Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

On 3/9/2021 at 10:23 AM, PaulChinetti said:

https://www.thedutchmountains.nl/en/

This would be an awesome building anywhere in Nashville!

the_dutch_mountains-studio_marco_vermeulen-architecture_dezeen_2364_hero.jpg

Reminds me of the Buckingham Gulch proposal (albeit…two towers instead of one).  You could build this and make sure the that the building of the lady who was worried about her views is placed in the middle between these two buildings. :tw_lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The feds are toying around with changing the parameters of what constitutes a metropolitan area and also what's considered an urban area.  Right now, a metropolitan area needs to have a core urban area of 50,000, but they're considering upping that to 100,000.  If so, that means Tennessee will lose 3 metropolitan areas:  Jackson, Cleveland, and Morristown.  I could see Cleveland being folded into Chattanooga's MSA (which might happen anyway), but that means Jackson and Morristown would be downgraded to micropolitan status, and Cookeville would remain a micropolitan area.

But what could affect Nashville is the proposed new definition of an urban area.  Right now, the threshold is 500 residents per square mile.  They're proposing changing that to 385 housing units per square mile which would equal around 1,000 residents.  Given that a large chunk of Nashville's urban area includes some very sprawly neighborhoods out in the country, there's a very real possibility that the population of Nashville's urban area could actually decrease.

image.png.04876eb95de6e95e7299a75132f76fcc.png

Of course, Nashville wouldn't be the only one to potentially see its urban population shrink.  Atlanta would also be hard hit, as would most Sunbelt cities that grew up in the post-automobile era.

https://apnews.com/article/wisconsin-bismarck-census-2020-north-dakota-sheboygan-ad77e15f0f8cd13b8e398d2ca8339ca7

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I am actually in favor of this. The article didn't state that larger Metro's would be affected. The parameters of what is called our MSA are really stupid. To have counties like Trousdale, Smith , Macon, & Hickman in the MSA make no sense. I think is comes form the commute patterns.

Please  remember that metropolitan area is being used as a synonym for MSA in the article. One in the same.

A lot of these smaller cities are not really what I would call Metro areas. Cleveland should be combined into the Chattanooga MSA.

I do think that the smaller counties should be dropped Nashville's be combined with Clarksville. Makes a whole lot more sense when you look at the map.

Nashville could still be affected.  Its status as a metropolitan area of course is secure.  But since areas that don't meet the threshold of 385 homes per square mile could be dropped from the urban area boundaries, the population of Nashville's urban area (not to be confused with the metropolitan area) could decrease, or at the minimum, the number of square miles covered by Nashville's urban area could shrink as less dense neighborhoods are removed from the urban area boundaries. 

Metropolitan areas use county boundaries and don't care about urban areas other than the core/central city (which in Nashville's MSA are Nashville, Franklin, and Murfreesboro), not urban area boundaries, as long as the core urban area has a population of (right now) 50,000.  Rural counties with 0 urban areas can still be part of a metropolitan area if there are enough commuting patterns between the two counties (ie Trousdale County).  I agree that it's a stretch for someone in, say, Woodbury to say he lives in the "Nashville metropolitan area" but technically he's right since probably half of Cannon County works in Rutherford County.

Nashville's metropolitan area population is (2019) just shy of 2 million.  But its urban area population (2018) is about 1.1 million.  That latter number is the one that is in question right now.

I know that's all very confusing, and I don't know if I explained it very well.

• Like 2

On 3/2/2021 at 8:56 AM, markhollin said:

Mayor Cooper solicits private partner to overhaul underperforming on-street parking system.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2021/03/02/nashville-parking-mayor-john-cooper-seeks-new-on-street-system/4575811001/

Get ready for "WeGo Parking!"

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

When the SEC Men's Basketball Tournament returns in 2023, here's how different Nashville will look:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vols/2021/03/14/nashville-hotels-downtown-restaurants-sec-basketball-tournament-2023/4666517001/

Can you please share some of these photos for those who do not subscribe? Thanks

On 3/11/2021 at 1:09 PM, smeagolsfree said:

To have counties like Trousdale, Smith , Macon, & Hickman in the MSA make no sense. I think is comes form the commute patterns.

I disagree. If the data show that these areas are functionally tied to Nashville, M'boro or Franklin (via commuting or other economic measures), they should be part of the MSA.

Edited by Rockatansky
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, downtownresident said:

Read through the article, and reading between the lines from Bob Rolfe, we may see additional announcements soon. 

Open your third eye!

No but seriously Nashville’s tech sector has growth at an insane rate recently, I think the arrival of Amazon fully soon will help speed it up even more. In Miami things are the same way, California needs a lifeline.

• Like 2