants game in December, and I'm going to get him to drive up Charlotte Beers for Tailgating, but I don't trust him to get what I want. Anyone remember what its called?

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

What's the name of the Beer Delivery Service in Charlotte? My dad is driving up for the Panthers v. Giants game in December, and I'm going to get him to drive up Charlotte Beers for Tailgating, but I don't trust him to get what I want. Anyone remember what its called?

http://www.brewpublik.com/

15 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Good Bottle does delivery now. 

On 12/2/2015, 8:56:25, NeverSummer said:

I got into a mild debate last night with a friend regarding which breweries are actually in South End.  I think that the little OMB pocket that has developed is actually further South of South End and he disagreed.  Does anyone know the correct answer?  Thanks, guys.

Sugar Creek just called it LoSo (lower southend) on the tweeter machine.  Also, they announced they're releasing the Dubbel in bottles on Dec 22.  Six days ago they said "coming to bottles soon....our Belgian Tripel".  I'm assuming both those are 12oz 6-packs, but neither specified.

1 hour ago, grodney said:

Sugar Creek just called it LoSo (lower southend) on the tweeter machine.  Also, they announced they're releasing the Dubbel in bottles on Dec 22.  Six days ago they said "coming to bottles soon....our Belgian Tripel".  I'm assuming both those are 12oz 6-packs, but neither specified.

The dubbel is in bomber bottles (well at least according to a pic they posted on FB). I would assume the tripel is as well. 

Bulldog Southend tweetered that they will open tonight.

Within the space of a year this section of Southend has become quite the beer district between Craft, Bulldog, Wooden Robot and Brass Tap. (purposely omitted Unknown, I have had real trouble warming up to it)

Edited by kermit

8 minutes ago, kermit said:

Within the space of a year this section has become quite the beer district between Craft, Bulldog, Wooden Robot and Brass Tap.

woah! that was fast!

48 minutes ago, kermit said:

Within the space of a year this section of Southend has become quite the beer district between Craft, Bulldog, Wooden Robot and Brass Tap. (purposely omitted Unknown, I have had real trouble warming up to it)

Yeah I really like most of Unknown's beer but after a few tries realized I just don't like hanging out there. It always seems to be either too empty or too crowded (during events) and just isn't a welcoming space. I think they could definitely fix it with some interior work and a better patio but maybe its just not their focus. 

Two sycamore related items. 

They are expanding their tap room next year. Amazing that they are doing this only a year in. I applaud their success in a spot where nobody would imagined such an establishment 5 years ago. I can't wait to see the area expand and feed off their energy. 

Foodtruck Friday will not be going to Wilmore Centennial Park thank god. I had felt like this was the death blow to the park and would make it never happen. Interestingly enough they have formed a partnership with sycamore and will be using their lot and our parcels for the new food truck Friday. As mentioned above I can't wait to see the area around it change and thrive as more residences, offices, retail and restaurants open up over there. Alive after five in the early and mid 2000s changed the feel and culture of uptown and I feel like Food Truck Friday did too. I'm happy to see charottes weekly festival move to that part of town. Soon it'll be joined by a new concept by RuSans next door, town homes, the redevelopment of the Lenny boy lot, and from what I hear common market.

Edited by Guest

On December 11, 2015 at 10:24 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Two sycamore related items. 

They are expanding their tap room next year. Amazing that they are doing this only a year in. I applaud their success in a spot where nobody would imagined such an establishment 5 years ago. I can't wait to see the area expand and feed off their energy. 

Foodtruck Friday will not be going to Wilmore Centennial Park thank god. I had felt like this was the death blow to the park and would make it never happen. Interestingly enough they have formed a partnership with sycamore and will be using their lot and our parcels for the new food truck Friday. As mentioned above I can't wait to see the area around it change and thrive as more residences, offices, retail and restaurants open up over there. Alive after five in the early and mid 2000s changed the feel and culture of uptown and I feel like Food Truck Friday did too. I'm happy to see charottes weekly festival move to that part of town. Soon it'll be joined by a new concept by RuSans next door, town homes, the redevelopment of the Lenny boy lot, and from what I hear common market.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/30328/sycamore-brewing-is-planning-a-second-taproom/

So extra info! :) 

Looks like Legion is panning a Thursday opening.  

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/morning-edition/2015/12/plaza-midwood-brewery-targets-thursday-opening.html?ana=e_clt_rdup&s=newsletter&ed=2015-12-15&u=32322357774fbfcfabab8cda4e2273&t=1450185226

I wouldn't hold my breath though. Until the permits are in hand, I don't know why places even put a date out there.  Broken Spoke in Southend this weekend had a "we plan to open Saturday" and then never got the permits on-time.  

43 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Looks like Legion is panning a Thursday opening.  

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/morning-edition/2015/12/plaza-midwood-brewery-targets-thursday-opening.html?ana=e_clt_rdup&s=newsletter&ed=2015-12-15&u=32322357774fbfcfabab8cda4e2273&t=1450185226

I wouldn't hold my breath though. Until the permits are in hand, I don't know why places even put a date out there.  Broken Spoke in Southend this weekend had a "we plan to open Saturday" and then never got the permits on-time.  

Good ol' Brewery Time.  BizJournal article from late Oct 2014 saying they hope to open in the "Spring".  And that's how 6-8 months turns into 14.  http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/10/legion-brewing-signs-lease-in-plaza-midwood-plans.html

Anyway, I have to believe this place is going to kill it.

1 hour ago, grodney said:

Good ol' Brewery Time.  BizJournal article from late Oct 2014 saying they hope to open in the "Spring".  And that's how 6-8 months turns into 14.  http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/10/legion-brewing-signs-lease-in-plaza-midwood-plans.html

Anyway, I have to believe this place is going to kill it.

I was able to pop my head in this week. The space is expansive, with even more room to grow. The actual brew room is by far the most impressive part to me. I have a very unsophisticated palate, but they had a pilsner that I found pretty similar in profile to a cap't jack (which I really like).. I just really wish this space had more patio.

16 minutes ago, Crown said:

I was able to pop my head in this week. The space is expansive, with even more room to grow. The actual brew room is by far the most impressive part to me. I have a very unsophisticated palate, but they had a pilsner that I found pretty similar in profile to a cap't jack (which I really like).. I just really wish this space had more patio.

I haven't stopped by in person, however, all the pictures I've seen have floored me. The decor and millwork really pay homage to North Carolina. It reminds me of going into BBQ restaurants in the heart of the Piedmont and traveling all over the state. Cant wait to check it out. 

Hats off to QCQ for starting the very appropriate boycott against our macro-overlords:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/12/15/queen-city-q-to-boycott-anheuser-busch-inbev.html?ana=twt

Now if we can just get 20 more local establishments to join in we might be able to make some headway against our problematic micro-distribution laws.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crown said:

I really wish they could have / would have utilized the roof for outdoor space.

• Like 1

^^ People underestimate the power of the patio. I was at Heist and Noda (N Tryon) on Saturday and both patios were completely full.  I also stopped at Noda (Original) as well and it was no where near as busy but those that were there, we crammed outside on the little sliver of patio they have. 

Besides January/February/July/August...most of us craft drinkers prefer a spot in the sun!  That said, NoDa's new location is gonna be an oven during the summer. Not a lick of shade. Really wish they would have spend a few thousand and gotten some big oak trees started on the west side of the patio.