Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

Going through some misc news -- most of you probably already follow all these breweries, but if not:

- Three Spirits will *not* be at Oktoberfest -- won't have licensing done in time.  They are trying to finalize the brewery layout so construction can get going.

- D9 is having a grand opening at their new location Sep 13 and 14, and will be expanding their hours.

- Sycamore is having a t-shirt sale -- use promo code DRINKLOCAL for 50% off.  http://www.sycamorebrew.com/shop/

Okay, yet another brewery "Coming Soon" to South End that I had missed until now -- Wooden Robot Brewery.  According to bizpedia: "Wooden Robot Brewery, LLC is a North Carolina Limited-Liability Company filed on February 21, 2014. ".  According to the twitter machine (where they have about 100 followers), they are narrowing down locations in South End, and will be an "urban farmhouse craft brewery" brewing "Belgian inspired American ales".  Facebook/Twitter/Instagram, but no web page I could find.

My updated brewery quick-reference: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmDt3ts8a8dLdDVkUWxkOEtoZmJZNUN2ZEhiZ19CWHc&usp=sharing

In other news, I finally went to Carolina Beer Temple (in Matthews) last night.  Wow, I liked this place.  Great coffee-house feel.  Small tables, music playing, relaxing atmosphere for a beer and a conversation. Nice decorations featuring local beer, and good attention to detail.  Great selection of bottles and great selection on tap, about 8 NC, 4 belgian, and 4 other.  Prices are typical bottle-shop high, but last night had several on sale for $3/pint.  They have sandwiches and chips and dips, but also allow and encourage food to be brought in or delivered at any time.

Okay, yet another brewery "Coming Soon" to South End that I had missed until now -- Wooden Robot Brewery.  According to bizpedia: "Wooden Robot Brewery, LLC is a North Carolina Limited-Liability Company filed on February 21, 2014. ".  According to the twitter machine (where they have about 100 followers), they are narrowing down locations in South End, and will be an "urban farmhouse craft brewery" brewing "Belgian inspired American ales".  Facebook/Twitter/Instagram, but no web page I could find.

I just filled up my craft brewery lingo bingo card!

• Like 2

Greensboro's mayor is full of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Stone goes to VA or OH but they always said East of the Mississippi. How does that Mayor not think either the Northeast or VA are on the East Coast.

I think she got egg on her face when she claimed Greensboro was on a shortlist when Stone reps claimed there wasn't one, and I think she is trying to cover herself by somehow implying that Stone is so suddenly after putting Greensboro on a short list deciding "ooops we just realized we only want the Northeast, Ohio, and Virginia"

Was up there today, not much happening at the site. Unknown, on the other hand, is brewing on site and has a solid tap list. Lots if small batches too.

I've been pretty pleased with all of Unknown's beers. Recently the Silverback Stout and the beers they made for their bacon festival were particularly great. Its a shame their tap room isn't a little more inviting but I still think they're doing well and are having a great impact on that area. 

RE: Stone Brewing. I realize it would have been a nice coupe to land Stone but I really don't mind them going somewhere else for their East Coast brewery. Charlotte has really developed a solid craft brewery scene on its own. Don't need a west coast brewery to come in to justify it. Would it have been a bonus? Sure. But would rather see the local craft beer scene grow organically.

• Like 2

Last Friday on my way home after work, I jumped off the light rail at Bland, walked over and filled up my growler at The Beer Growler, and then got back on the train.  Suburban money being spent in South End -- thanks to the light rail.  And I got a delicious tripel from Huske Hardware in Fayetteville.  Win/win. (I was on the 4:20 outbound, had 3 samples and a growler fill, and made it back for the 4:40 outbound.)

Oh, and I kept it cold by bringing my Pack-It (freezable lunch bag - http://www.packit.com ) to work and throwing it in the freezer:

Has anyone heard anything about Free Range? I thought they'd be open by now, across from Amelies…?

They posted to FB Jun 13 that they needed to move a large amount of reclaimed lumber in preparation for build-out.  They poured Jun 14 at State of Origin festival in Morganton. No mention of possible opening date.

Some article about Charlotte beer recently said something like "hopefully open by year's end", but I almost took that to be the author's word/thinking, not anything they'd gotten from the brewery.

• 2 weeks later...

Updates:

Birdsong expanded their Sat/Sun hours to 12-10 and 12-8.  Previously they were 2-10 and 2-7.

As you know, OMB's grand opening in their new space is Aug 15, and Sugar Creek is taking over their old space.  Sugar Creek posted to the facebook on Aug 2: "we will have a temporary tap room set up in mid to late August while we do the re-model in the actual tap room".  Asked about food in the tap room, they responded: "yes we are planning on doing the most popular street food in Europe.  Doner kebab/Gyro/Pitas depending on which version you like"

Sycamore posted on their website July 30: "If we had to call it right now, and please understand that we still have a great number of uncertainties, we think our doors will finally open later this September."

Three Spirits posted Aug 4 that they will hopefully begin construction next month.

Updated #cltbeer quick-reference guide: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmDt3ts8a8dLdDVkUWxkOEtoZmJZNUN2ZEhiZ19CWHc&usp=sharing

Edit:  Also, coming soon to the 7th Street Public Market -- Tank's Tap.  "12 Charlotte beers on tap and many more in can and bottle.".  He also has a growler filler.  https://www.facebook.com/tankstap/ .  Sorry, I don't know why that link didn't work.

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1

7th Street market is getting Tank's Tap, a bar 'showcasing' local craft beers. plus growler fills and some cans. Should seat about 12 people around the bar and promises to host 'lots' of special events.

My fingers are crossed. I recently drank in a very similar place in the Indianapolis Public Market (it only sold Indiana beer). It was a great place which, although its setting was _much_ nicer than anything in 7th street can ever be. I will give this the benefit of the doubt, if its done right, the Tap could really extend activity at 7th street market.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/08/08/charlotte-beers-gain-prominence-at-uptown-market.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2014-08-08&u=jDmEk%20CKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1407537983&page=all

Edited by kermit

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/08/11/olde-mecklenburg-brewery-to-host-grand-opening.html

Here is an article and some great pics in-regard to the new Olde Meck Brewery.

I finally got around to flipping through these pics. Their new brewery is just massive and looks pretty darn impressive. Can't wait to check it out in person... I enjoy seeing our local breweries investing here on their own like this instead of throwing incentives at some other guy from another part of the country.

Does anyone know if NoDa will ever start canning Coco Loco?  Personally, that's my favorite NoDa beer, I think I would buy cases of them if they had them.

I read on a blog post this past week that it's next on the canning list. Expect to see CoCo LoCo in cans very soon.