Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

Speaking of which, I'm planning on doing a brewery crawl when I'm in town in July, if anyone is interested in joining.

Hopefully that's not on July 4th weekend (I'll be in VA Beach) or the weekend after (I'll be in Vegas), but I am definitely down for a brewery crawl one of the latter July weekends of you are here then.

• 2 weeks later...

This is more of a "drinking alcohol in Charlotte/NC" type thought, but this seems to be the most applicable thread.  What is to be done about our fairly restrictive alcohol regulations in the city?  While Charlotte has made decent improvements, it's still sad to watch our local businesses have to jocky and maneuver around 100 year old alcohol regulation simply to appease what seems to be a small sub-set of the population. 

Alcohol sales not allowed before noon on Sunday.  Frankly, this is a joke to me.  Watching everyone stand around anticipating the clock striking 12 on Sunday prior to Panthers games or EPL matches is just sad.  It benefits no one in the city and just looks silly.  Virtually every restaurant in the city could benefit from simply doing away with this restriction.

2am last call.  We are one of the 20 largest cities in the United States, but our city has a last call on par with cities like Champaign, Illinois.  Boston, Atlanta, Buffalo, Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, heck even FLORENCE can serve beer until 3am.  I'm not even the type of person that would utilize a later last call, I just think it would help in further developing the city nightlife by offering something different.

Brewery restrictions.  

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/charlotte-brewers-hit-snag-expanding-production/ngK7D/

Why is the city keeping laws in place to make it difficult for our blossoming brewing industry to expand?  On one side of the coin, we tout the possibility of attracting Stone, while on the other side we keep restrictive laws in place that may possibly push our home grown breweries out of the city!  Why!?

The city continues to grow, our laws need to evolve with that growth.  These are easy, cost effective fixes that can help grow the city economy (however minor the affect may be) and I don't see a lot of "negative" to any of these changes.

Your thoughts?

Quick edit to the brewery portion.  Note in the article the mayor of CORNELIUS has no problem poaching Charlotte's breweries.  A city of 26,000 with more progressive laws than Charlotte in regards to brewing is just pathetic.

Edited by ah59396

Alcohol sales not allowed before noon on Sunday.  Frankly, this is a joke to me.  Watching everyone stand around anticipating the clock striking 12 on Sunday prior to Panthers games or EPL matches is just sad.  It benefits no one in the city and just looks silly.  Virtually every restaurant in the city could benefit from simply doing away with this restriction.

Is this a state thing or a city/county thing?  If state, can the city/county override it?  Last year I wrote to each of my representatives in the NC legislature and asked them to introduce legislation to change this law, since there is absolutely no reason for it to exist.  Of course I didn't hear back from any of them, but at least I felt like I did "my part".

Is this a state thing or a city/county thing?  If state, can the city/county override it?  Last year I wrote to each of my representatives in the NC legislature and asked them to introduce legislation to change this law, since there is absolutely no reason for it to exist.  Of course I didn't hear back from any of them, but at least I felt like I did "my part".

I'm not sure, in all honesty.  I'd imagine there can be city exceptions, but I suppose that's dependent on the autonomy a city is granted in the state of North Carolina.  I'm not asking for the whole state to change, but the city limits.  Similar to how Atlanta is granted leeway to be, you know, a city.

ABC stores being closed all day Sunday is pretty stupid, too.  Again, no reason.

As far as the state/city thing goes, it appears it is state law.  From the 2 cites below, it appears that cities/counties may further *restrict* sales.

http://reports.abc.nc.gov/uploads/resources/43e805f02a254abd85cbc23135b17e97.pdf

"

Alcohol can only be sold or served Monday – Saturday

between 7 a.m. and 2 a.m. On Sundays, alcohol can only be 
 sold, served and consumed after Noon. Remember, 
 some cities and/or counties may further restrict 
 Sunday sales.
"

"

§ 18B-1004.  Hours for sale and consumption.

©        Sunday Hours. - It shall be unlawful to sell or consume alcoholic beverages on any licensed premises from the time at which sale or consumption must cease on Sunday morning until 12:00 Noon on that day.

(d)       Local Option. - A city may adopt an ordinance prohibiting in the city the retail sale of malt beverages, unfortified wine, and fortified wine during any or all of the hours from 12:00 Noon on Sunday until 7:00 A.M. on the following Monday. A county may adopt an ordinance prohibiting, in the parts of the county outside any city, the retail sale of malt beverages, unfortified wine, and fortified wine during any or all of the hours from 12:00 Noon on Sunday until 7:00 A.M. on the following Monday. Neither a city nor a county, however, may prohibit those sales in establishments having brown-bagging or mixed beverages permits.

"

Okay, well, I just wrote my representatives (Schaffer and Rucho) and asked their position on the laws, and asked if they will introduce legislation to repeal them.  Now I'm going to hold my breath until they answer me.

Sorry, didn't mean to sidetrack your other excellent points about breweries and last call, etc.  (Although Last Call also falls under the state law.)

Okay, well, I just wrote my representatives (Schaffer and Rucho) and asked their position on the laws, and asked if they will introduce legislation to repeal them.  Now I'm going to hold my breath until they answer me.

Sorry, didn't mean to sidetrack your other excellent points about breweries and last call, etc.  (Although Last Call also falls under the state law.)

No, no sidetrack at all.  I wanted this to be an open discussion.  I'm interested to see what they say.  Honestly the brewery thing and the noon on Sunday law are my biggest gripes.  I can live with the 2am last call, because it really doesn't affect me.  I do think it'd be beneficial for the city if it was relaxed a bit.  Maybe not in neighborhood locations, but what about inside of the 277 loop, staying open until 3am?  That'd be fairly reasonable, again if the city was able to have that leeway.

But especially those bars and restaurants right around the stadium, could benefit immensely from being able to serve before noon.  I'm not someone who is going to sit here and demand everyone get drunk for no reason at 8am on Sunday.  But is it really outlandish for someone to be able to buy a beer at 10am on a Sunday if they are going to the Panthers game?

How much does SouthEnd Love their beer?

Someone is opening another Common Market type establishment on S. Church in Southend… in this building no less.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.220011,-80.856643,3a,75y,264.35h,80.32t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sQPDA_1y5sjMEtkoRQPKudg!2e0

It will be called Craft Tasting Room and architect will be these guys...

http://hoodarch.com

Craft Tasting Room anbd Growler Shop
upfit for a new beer tasting, deli and retail shop
Edited by Guest

I knew it! I knew that building would be good for something. Looks like between that, Unknown, W.O.B., and The Beer Growler, I might have moved out of 1225 too soon (not really). 

The last two years I've flow to town for panthers game (1-3 in those games) and I've admired this little building. I too knew it was going to be something as well.

Sizable room for a patio back here… This place will be hot during panther season.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.219751,-80.856835,3a,75y,321.53h,69.61t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1stWfjLcRtlHfqtB2m3HHMCQ!2e0

Edited by Guest

The last two years I've flow to town for panthers game (1-3 in those games) and I've admired this little building. I too knew it was going to be something as well.

Sizable room for a patio back here… This place will be hot during panther season.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.219751,-80.856835,3a,75y,321.53h,69.61t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1stWfjLcRtlHfqtB2m3HHMCQ!2e0

The 2 spaces in that link are separate, with 1 being Unexpected Finds' new space (the thrift shop type place that used to be on Camden where Club Fetch is now). I think this Craft Tasting Room space is just fronting Lincoln, but including that brick section not just the beige. I don't think the other spaces would let them cover up their entrances with a patio at the back, but who knows. 

I heard about the plans for Sycamore brewery and it sounds like they're doing it right. They have a huge outdoor area between the building and the rail trail and they're planning what sounds like an amazing outdoor space there. Really looking forward to this one. 

• Like 1

Here's some speculation (favoring Charlotte) on the Stone thing:

http://blog.craftbeertraders.com/is-stone-hinting-charlotte/

The one thing I don't understand, though, is this: "Charlotte is expecting the announcement of a new brewery on 7.04.14.".

Anybody know anything about that?  I tried googling, but couldn't find anything.  Nor do I know what they mean by "Charlotte".

Last week as I drove by OMB's new location I noticed they were clearing out a lot of the under brush on the Tryon side of their property while leaving a good bit of the tall trees. Wasn't it mentioned that they were going to have a beer garden/patio area? Is this to be the location of said beer garden? If so, I feel this to be a huge upgrade from their previous outdoor patio. Very chill spot to enjoy a brew or two under the trees.

• Like 1

A couple updates to the "coming soon" breweries:

Sugar Creek - Website now says "August 2014". Last FB post Mar 24.  Last tweet today, but last tweet about anything brewery-related was glassware evaluation on Jun 5.

Sycamore - Tweeted Jun 29 that their opening is "looking September-ish". Tweeted Jun 29 DIY tap handles for 3 beers: Pecan Grove Brown, Summer Garden Cucumber-Rose Saison, and King's Breakfast Imperial Cream Stout.  Regular tweets and FB posts detailing build-out, brewing, landscaping, etc.  Lots of photos of their tanks being installed, etc.

Three Spirits - FB post Saturday (Jun 28) about making progress with distributors, consultants, architects, marketers, etc.  Have officially signed up to be pouring at Oktoberfest.

Free Range - Posted to FB Jun 13 that they needed to move a large amount of reclaimed lumber in preparation for build-out.  Poured Jun 14 at State of Origin festival in Morganton. No mention of possible opening date.

Updated brewery list:

By the way, OMB Grand Opening at new location Jul 19, although I haven't seen any word on if they will open that location before that date and/or when they will close the doors at their current location.
Edited by grodney